• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 5 - THE BEARDED HENS

bluehat28

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sticknstring

• Archerysniper

• bety0108

• bluehat28

My niece and I were greeted with snow Saturday mourning. It didn't seem to matter,we set up near a roosted gobbler about 70 yards away. We did,t know he was there till after we were set up. He flew down and was nearly running to us, Dezirea had to move to reposition the shotgun and the tom seen us and headed out. We moved to the other end of the field and watched the tom just inside the woods 50 yards away.I tried everything to get him to come closer scratching leaves ect. finally a hen walked out I thought the tom would fallow but the hen saw Dezirea's white face and took off into the woods.

We went home for a bit of rest and were back at it by 11:30 am. There was a mid day major. We went back to the same place a got lucky and spotted the tom a couple hundred yards away. We got set up and within twenty minutes we had that gobbler coming closer. The tom ended up circling all the way around us presenting two or three twenty yard shots, but she was unable to get lined up for a shot before the tom started moving again. We were setting by an old cedar tree that had branches around the base that had a circumference of thirty feet or at one point that tom was on the other side of the tree about ten yards away just looking for that hen. I thought Dezirae did an excellent job staying still and not figiting. She did't get that tom but she enjoyed the hunt, and I was happy to take her out. Maybe next year.

hey guys, just have a question about using a bow. I hear stories about people shooting birds with bows and never heard of one not dying from the shot. How precise do you have to be? I hear to shoot them from the rear to avoid the wings, but does it matter with the new bows people shoot now? i use a mathews pulling 68lbs. will any mid body hit do the trick?

Thanks

hey guys, just have a question about using a bow. I hear stories about people shooting birds with bows and never heard of one not dying from the shot. How precise do you have to be? I hear to shoot them from the rear to avoid the wings, but does it matter with the new bows people shoot now? i use a mathews pulling 68lbs. will any mid body hit do the trick?

Thanks

They die really fast when shot through the vitals with a quality sharp broadhead. I have shot my birds the last 3 years with the rage 3 blade, I recommend a large cutting diameter retractable broadhead like the rage,Nap spitfires or any of the rocket broadheads. If you stick a broadhead through the were the wings connect to the boady you will kill that bird also from the front just above the beard and the back through the vent if he is strutting or halfway up between the wings if he is not.

The vitals are around the size of a softball or just a bit smaller.

PS heres some proof.

full-28877-7919-hpim0158.jpg

full-28877-7920-0514002017b.jpg

Back from NE. We battled some adventuresome weather but managed to put one bird on the ground. BIL#2 scored on his first turkey. No bow shots though and I wasn't able to put a tag on one. I'm down to MN E season now. I might be buying a butterball this year!

Baught some new rage extractable broadheads today. I picked up both the 2 blade with a 2+ cutting dia and the 3 blade with a 1.5+ cutting dia. What one of the two is recomended for Turkey hunting this spring?

Baught some new rage extractable broadheads today. I picked up both the 2 blade with a 2+ cutting dia and the 3 blade with a 1.5+ cutting dia. What one of the two is recomended for Turkey hunting this spring?

Hit 'em good and either one of those heads will work just fine. Whichever you're most comfortable with is the one to shoot.

Yeah what Don said, I have been useing the 3 blade but thats just me I like the extra blade a little more surface area of cutting.

Extra cutting diameter on a bobbing softball is a good thing! Those old Rocket 2" 4 blade heads were turkey nightmares. 3's still work pretty darn good though.

Who's hunting next? We've got one bird so far right? I head out again May 3rd.

