• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TEAM 9 - "Limb Hangers"

DonBo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonBo

• Abndoc

• Cooter

• sticknstring

So Don did you go out thi morning

Yup, not much action. Zero gobbling after they hit the ground, darn little before that. Did have one putt at me when I got out of the blind. frown

Good luck though, got the okay to hunt a much better property tomorrow. Thought I had lost it, but the land owner called last night with the nod. smile I'll be out there tonight to get set up, and probably hunt a couple hours.

Sorry guys, wish we could use this one for the contest. 22 lbs, 10" beard. 6:30 this morning. Had a friend with who shot some pretty professional video. Hope to get some of that footage up on utube one of these days.

full-20096-7932-dsc02899.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

Don,

Nice Bird shockedshocked Way to go. I was out and about this morning and I thought it would be a good turkey hunting morning.

Congrats

Steve

What's it got for spurs Don?

Short, but sharp. 3/4"? Never put a tape to them, but have never seen such sharp hooks this short.

Nice bird Don!! Maybe next year we need to rewrite the rules. wink What a beauty!

Next wed is my first day...I'm getting very antsy.

Looks like a good eater Don! My freezer's running a little light this spring... whistle

You got tag soup too look forward to grin.

Congrats on Bird #2 Don, now you need to fill that sconnie tag.

Nice work Don on the Rio. Jakes eat the same as a Tom. Nothing wrong with taking Jakes. My rule is get one down first then start to be a little picky but most times I'm taking what ever comes in. Most hunts you only get a few days. If you have a week then start thinking different. I know you have taken enough birds were it should not matter. Seems to me your always on birds. grin

Might have to look at a new rule to be able to upgrade. Also congrats on your MN bird.

When do you hunt WI?

Thanks for all the kind words guys. My Wisconsin season is late, May 11-15, 2 tags!

Can't hunt until next wednesday....hmmm what to do with my time. Going out tomorrow morning, sit in the woods and see what happens. Hopefully get a peak at some big boy! The days are so slow cry.

Can't hunt until next wednesday....hmmm what to do with my time. Going out tomorrow morning, sit in the woods and see what happens. Hopefully get a peak at some big boy! The days are so slow cry.

How'd the scouting go over the weekend? Are you hunting near home? Good luck this week, you're the only one up for now.

I went out about 530am saturday morning, hung around until about 730, nothing...not a gobble, sighting, nothing. Went for a drive Sat. nite and spotted 2 toms and few hens out in a picked beanfield, couldn't get permission, farmer said his cousin is hunting later in the year...did alittle more investigating, got permission from the farmer adjoining land. gotta work wed. morning going to hit this piece of property up wed afternoon and go from there...its pretty close to my house. See how that goes before going up by turtle lake since i didn't see any action. There is another piece of stateland down by the river i have been watching...some nice birds there, haven't seen a truck there at all this year. Maybe because I'm new at this or its the weather, but its seems to be hard locating birds day to day. warm, followed by rain, cold,then warm...we'll see what happens. My wife is going to hunt with my all day sat, holding the video camera, first time ever she will be on a hunt!

Went out bird watching tonight, looked like the same 2 toms out in one field tonight and another spot I have, had one tom and 9 hens out in it, going out again tomorrow night, to make the final decision for wednesday.

Good luck. Hope the weather breaks for ya. How'd you like to be out this morning? sick

So the weather looks pretty crappy until friday...any tips. Do I hold up until the weather breaks or do i go in risking giving away my position, my experience so far with scouting tells me wind, rain, cold...birds quiet, even staying up in the roost. Tell me if I'm way off or how you would approach the next couple of days.

Saw plenty of birds out in the rain tonight. They like to hang out in big open fields when it's raining. No way I'd miss a day of hunting because of the weather. Get on the edge of a field with a decoy or two and hope for the best, but that's just me... wink

If you've got a pop up blind, the weather shouldn't be that much of an issue.

that was my plan...just don't want to screw anything up. you guys keep mentioning those rookie mistakes grin, i'm sure i will have a few before sunday is over. blind..decoys..bow all in the truck. work just changed for me..will be out for a few hours in the morning, then again tomorrow afternoon, night. thursday afternoon, night..friday noon until sunday night!! I'm ready to go!!

Shoot a limb hanger!!!

One more week for me - uncle is hearing birds but everyone and their brother hunts the area, we'll see. My dad is heading down tomorrow as he didn't get or buy a tag and thus will be my official scout.

My honey hole has a big bird on it and my bud and his two boys are gonna hunt that - the young guns get first crack at that bird.

Need to check and see if anyone is hunting behind the house next week or not and if its a green light need to get out and see if the birds have moved into the area yet.

Weather forecast is decent thus far for next week anyways. I got approved at work today for half of Wed and Fri off and all Thurs.

Well I didn't get out yesterday due to unexpected set of circumstances..I applied for a job back in December...the job I've been trying to get since getting out of the Army, anyways after 6 hours of interviews in the month feb...I didn't get it...well yesterday morning, I got called back in, and was offered the position. woohoo...now turkey season...I went out at 445am this morning...had 2 jakes come in around 8am..stopped at 50 yards and turned away. Around 1pm, I gave out a yelp, and got one back..this went on for about 20 mins..yes the thought crossed my mind that i and another hunter were playing games with each other....nope about 60 yards away out steps a hen, followed by what I think is one of the biggest toms I've ever seen..they both start my way getting to about 40 yards, turn back into the woods and disappearing. Well 445am until 645pm and I'm spent. My first day ever hunting turkeys...this is one tough critter!! back at it tomorrow.

Congrats on the job! Gonna be a nicer day tomorrow, good luck on that big boy.

Quote:
Better start patterning that gun for 40yds.

I was thinking the same thing - only DonBo would miss a shot like that!

With the chokes these days, 60 yds is easily achieveable.

I was thinking the same thing - only DonBo would miss a shot like that!

With the chokes these days, 60 yds is easily achieveable.

Geez, and here I thought only Archery sniper would give me grief about somthing like that..... grin

FYI, I believe Abndoc is bowhunting, thus the 40 yards is a bit too far.

You've redeemed yourself this year! It's just too darn fun reliving the past and all those darn misses! laugh

You're right, 'doc mentioned he had the bow packed - good for him! Hopefully he can connect. I've had more birds than I can count stay out 40-50 yds when bowhunting. This year I feel pretty confident at taking a long poke. You don't have to worry about a turk ducking your string, that is if you can ever get one to stop moving!