• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011 Turkey Pic's

Archerysniper

Another great bird Wally! Beautiful country you live in out there. Do you use that wingbone caller? Homemade, or store bought?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• DonBo

• Wallydog

• sticknstring

Don,

I do use the wingbone, though I've made several, this one was made by Lovett Williams. The wingbone is one of my "loud" calls I use when trying to strike a bird from my fixed position.

Another of my loud calls is the Alabama Cackler made by Billy White.

WD

May have to try one. I've made several wing bones myself, but never got real comfortable using them. I'm assuming there's a learning curve to them as in the diaphram?

My go-to long distance call is a box by the Rohme Bros. in PA.

Finally, got it done on the last day! Started at one piece of state land this morning, didn't hear a gobble, so I headed to another piece of county land. Started walking and saw a hen, kept walking and heard a gobble a long ways off, then another. Started booking it to where it was coming from and snuck down a trail to the edge of a big clear cut. They were somewhere on the far side of the clear cut, and still gobbling. I knelt down on the edge of the trail to try and figure out which way they were going. They kept gobbling and it started to get closer. Before I knew it, they were only 75 yards away or less and closing fast. All of a sudden I see a couple red heads moving through the brush, all the while I'm pinned on the edge of the trail. They decided to take my trail and out pops five jake less than 20 yards away, heading right at me. At this point I was laying on my side, on the edge of the trail, with no cover. I had to let them get even closer, as I wasn't in a position to shoot. They kept coming and got to within 7 yards, then stopped and we were all staring eye to eye. They started acting nervous and I knew it was time, so I popped up and shot this one. 17lbs. Pretty fun way to end the season smile

Turkey2011-1-1.jpg

I've shot a few that have seen me, it gets pretty exciting there for a little bit!

Here are a couple of fine Idaho Rios that first time youth hunters whacked out of my "silo" during our youth hunts April 8 & 9.

215630_1967618308321_1178831845_32503527

217748_1967617868310_1178831845_32503524

215455_1967617748307_1178831845_32503523

205594_1967618788333_1178831845_32503528

First time tom in the snow! Not the largest,but a 9" beard isn't bad for a first timer!

full-7610-8067-turkey2.jpg

Congrats on the great tom and in the snow to boot way to go bet your hooked now.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Gotta love that picture.

Congrats on a very nice tom in the snow!

I'm definitely hooked,was a great morning to be out despite the change in weather. It did make for a scenic background.

Easten Oregon USA. 12 year old Kole handled the morning perfectly. Rise at 0400, quick breakfast, short drive and ¼ mile walk in total darkness. I set the decoys in (dark) view of the dozen birds roosted a mere 75 yards away. We heard the river bottom wake up and watched the birds fly down into the alfalfa field. 4 jakes first and they headed in another direction…….wonder if the saw me/us walking in? Then the hens flew down and began milling around 75 yds distant. It looked they might head away like the jakes. Then the last jake and the longbeard fly down. I was concerned they too might wander off…..but the jake couldn’t stand it and headed right for my strutter decoy. The longbeard couldn’t stand the jake beating him to the decoys and came running. What followed was a mild thrashing of my strutting decoy by both birds 20 yards distant. Kole whacked the jake and I whacked the longbeard at 7:15 a.m.

Yee haaa, high fives and hugs.

222215_1996979642336_1178831845_32538016

215633_1996980522358_1178831845_32538019

Gotta love when a plan comes together WD!

Good job getting all those kids on birds Wally! Looks like another great season out west.

IMG_0013.jpg

My uncle Neil with his bird from this morning in the Black Hills, SD.

Still working on mine.

We had a week full of a ton of encounters opportunities and he's not big enoughs. We went 5 for 5 with only one missed bird, two doubles and almost a triple. Then I mentored for the NWTF youth hunt where the kids went 5 for 11 in some of the worst weather for turkey hunting. It was a great week and fun spending time with a marine home on his two week leave from over seas. What we have noticed was little calling in the trees then nothing in the fields. When running and gunning in the trees birds would gobble once or twice then come in silent. The hens seemed to come in on a dead run almost, but if they had a Tom with they would slowly come in. The jakes would come in on a trot most of the time. It may not have been a great conditions for hunting but we made the best out of it.

full-33398-8132-dannieturkey.jpg

full-33398-8133-kellyandjeremy.jpg

Looks like a lot of success stories.

Congrats on all the nice birds!

My wife's first turkey. I sat with her Saturday and Sunday but we didn't have much luck. I had to work today, so she was going out by herself this morning. I always do the calling, so last night I showed her how to yelp with a Li'l duece double glass call.

I was still sleeping when she came home, "I got a turkey, I got a turkey" she said. I think she was gone only about 45 minutes.

When she got to where we hunt, she heard a gobble. So she gets set up, puts out a hen decoy and finds a place to sit. Wasn't long and she see's two fly down. Then, she said "I chirped a couple times on the call." It must have sounded good enough, because he started to come her way. She could see he was "all puffed up" and headed towards the decoy. As soon as he was close enough she dropped him.

Even after she got home she was still shaking. It was just a little jake, but I don't think she cared what size it was. It was her first, and she got it all by herself.

P1100059.jpg

Here is the one I got on Friday. He came in to the same Li'l Duece call.

P1100039.jpg

Congrats to you both!

Looks like she'll be going next year for sure. smile

That is so cool. No way my wife would even get up early enough to go with me, much less by herself. Congrats to both of you!

Looks like she'll be going next year for sure. smile

Definitely! This was her third year. Last year I called in a nice tom the first morning we went out. It was about 20 yards and she missed it. I think she got gobbler fever laugh

That is so cool. No way my wife would even get up early enough to go with me, much less by herself. Congrats to both of you!

Thanks guys. It is pretty cool that she likes to hunt and fish as much as she does. I'm a lucky guy.

+1

Awesome ending to the morning. grin

Wallydog, I love the dsd decoys. It seems like the birds don't hang up at fifty yards like they used to with other decoys. Not to mention when some one stops to film you shoot a turkey because they see the strutted. It was a good story to hear from a fourth party.