• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

NHL playoffs

cbrooks

I understand your viewpoint, however, with a big scrum going on like that, the refs are never going to see (and didn't see) the bite actually happen. Refs don't give out penalties for stuff they don't see and they only find stuff like this from replay after all is said and done. A suspension is really the only way to punish/penalize the guy for it. Burrows did get a penalty but so did Bergeron.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OnAFly

• jwmiller33

• cbrooks

• JimBuck

Watching the replay several times, I can see why the refs never saw it. He hid it with his glove. This does seem like a difficult position to penalize/suspend.

Burrows used to pull the carp pretty often two years ago, since then he's really cleaned his act up and decided to play hockey, and pretty well at that. AV needs to sit him down and have the "start playing hockey, not messing around with opponents" talk with him.

Anyone care to guess who will win the game tonight? If Vancouver loses, that's a whole lot of pressure. If they win tonight, I doubt this will go to 6 games.

Anyone care to guess who will win the game tonight?

I'm taking Boston tonight. I have a feeling the Burrows hit sparked a flame that isn't going to burn out anytime soon.

I'm trying to watch this game but the cheap shots (slashes to the back of the legs, cross checks, etc.) turn me right off. And I'm a Canadian prairie boy who grew up watching the Broad Street Bullies and other rock em sock em hockey! But then I also watched the high flying Habs, Islanders and Oilers. Ever since I can remember, every team has had their carp disturbing rats. To me a jab to the calf, behind the knee or Achilles tendon isn't any better than the hit that Rome laid on Norton. What happened to the stick being used for handling the puck only?

It's the new NHL. No more clutching and grabbing, now more stick play.

Boston is up 4-0...carp. Luongo looked terrible on that second goal.

The the so called bite was nothing... the hit while a penalty and game misconduct wasn't all that bad and to be frank if he doesn't hit his head on the ice and get carried off on a stretcher there is no suspension. And the length of the suspension was based on who did the hitting "non-star" and who got hit. "star"

This the NHL playoffs not figuring skating, violent things happen quickly!

Go Bruins!!!!!!!!

I think all the “Saber Rattling” is great in the playoffs! Like Reggie Dunlop said, “Jab him with your stick to let him know you’re there.”. Anyhow, I just have to say that my biggest disappointment for this entire playoffs was the way the announcers last night were bashing on Marchand for side stepping the check at the end of the game and then the submarine on Sedine. First of all, that was barely a penalty on Marchand in the first place. He barely touched the guys head when he sidestepped him. Secondly, Sedine was coming in to hit him after the whistle. I played hockey for years and I can tell you that if you’re going to hit me after the whistle, don’t complain when I duck and take your legs out! I was very disappointed in those announcers, but Roenick agreed with me in the post game show at least.

....And the length of the suspension was based on who did the hitting "non-star" and who got hit. "star"

I agree. They need to get rid of preferential treatment of players in regards to suspensions and fines. The bite was nothing to get riled up about either, even though it was Burrows! He used to be such a punk and now he's turned into quite a solid contribution to the Canucks lineup.

GO CANUCKS!

I'd like to see Chara step up and be a man in the playoffs.

Is this man enough for you? shocked

JimBuck,

I was thinking the same thing, but was to lazy to create a link. Man that was scary.

There is no place in hockey for bitting. It undermines the whole sport. Just makes it look bad. This isn't wrestling. I woulda gave him a 1 game suspension for being an [PoorWordUsage]. People are laughing at hockey because of it. Aren't hockey players suppose to be tough. Not any more. They just bite ya rather then dropping the gloves. At least its a heated series now. Id like to see chara line up one of those sedin pansys. Maybe lucic will hit them. My gosh, do they dive and cry.

Hey, catch any muskies yet? Fishings been good for me, but nothing exciting size wise.

Back to hockey, Go Bruins! Hoping Raymond can light the lamp for the Canucks, and also hope Ballard gets another chance out there. That one may be a long stretch.

The bite was nothing to get riled up about either, even though it was Burrows! He used to be such a punk and now he's turned into quite a solid contribution to the Canucks lineup.

Used to be such a punk????? Slashing the stick out of Thomas' hand last night was another reason why I hate this guy. He is a disgrace to the sport and I hope someone sends this guy a message.

....And the length of the suspension was based on who did the hitting "non-star" and who got hit. "star"

How about Thomas pulling a Billy Smith with the goalie stick whack to the back of Burrow's leg in the last minutes? That's as much an embarassment to the game as anything else that you've pointed out. Thomas should have been turfed from the game too!

How about Thomas pulling a Billy Smith with the goalie stick whack to the back of Burrow's leg in the last minutes? That's as much an embarassment to the game as anything else that you've pointed out. Thomas should have been turfed from the game too!

you must not have seen burrow's hack that caused Thomas' retaliation? Burrow's is the true embarrassment to the game. I'm not condoning Thomas' hack by any means, but if Burrow's doesn't initiate it with his extremely cheap slash on Thomas' stick and knocking the stick out of Thomas' hand, then there is no slash by Tim Thomas.

Unless a whack on a stick results in numbness or damage to a nerve or tendon in Thomas' arm, it can't compare to goalie stick chop to the rear leg nerves or muscles....DUH!

