• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 2 - Ppfftt-doom BOOM!

Wanderer

Yeeaahhh! Good luck out there. Those birds are still doing their thing but just being more quiet about it.

So, what's up Musky? No news from your last day out?

We're sitting on a jake from Sorgy, a tom from Cheetah, a tom from me, and another hunt to come for Cheetah, two for Hugonian, and a continuing saga for GoblueM. Not too shabby. cool

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wanderer

• hugonian1

• Cheetah

• Sorgy

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys struck out on my last day out. I couldn't set up close to the roost since it was on pirvate land. It sure was nice to get out though. My sister has a tag for May 13th season so I'll be out there trying to get her a bird (the first time hunting turkeys for her also). Good job team on getting those birds, I think that i'm going to get a tag for this fall, so I can shoot one while I'm bow hunting. Almost every night out last fall, I'd have 15-20 come by me within 15 yards.

Skunked in MN here. Terrible conditions for us. Rain on Saturday, wind on Sunday and we finally had a decent morning today but the birds had moved on to other places or just didn't want to talk. Saw very few birds in general, it has been worse and worse every year in the area we hunt. Going to consider some new ground in MN going forward.

Heading out in the morning for my first outing.

Work got in the way today.

Hopefully the birds will cooperate.

good luck tomorrow! i'll be heading out thursday morning, it was 75 and sunny today, but supposed to get down to 32 on Weds night and sunny Thurs morning - should be a great clear day, hopefully with lots of gobbles!

Well it didn't happen this morning.

Could only hunt until 10:30 and then had to get to work.

Saw several hens and had 1 Tom gobbling very close in the woods but never saw him.

Can't hunt tomorrow but will be out Friday & Saturday.

well I hit paydirt this morning - good story, I'll have to tell it later! havin folks over for fresh turkey tonight so gotta get ready

full-23483-8372-turkey.jpg

full-23483-8373-turkey3.jpg

That's some beautiful country you're hunting there goblue. Congrats on the nice bird!

Way to GoBlue smile

Can't wait to hear the story.

Looks like a great bird.

That is some awesome looking country you are hunting in.

Congrats on the bird! The photos turned out well too!

Don't be alarmed, but there are some cows sneaking up on you...

Way to go man! Woot! Woot! cool

Looking forward to your story. Some day I'll post mine too and and get my bird entered. grin

thanks guys. full story is over in the Turky Pics thread.

I can shoot 2 more this year between now and the fall season, hopefully I can get back out and call one in for my buddy, who's missed 2 birds this spring.

side story: the other day we were playing cornhole against one of his professors and winning, so the prof says "man i need to paint a turkey head over the hole so you'll start missing". lol

Well guys, I struck out in my Minnesota season.

Was out All day. A lot of turkey activity but could not get a good shot off.

Had a nice tom at 60 yards and coming to me following a hen but all the sudden he decides to go off into a patch of brush.

Hopefully my first hunt in Sconny will pay off next week.

Hey Sorgy,

You ever submit your bird on the contest thread?

I didn't see it.

No I have not submitted it yet- I was hoping that it would be upstaged. I have to buy a chip for my phone to get the pics out of it. It should be in the running for the smallest bird of the year. 21.87 or something. I have been running between work and vacation time a lot lately.

I will get it posted up sometime.

Steve

no worries! Is that a bird for everyone on the team then? that alone oughta put us in the running

Been crunching the numbers and we have 4 birds. I believe I have us scored correctly at 178.38 (rounded to hundredths). This includes your jake, Steve! So, this the pot (I haven't entered my bird yet either) calling the kettle out. Get your entry done if you can! smile

Every point makes a difference. Just ask Jim Bitter (Bass Master Classic reference). shocked

I'm only missing the photocopy of my entry form but plan to have that taken care of shortly. Team, we're in pretty good shape. cool

yeah, nice job fellas! who's still in play other than Hugonian... anybody?

I will try and get it up early next week. Too much going on with Fishing Opener this weekend grin

Good Luck get another big bird so that jake is knocked off the board.

Steve

I will be giving Sconny a try later this week and on the weekend.

Never hunted there.

Have access to 160 acres of beautiful land over by Ellsworth.

I hope I can knock your bird out Sorgy. smile

The truck is packed and quad is hooked up. All ready to go.

Need to work in the morning then heading out.

The truck is packed and quad is hooked up. All ready to go.

Need to work in the morning then heading out.

Hope you have better luck than me. I put in 30 hours the last 2 days and saw 5 birds.

Sorry guys, it didn't happen.

That being said, we enjoyed a great hunt with some fantastic people.

Lots of hens and toms were gobbling but couldn't seal the deal.

The property we were on was fantastic.

Better get your bird entered Sorgy.

So, my bird is finally submitted. Hate to say it Sorgy but we NEED ya man! I know, I know, fishin and what not... grin

Here are a few shots from the hunt.

4-2011028.jpg

The valley I was hunting - above. And right nice and tight to a prime roost - below. Too close but I was done bird hunting already and looking for a 'yote or two.

4-2011027.jpg

This was the tom I saw on my scouting mission a couple weeks earlier. The guy that I couldn't understand why he was boss with his "6" inch beard. At about 70 yards here on the first night.

Copyof4-2011005.jpg

I was in the woods because it was windy and thought I might be on the path to the roost. I moved to the edge of the field for the morning of day 2. That morning I described earlier in this thread.

On day 3 I was with another member of my party in the rain. Lots of rain. After a morning set on top that

produced nothing, we went to the bottom and crept along. We ran into a tom being chased in circles by a 'yote. A giant blonde 'yote! The tom fluttered up into a bushy tree out of the 'yote's reach and he split the scene when he caught a whiff of us.

The bird, obviously severely injured went the the ground and froze. I looked at my buddy and simply said, "Go get your bird". He finished him off with a 20 yard shot.

4-2011026.jpg

That bird that was having the rough day happened to be the "Boss" I had seen before. His "6" in beard was really a broken/broomed off 9 1/2 in beard, so the few remaining strands showed. One spur was broken and measured 3/4 in while the other stretched to 1 1/8 in. The old scrapper I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I called one of the landowners today to thank him for letting us hunt his farm (we don't see him much). He said there was a big lone tom out strutting in one of the fields yesterday. It gave me a craving to go out again...

I brought up the 'yotes and how we got a bird from one then asked if we could shoot at some for him. HECK YEAH! he says. Any time, all the time... smile

Hey, thanks team for helping to make this a fun season. We're not gonna win it but we made a fine showing. cool It's all about the fun anyway.

Guy's,

Good Job. We have 4 nice scoring birds. Since my collisal Jake (21.766) pts is close to 30 points under the 4th bird I will not be entering it.

We have our top 4 scoring birds at a very respectible score. Nicely Done gringringringrinblush

Enjoy the coming weekend - be safe

Steve

Hate to bring this up but Musky Hunter 82 didn't get a bird that scored 82 points... grin

We have 3 birds registered Steve; yours would have been the 4th. That's O.K. though. I know your pics are on your phone and you said you need a SIM card to get them off of it. This is a friendly contest and not meant to be a pain in the butt or cost you money. The "Win" we got was the stories and support. And your season kicked us off and got the mojo goin'! cool

May your fish be many and large and your line be strong. smile