• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Reid Saarela
Posted (edited)

All in all fishing this weekend was  slower than we had anticIpated. Our group caught walleyes here and there throughout the day but nothing special. Never dialed in a pattern as we caught fish as shallow as 4’ and as deep as 30’. The fish were very scattered and many of the males we caught were still milking. Our most consistent bite was off the dock each evening where we would get a few keepers and occasional slot fish. I assume fishing should improve as the fish start to congregate with warmer water temps in the next week or two. To recap, it was great weekend, beautiful weather and had enough for a big fish fry!

Edited by Reid Saarela
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

partyonpine

Saturday was really good, caught them in 12 feet. Lot of slot fish, Sunday we figured shallowed struckout until about 4 then found them in 36 feet at fectos and in 25 at night, best night of fishing in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stephen L Johnston Jr.

You guys got me a little jealous! Had to stay in town for mothers day this year but have managed to plan a trip up the next couple of weekends. Caught quite a few sunnies and crappies in under 3 feet of water on minnetonka so i figured i would see the same shallow water reports from my favorite minnesora lake. My mom and dad were on big sandy in which my mom found better luck in shallow water also, i think bringing home 6 in one night of fishing. Look forward to the city auto glass walleye classic and to catch a few waldos myself.

Pike Master

roony
Posted (edited)

Is the water starting to recede on the lakes East of Orr? I heard it was really high on Myrtle. We're coming up to Black Duck in a week or so, just wondering if things are getting back more towards normal. 

Edited by roony

delcecchi

Vermilion might be down a little, but not much.  Your lakes might be different.  

PSU

Water is pretty high on Vermilion for this time of the year. We were up over the weekend and got another 2 1/2 inches of rain!

guideman

Living on Vermilion for the last 25 years I can tell you that this is the highest water for this time of the season that I can remember. The last 20ft of my dock is still under water and there is more rain in the forecast. I would assume that most of the lakes in the area are also very high right now. ;) 

"Ace" ;) 

"It's just fishing man". ;) 

roony

Yes, the reason I asked was because I saw a picture of someone unloading their boat off the trailer right in the parking lot on Myrtle lake. I understand they got 6 inches of rain in early July. I was hoping some of that water would have gone down the river by now. On Vermilion I bet the rapids going into the Vermilion River are just roaring. 

Raven77

I was at Vermilion Falls a week ago today and the water flow was unreal.

IMG_1173.jpg

• Like 3

JV Ham Lake

Are there any outfitters who do rafting on the Vermilion river?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are currently hovering in the mid 70’s.

Minnesota walleye action has been really good with bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Gold spinners with hints of chartreuse, orange or just hammered gold are favored.  Walleye and occasional large pike can be had trolling deep diving crank baits around shoreline breaks and reefs.

Canadian walleye fishing continues to excite anglers via jigs and minnows. Pink or white jigs tipped with shiners will put fish in the boat.  Night crawlers on spinners will produce fish in the mud deeper than 25 feet. 

Musky action has been all over the place, fish are still being found in sandy, weedy bays, rock points and reefs.  The nearing new moon should have fish on the prowl this week. 

Congratulations to our neighbor and local guide, Forrest Huset and his dad Sean on their victory at the Lake of the Woods Musky Bowl this weekend!

Another neighbor, Jerry Klema, landed a 29 1/2 inch trophy walleye last week!

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!
      In Minnesota, walleye have been found using green, gold and orange spinners in 24-30 ft.  Jigging in the morning on tops of the reef has been the most productive.
      In Ontario, walleye fishing has been very good jigging on top of reefs as well, with gold and orange being the hot colors.  Musky fishing has been heating up as muskies are moving to the reefs and windblown points.  Multiple muskies have been caught over 50 inches within the last week.
      Happy Independence Day!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, Walleye fishing has been good in 18-28ft pulling hammered gold and orange lindy rigs.  Jigging has also been very productive on top of the reefs before the Walleye move out deeper onto the flats.  Key areas have been Dawson Island, Little Oak and Shady Island.

In Ontario, Walleye have been found deeper in 22-30ft.  A gold or chartreuse jig with a fathead or frozen shiner have been producing well around Deepwater bay, West side of Falcon and Gardner Island.  Many fish over 24 inches including a few Northern Pike and Muskie.  