Not condoning Burrows slash or whack to Thomas' stick. However, that is what it was, contacting the other player's stick. The intent of which is to throw him off his game. Thomas' slash was directed at an unprotected area of a player's body. Can't compare the two.

You're right... I think Burrows should get the Lady Byng trophy

I'm trying to watch this game but the cheap shots turn me right off..... What happened to the stick being used for handling the puck only?

so you are completely against the cheapshots, accept for when they are aimed at the goalie?

pfffff. You have got to be kidding me.

Go Bruins

jw I have to disagree with the old NHL vs new NHL, very true that no suspension would have taken place back in 2003. However what Pier is talking about is only handing out a game or two suspension to star players while other role players or perceived tough guys get 5+ games for very similar infractions.

Burrows is an easy guy to hate but I can name plenty of other guys who are far worse then him. He is one of those guys who you would love if he was on your team and clearly hate when you play against him. He does push the limits with some of his antics but you have to give him a little props for actually being able to play hockey instead of being a hired gun. Not that I am against fighting, I am just not in favor of fighters who can barely skate or stick handle.

YOUR quote of my words contradicts itself! haha! I don't condone Burrows slashing or whacking Thomas' stick! ....the cheap shots turn me right off...Pretty consistent messages IMO.

He's won a couple of overtime games for the Canucks so I thinking more along the lines of Conn Smythe!

You're right... I think Burrows should get the Lady Byng trophy

Burrows will be winning neither of those trophies.

Bear55 hit it on the head. You would love to have Burrows playing next to you...as long as you're both wearing the same jersey.

That being said, it would be nice to watch a game where everyone was only focusing on hockey, not trying to get under each others skin. But, it's a part of the game now. There will always be guys on both ends of this spectrum. From Pavel Datsyuk all the way down to Matt Cooke.

One might argue that the instigator rule is fueling these instigator type players by handcuffing the "goons." Would Burrows slash away at Thomas is he knew he would have to answer to a 6'5" monster? Maybe, maybe not.

He's won a couple of overtime games for the Canucks so I thinking more along the lines of Conn Smythe!

Burrows winning the Conn Smythe??? hahahahah ya right... right after he wins the Vezina

Hopefully someone puts Burrows in his place before the series over... preferably Chara, Thornton or McQuade

JW, we get it. You don't like Burrows, but I think him being a disgrace to the game is a bit of a stretch. I understand what you mean about the old vs. new nhl as a broader picture but we were talking more specifically about preferential treatment in regards to suspensions and fines. The fact of the matter is consequences for dangerous play has been inconsistent at best lately.

Getting back on topic, tonight's going to be one heck of a game. With Luongo's shaky performance the last few games I'm hoping he'll snap out of that slump at home. They really need that powerplay to start producing too. Not many shots last game made it to the net.

GO CANUCKS.

Luongo is playing very poor and it is all in his head now. Every bounce has not gone his way. Thomas is playing excellent right now and Boston has a ton of momentum.

Tonights prediction:

Bruins 4 Van 1

Don't do that you'll need a bunch of visine just to keep up with his No offense guys this isn't pee-wee hockey this the NHL playoffs and its war.

Stop whinning and crying over this stuff as we all know there is NO CRYING in Hockey for petes sake.

Jeesh and Go Bruins!

we were talking more specifically about preferential treatment in regards to suspensions and fines. The fact of the matter is consequences for dangerous play has been inconsistent at best lately.

I completely understand where you guys are coming from this and although I don't agree with you, I don't necessarily disagree with you either. Any type of speculation about the preferential treatment to 'superstars' is just that, speculation. The fact of the matter is you don't see superstars engaging in these types of hits hardly ever beacuse they are more of the goal scorers, not the hitters. How would you like to see it handled differently? An automatic X number of games suspension for certain kind of hits? Then, how do you classify certain hits as falling within that spectrum? There is always going to be subjective evaluation and I think it would be unfair if they didn't treat each hit/situation differently. Looking at the list of suspensions given out this year, I see a corelation between the # of games and the severity of the infraction. Torres 4 games for elbowing Eberle in the head. Cooke 10 games + 1st round of playoffs for elbowing McDonagh to the head. Marchand 2 games for elbow to the head on Umberger. Heatly 2 games for elbow to the head on Ott. Kubina 3 games for elbow to the head on Bolland. Gillies 10 games for boarding Clutterbuck. Being that Rome's hit on Horton was a lot more violent IMO, I think 4 games is extremely appropriate for the infraction

The fact of the manner is each hit should be taken into review and punished on the severity of it deemed by the league. Obiously more serious infractions should result in more games. JimBuck, I'd actually have to disagree and say that I see a common occurance on the league responding to elbowing hits to the head (exactly what Romes hit on Horton was).

We should all be appreciative that the NHL is what it is and IMO a lot better than the other sport/playoff series going on right now. The NBA has had refs caught red handed making calls for certain games/teams and that is just pathetic.

I didn't read too far back, was any one concerned about Burrows and a suspension after that finger bite?

What a [PoorWordUsage] poor little FemaleDog move on his part. It's one thing to be a pest, it's another to be a 12yr old finger biter.