• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team #6 Spur Crazy

Archerysniper

You're killing me AS.

Right now I'm in Springfield, SD. I had a tom pass by me at 64yds today. A little bit out of range for my bow, but I'm excited for tomorrow. We're visiting a great spot that we hit friday night and located birds within about 10mins. It feels promising.

I've got till monday afternoon to tag out in SD before I head to Nebraska. I love the country out here. My Minnesota eyes aren't accustomed to looking or anything more than 100yds away.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Archerysniper

• Powerstroke

• DHost21

• MJ1657

Good luck powerstroke you will get a crack at one.

I went out to the cambridge land this morning and had 3 toms gobbling from 5:50 to 6:45. They are roosted on a big hill in the woods with huge pines on it. They dropped down at 6:10 and strutted on that hill top gobbling so fast I don't know how they got a breath of air rolling tripple gobbles, so after they headed out I snuck in and set my blind up about a 120 yards down the on the side hill were the road comes down should be able to get them to follow the logging road right down to instant death at 5 yards were they will meet the sharp end of the arrow wink.

Off to bed soon been up setting blinds and walking properties since 5:30

2 more days and a wake up, come on wednsday smirkwink

We fell off the first page! I had to bump us back up. I still have 2 weeks before my season. I was out checking spots this morning and i had 3 different toms all gobbling away at me so lets hope they stay active for a couple more weeks! Goodluck everybody!

Getting the truck loaded tonight and heading for the blind tomorrow morning.

Lucky dog! I haven't had a coveted A tag in my wallet since 2007. Maybe May will be a good month. Good luck in the morning 'sniper! Something special about opening day in MN. smile

Well its been pretty tough going out west. The birds aren't playing the game yet. They are still in groups and not responding to calls. I had one tom gobble his head off all the way to me without me even calling, only problem is he passed by at 64yds and kept on going. He ducked under two fences to get around me.

Nebraska has really beaten me up. I saw one tom in the ditch today and that was it. They aren't even gobbling unless they are on the roost. I roosted a couple tonight with some confidence so hopefully tomorrow morning works out. Its supposed to rain and snow the next two days and that's all the time I got left. We'll see.

Nice job archerysniper!! Thats awesome i cant wait to see pics! I was out this morning calling to birds. Had 6 different toms calling back. 4 were together when they came out into the field. Does this mean they arent in full breeding mode yet? Or do they stick together even when breeding? I still have 2 weeks so i hope they havent started completely yet. Either way ive got a lot of toms on watch and am very excited! And also congrats again Archerysniper!!

Congrats Archerysniper!!!!!!!! Thats great! I found my bird this morning. Went and checked my spot and had a nice Tom with about 15 hens. I will keep an eye on him this weekend and Monday and Tue next week, and hopefully have him down wed morning.

Looks like MJ and myself are up next week. Getting very antsy!!!!!

Great looking bird.

Picture would look a little better if the [PoorWordUsage] that took it didn't cut the head off.

Great looking bird.

Picture would look a little better if the [PoorWordUsage] that took it didn't cut the head off.

Dont worry I'm not mad at you wink

Nice bird Archerysniper! From the comments it sounds like MJ may have took the PIC? The head of the bird may be missing from the the PIC but least that ball on the left side got in the picture. grin

Again, nice bird smile

"hooks"

Just got home from sconnie doing a little scouting in the new richmond area and northeast from there and found some promising public land. Found some sign in one of the areas but with the nasty weather and haveing the little one with I only walked 50 yards from the truck, also ran into some big bear tracks. Didn't see any birds on the public land but around 6pm they were in the private land close by. I think tomorrow I'm going to make the circle from grantsberg to st croix and walk as much of the public land as I can. Good luck to our b season hunters and hopefully the weather will straighten out for you.

Good luck in the morning MJ. Put 200 miles on today driveing and walking public land in sconnie and didn't find any promising spots.

Goodluck MJ! Had turkeys gobbling right across my street in a small woods in excelsior. Too bad i cant hunt there... Heading out in the morning to check a spot quick to see what i can hear

Good luck MJ. My first season starts Wed. I have seen 2 nice toms in the area, so hopefully I can connect on one of those!!! Sat out with a buddy on Sat, and it was just miserable out, I hope the weather man is wrong for this week!

Still dont start till next thursday!! Im getting way way too antsy! Ive been patterning them pretty well though so I hope I can help the team out. Goodluck to all!

I never really gave a recap, so, SoDak was a pretty decent hunt but we went over the weekend of the gun opener. There were tons of dudes in the woods and many of them walking around. We had a really great spot, especially for hunting with bows, but with all the extra traffic, the birds were very skittish. Got close, but not close enough. I had a bird pass at 64yds but would not come closer.

I moved on to Nebraska and hunted for 2 1/2 days there before I got pushed out by winter weather. The birds never made a peep on the ground and I had a heck of a time finding them. I only seen a couple while driving around and could only seem to find singles while I was roosting. Obviously I was doing this hunt completely blind and on public land, but with all the comments about the bird density I thought it would've been a little better opportunity. oh well.

I will hopefully get back to SD in two weeks to hunt and maybe back to Nebraska. I've got a couple ideas.....

As far as MN, I haven't really decided on that. I don't have any go to spots and the place I usually hunt is near Mankato so I haven't had a chance to go scout at all. I'd really like to get one of my girls in range of a bird. Lots to think about.

My season started Wed, went out Sun, Mon, and Tue morning and saw a hen with a Tom gobbling right where my blind is set up. Went out tue night and accidently kicked a hen out of a tree at 630. Went out wed morning, to find the ground covered in snow. I could only sit out a couple hours due to work, and saw nothing.

Thursday sat out after work and nothing.

Sat all day today from 530 till now in wind and rain and have seen one hen. This weather sucks!!!! I dont know where Tom went. At it again tomorrow at 530. Luckily I am hunting on my parents land, so I can go in for Easter lunch and head back out.

Hope to not even have to go out on Sunday though!!

Last year I had to shoot mine during my later season, so its nice to have that to fall back on.

Sorry guys I struck out. I hunted hard all week but the birds just were not on any of my properties. I saw one hen twice and that was it.

Tough break MJ. Don't worry about it bud. Thats the kind of luck I had and I traveled 700 miles to strike out.

Thanks Powerstroke.

I have to put out a big thanks to Archery Sniper for all of his help and the use of some of his equipment.

Got quiet on here again. Lol im heading out tomorrow morning. I've got a few birds in mind and know where they have been hanging out so im really hoping to put one down. I have all 5 days off so I hope I can get lucky once! Goodluck to everyone else who is heading out too!