Good luck and keep your lines wet!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Duffman
      It was a great three hours on the lake this afternoin/evening. I am chalking it up to that front skirting the metro.   I caught my biggest bass in quite a few years. Came in at 5.94 lbs, just a toad of a fish. A 4.87 lber, 3 more over 4 lbs, 7 bass in the 3-4 lb range, and two sub 3 lb fish.   I left the lake grinning ear to ear because I know outings like this are rare.    
    • delcecchi
      I bought a baitcasting reel from Amazon that was a brand I had never heard of.  So far it it is working ok.   As well as my revo s.  Piscifun Torrent is the reel. 
    • Andy Locken
      Anyone have current reports on the west end of the lake? Heading up there tomorrow. Gonna lodge at polleys so I'd prefer the west end. 
    • Wheres_Walter
      Thanks for the tip on 3M 5200.
    • chaffmj
      Nice fish! Were you able to get a weight and length?
    • chaffmj
      Thanks for the replies and the helpful tips. I will keep after them but I hope it is not 16 seasons before I catch one. 😁
    • Rick
      Counties collect Payment in Lieu of Taxes for state-owned land not subject to property tax Minnesota’s 87 counties are the beneficiaries of $35.7 million in aid that helps support public lands and provides a critical link in the state’s public recreation system, according to the Department of Natural Resources. Annual payments for Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILT), a property tax relief program that offsets revenues not collected on public lands, recently were distributed by the state’s Department of Revenue. Counties have received PILT payments annually since 1979 in place of property taxes on 5.6 million acres of state-managed lands and 2.8 million acres of county-managed tax-forfeited lands. Dollars for the payments come from the state’s general fund. “PILT payments are an important source of revenue to those Minnesota counties and townships that have public lands within their borders, but the benefits of public lands go far beyond these payments,” said DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr. “Public-owned lands contribute significantly to local economies by supporting timber and mineral production while providing wild places for recreation and tourism, habitat for hundreds of species of fish and wildlife, and important ecological services like clean air and water,” Landwehr said. “These public-owned lands are part of the social and economic fabric of Minnesota. Counties received anywhere from $18,346 in Red Lake County up to $3,792,466 in St. Louis County. The 2018 PILT payments represent a $3.6 million increase over those made in 2017, largely due to legislation that increased the per-acre payment from $1.50 to $2 per acre on nearly 7 million acres of natural resources lands and county-managed tax-forfeited lands. The state makes PILT payments on public lands including state parks and forests, school trust lands, scientific and natural areas and wildlife management areas, Consolidated-Conservation lands as well as county-managed tax-forfeited lands. Payment rates vary according to land type and range from $2 per acre, to the greater of $5.133 per acre or three-quarters of 1 percent of appraised value. Payment for Lake Vermilion Soudan Underground Mine State Park is assessed at 1.5 percent of the appraised value of the land. St. Louis County Commissioner Frank Jewell of Duluth thanked legislators for their recent boost in PILT payments to counties. “We are blessed with an abundance of public land in St. Louis County, but those lands are exempt from county property taxation,” Jewell said. “PILT helps reduce the strain on county budgets by replacing some of that uncollected tax revenue. It’s a very positive development for our county and decreases the property tax impact on our citizens.” A breakdown of PILT payments for each county is posted on the Department of Revenue website at www.revenue.state.mn.us/local_gov/prop_tax_admin/aclb/pilt_bycounty.pdf More information about Minnesota’s public land portfolio, PILT payments, and a brief history of major public land transactions is available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/publiclands.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Charles Perry, of Winona, has been named the 2017 DNR firearms safety volunteer instructor of the year. He has been a longtime advocate for firearms safety and outdoors education and a certified instructor with the DNR since the early 2000s.  Perry, who is president of the Lewiston Sportsmen’s Club, works tirelessly to encourage youth involvement in the outdoors. (Pictured: Enforcement Regional Training Officer Chelsie Leuthardt and Chuck Perry.) Along with a teaching team of at least 14 other instructors – many of whom he recruited – Perry teaches both traditional and online firearms safety courses. In addition, he leads a “Kids in the Outdoors” program, assists with two high school trap-shooting teams, organizes and teaches a program aimed at introducing archery and outdoor safety to kids, and has provided individual firearms safety days for youth who weren’t able to attend group classes. “The time and effort that Perry puts into his classes and outdoor education for kids in general is staggering,” said Tom Hemker, the Winona-area conservation officer who nominated him for the award. “He does everything. He wants to give back and mentor others in the outdoor activities he’s always loved.” Known as the go-to person in his community for questions about safety education or organized outdoor activities, Perry has taken kids hunting who don’t come from hunting families but have shown an interest in the outdoors. He shares his knowledge about places where people can hunt and shoot and constantly looks for ways to spark in kids a connection with the outdoors. During the winter, for example, he’s organized events that revolve around hunting for shed deer antlers. “We all need to do our part to ensure the continuation of our proud tradition of hunting and conservation, and Chuck is a shining example of the difference that dedicated and motivated individuals can make,” said Capt. Jon Paurus, safety training education manager for the DNR Enforcement Division. “The commitment he shows to youth education is vital in a changing society where fewer people have a strong connection to fishing, hunting and the outdoors.” More than 4,000 volunteer instructors teach DNR firearms safety courses across the state, certifying annually an average of about 24,000 adults and youth. Since the firearms safety program began in 1955, more than 1.3 million students have been certified. DNR firearms safety certification is required of anyone born after Dec. 31, 1979 to buy a hunting license in Minnesota. Youth age 11 and older can attend a firearms safety certification course and receive their certificate, which becomes valid at age 12. For more information on the dates and locations of available safety courses, see mndnr.gov/safety/firearms/index.html or call 800-366-8917. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      All-terrain vehicle users registered for private or agricultural use can explore both the old and new trails without cost Sept. 7 to 9. Typically they would pay the registration fee ($60 for three years) to ride the public trails.  Minnesota has 3,000 miles of state forest and grant-in-aid trails available to ATV users. The state also has more than 200 miles of new trails that were completed this year. Out-of-state riders can explore Minnesota ATV trails that weekend as well, without the need for a nonresident trail pass ($30 annually). This is the fifth year that Minnesota is providing ATV riders with free access during “No Registration Weekend.” The date was pushed back from June so new trails could be completed, including the 159-mile route connecting communities in northwestern Itasca County, as well as a trail connecting Balsam and Bigfork. “The September weekend gives us a great opportunity to introduce a wide variety of state and grant-in-aid trails across Minnesota,” said Mary Straka, off-highway vehicle (OHV) program consultant for the Parks and Trails Division at the DNR. “There are a large number of privately registered ATVs across the state. During the No Registration Weekend, ATV owners can check out the public trails for free.” Minnesota’s two newest trails are: The Alvwood to Squaw Lake trail, which makes a 159-mile scenic tour through Bowstring State Forest and the Chippewa National Forest. Enjoy the many communities along the route. The trail is provided by Itasca County and the Alvwood-Squaw Lake ATV Club. The Bigfork to Balsam (B&B) 33-mile trail is full of diverse northern landscapes.  It connects to the Little Moose ATV Trail off Co. Road 336. Other recreational favorites include these: The Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area, a 1,200-acre OHV park in Gilbert with 36 miles of scenic trails for riders of all abilities. The 100-mile trail system in Nemadji State Forest, which connects to the Matthew Lourey State Trail and the Gandy Dancer Trail. The 29-mile Spider Lake trail system in Foot Hills State Forest, where riders will curve around lakes and ponds, go up and down a variety of hills, and view overlooks from the ridges throughout the forest. The 200-mile Northwoods Regional Trail System in Aitkin and Itasca counties, where riders will use the Soo Line Trail to connect to local communities and trail loops. Safety training is recommended for everyone that operates an ATV. It is required for ATV riders born after July 1, 1987. Children under age 18 must wear a DOT-certified helmet. Children age 16 and under must fit the ATV they are operating and be able to properly reach and control the handlebars and reach the foot pegs while sitting upright on the ATV. Trail maps, updates on trail conditions, Youth ATV Safety training and other OHV information can be found online at www.mndnr.gov/ohv. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Educational displays, exhibits, presentations, and music and entertainment highlight the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ annual exhibit at the Minnesota State Fair, which runs Aug. 23-Sept. 3 in Falcon Heights.  This year’s theme, “Public lands, owned by you, managed by DNR” will be showcased with a Legacy Amendment 10th anniversary tribute. “We are shining the spotlight on public lands because we know Minnesotans truly value them for recreation, conservation and their economic benefits,” said Dawn Flinn, who helps coordinate the DNR exhibits. The DNR State Fair log building opened 84 years ago; its park-like location provides fairgoers with a great opportunity to experience the outdoors in the midst of carnival rides and food stands. “It’s a popular state fair landmark, meeting place and must-visit destination that has helped generations of people create life-long memories,” Flinn said, adding “Minnesotans are passionate about the state’s natural resources. This is a great way for us to spread the word about how interesting, important and exciting nature is.” The new Legacy Amendment exhibit in the DNR building will provide visitors with an actual red carpet treatment, and features a children’s play area as well as information on the many ways Legacy funds conserve and improve public land. Informational displays show how Legacy Amendment dollars are spent, but visitors can choose a lighter activity, such as having their photo taken on the red carpet. Other displays inside the DNR building include state parks and trails, wildlife, rocks and minerals, aquatic invasive species, state lands and forests. Other features at the DNR building and exhibit include: Outdoor fish pond with about three dozen fish species. Photo opportunities from the giant hiking boot in the forestry exhibit. DNR fire tower; visitors can climb its 84 steps. Presentations, bird shows and musicians on the DNR Volunteer Outdoor Stage and Garden Stage. People can also buy hunting, fishing licenses and state park vehicle permits at the DNR building. Les Kouba Outdoors will be located in a building just east of the outdoor fish pond. A portion of their merchandise sales will be used to assist with DNR moose research. For schedule of events, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/events/statefair/schedules.html. The DNR’s State Fair building and surrounding park area are located at the corner of Carnes Avenue and Nelson Street in Falcon Heights. It will be open 9 a.m.-9 p.m. daily during the fair. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.