Well team, birds started gobbling all around me at 5:30 they kept gobbling til about 7 and a few here and there til 8ish. They were all around me so i knew there were several which made the hunt exciting. Dont think the calls were working. They came out of the woods into the field at 11 (6 toms 1 jake). i purred/clucked some and they just looked and walked back in woods. at 12(noon) 3 toms including the trophy of them all came out again and i didnt call this time. they ran right to me! he was in the back. so i let the first bird a 6-8inch check out the decoy 15 yds from me and he didnt like the situation and walked off. the other two stoped and turned around at 40yds behind some grass. So i could have easily had my first turkey with a bow this morning. Hard to shoot a smaller bird when a monster is right behind! It was day 1 and there is still time left. Still yet to get in the good woods!

full-37697-8114-0424110830a.jpg

well didnt get the big bird today. got a gift from the easter bunny! an old shed to the buck i shot this year! I had the buck aged and he was 7.5 so we think this shed is his 2.5 or 3.5! It has everything identical to the other 6 sheds i have and the 2 another guy has, but wont sell. it was half buried in the dirt. The DNR did a controlled burn in some CRP which is where we found it. Got the roost found so should get him tomorrow. I have seen him two days in a row from 11:00 to 1:00 in the CRP. That is when i'll get him!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Good luck Tyler.

Hopefully the big one comes in on a string for you.

Sweet! Sounds like a great strategy to me. A bonus antler to boot. I'd love to see that buck - post a picture of him!

full-37697-8131-1112100747.jpg

He was 7.5years old, but his antlers are slightly larger than his last two sets of sheds only by probly 2inches last year and 4 the year before. He was goona go down hill next year i would guess. I will try and get a picture of all the sheds together when i get back home from hunting. 21 inside 144 3/8 8pt

Hey this is the turkey forum get those antlers out of here.

bety that is a giant 8 congrats on that trophy.

After a delay because of needing to go to a funeral, I'm finally off tomorrow to SD for my first much anticipated turkey hunt of the year. The guy who was suppose to go isn't going with because of that funeral, so the gas cost is going to be something nasty since I'm now going by myself. My 3/4 ton Ram 2500 with a camper on it and pulling a wheeler on a trailer doesn't get very good gas mileage to say the least! This is my favorite hunting trip of the year tho, so I'm going!

I've got 4 tags to wrap around those longbeards legs, 2 tribal and 2 state, so I hope the weather and the birds will corporate.

Beautiful buck - pretty neat to have all the history with him. Congrats!

Hopefully that big tom will cross paths with you as well!

had to put the antler pick on since i found it while turkey hunting, then someone asked to see the buck. hopefully be putting the turkey pic up tomorrow! The other day my bird was in roost he and went south/away when he came down, tonight i was set up south of where he gobbled and roost so i left my blind out. so i hope he comes south again! last chance for me, cant hunt tomorrow night.

well my hunt is over and i have nothing to show. I heard a ton of birds all week and even had my chance at a tom on opening day. i was hunting in backwaters and swamps and it just seemed they would be on the other side of the river or swamp no matter what i did. This morning a few toms were gobbling and came my direction, had to be within 100yds, never saw them though. They did not respond to calls, gobble at crows/loud noises or anything. Sorry team! time to get the food plots in!

That is why I like turkeys so much. Of all the things I have hunted before nothing has made me scratch my head like turkeys. I will be hunting next Tuesday thru Saturday and am looking forward to the challenge.

I start Tuesday as well. For some reason with all this crappy weather, I've got a good feeling about the timing of the late-season this year. Hopefully we'll do well!

Paintbrush - I missed your post up above. Good luck on your SD hunt - all we need is one of those 4 tags filled! Hopefully you had better weather than we had here.

Looks like birds are regrouping with this weather.

Lots of flocks of 12 birds or more all of a sudden on the properties I've been watching.

I'd agree that it'll just keep getting better. Hens still appear to not be ready...

Well, the dreaded wait is nearly over. I'll be headed out tomorrow morning for my first day of E season. Supposed to be a gorgeous day - hopefully the birds will cooperate and I can make the best of it!

Update from the blind: 5 turkeys seen, 2 toms everything well out of range. 6 deer, 1 piebald doe! Pictures to come. Going to get aggressive and make something happen!

Good luck!

The doe sounds cool.