• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Frozen four St Paul Apirl 9 & 11

cbrooks

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scsavre

• cbrooks

• solbes

• Bear55

Top Posters In This Topic

As an unbiased observer, I thought MI didn't look very good. They won this game but I'd pick UND 9 out of 10 times. I only saw 2 good chances for them all night. The one where Blood fell down and their goalie made a good save, and the one they scored on. That was a pretty lucky deal too, thread a high shot on net and the rebound comes back out front where a D-man (Blood again I think) doesn't have his man on the rebound.

It just seemed like one of those games where all the bounces and rebounds were terrible for the Sioux, yet all MI limited chances panned out. That's just the way hockey is sometimes.

It should be a good tilt on Sat, MI better not put the dogs on PP a half dozen times or the result will be different.

Ya, I kind of agree. Some nights you just can't get the bounces. I think Michigan was just luring them to sleep from the 2nd onward. They had 3 shots on goal all 2nd period and looked perfectly content because they were up a goal. They seemed to believe they could clog up the middle and block the shots that were dangerous. It worked, even though I hate that strategy.

I hope for a more flowing offensive game on Saturday, but I'm not counting on it.

The shot they scored off of never made to the net. It hit Forbot out front and rolled left to the high slot and Winnet cherry picked it. Dell didn't see it till Winnet picked it up so he was slow to slide across. Michigan got the bounces they needed and the Sioux had really poor puck luck. It doesn't help when you shoot dead center on the goalie either, no rebounds and nobody getting dirty in front of the net for the whole game. It was frustrating to say the least.

The Bulldog passing was phenomenal I hope they can bring that tomorrow. I only hope the Bulldogs score first watching the trap in college is a real snoozer.

]This just dawnwed on me. For michigan this is the path through the wcha. Uno, cc, und, umd. Their entirepost season has b en against us. Red must know how to play us or something

Frustrating isn't it? Would hate for the NCAA title to be snubbed in the WCHA's face like that. This time I'm praying for whistles after having nightmares of them out East.

The better players lost, the better team won. Last light. I think the sioux best them in a 7 gamer.

What I really dont get iw why did they not try to move the puck to the sides of the net. The goalie was always so far out of the net that they should have easily been able to get a guy a few chances on the sides, backdoor, half board shot. Evening the goalie himself said he only made 1 hard save all night. they were all infront and right at him.

Michigan will hopefully get the same phantom calls on them tomorrow night. Honestly, I wouldnt have given them a penalty last night, maybe 1 and it would have been quincys.

"]What I really dont get iw why did they not try to move the puck to the sides of the net. The goalie was always so far out of the net that they should have easily been able to get a guy a few chances on the sides, backdoor, half board shot. Evening the goalie himself said he only made 1 hard save all night. they were all infront and right at him.

I've made the same points several times here, on Facebook and in conversations since last night, but it's amazing how many people want to write off the Sioux loss as being the victim of a hot goalie and bad bounces, including a couple sportswriters of my acquaintance. crazy

It seems most of you guys blame coaching for last nights lost.

I blame coaching in part. Why Hakstol didn't abandon the dump-and-chase half way through the game and change tactics I'll never know. And if the team is slow and stupid in their play, it's his job to wake them up.

I also don't for the life of me understand why you do the dump-and-chase on PPs. If the other guy gets control of the puck first, it's wristed all the way back down to your end and you get to start a new rush all over again. That happened over and over again last night. I get that the D&C has some value in regular game situations (not so much value when you're being outskated), but I think the D&C cost UND most dearly on their power play. They only got their PP box set up one time for about 20 seconds in all their PPs last night, if memory serves.

I'm not trying to say it wasn't the players' fault, too. In the end, they are the ones playing the game, and a lot of the responsibility for a win or loss is their baby.

Nor am I one of those "fire Hakstol" screamers. He's done great things with this program. But getting to the FF that many times is so few years without winning it, and with teams of that caliber, well, something ain't quite right in River City, and he's gotta figure out what that is.

Remember one definition of stupidity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Last night, that shoe fit the Sioux.

OK, rant over! rant2.gif

Coaching, effort....bad game plan, not adjusting game plan. So yes coaching. I guess maybe the team wasnt listening to their coaches.....Who knows. I have always heard the Sioux have many me first guys on their teams. I thought this one was different though.

Coaching, prept work. They honestly looked like a team that had never watched film. They were fast and tough, but it was all pointless. Michigan was tougher and didnt even need to be fast.

I'm not doubting you guys. I'm just getting a vibe from reading and hearing all the after game reaction and its all pretty much the same. I'm not a a fire Hak screamer either but in my opinion he has had two very gifted teams in the past this one and the one 2007(Oshie, Toews, Chorney,Duncan)that had the most talent in college hockey and to have never to have won the big one. I don't even have an excuse.

I like that signature. I think its a keeper for you. I bet people will take you more serious now too.

The Sioux had a killer team in 03-04 too, Parise Bochenski and company met the same 1-0 fate against Denver in a regional.

I don't think you can really say Hak lost the game by not making adjustments, however you might say he didn't really do anything to win that game either.

It's so hard to say what could have happened, what if they changed the game plan that has won for them all year and they lose 5-0? Sioux fans would be freaking out left and rigth. I have to think Hak felt it was only a matter of time before the Sioux scored. He was probably right but ran out of time, I give a lot more credit to Michigan for executing a perfect game.

Yeah, Bear, the commentators made the same point about keeping the guns firing, that sooner or later one of those shots would go in. I remember with about 5 minutes left I turned to my wife and said "One. Only one goal. NOBODY would want this Sioux team in sudden death OT."

The fact that it never happened (and the recent history of FF failures) is what sharpens the edge on our frustration. If two of those shots had gone in, we'd all be happy snappy right now. Well, all except the Sioux haters. gringrin

I'm not doubting you guys. I'm just getting a vibe from reading and hearing all the after game reaction and its all pretty much the same. I'm not a a fire Hak screamer either but in my opinion he has had two very gifted teams in the past this one and the one 2007(Oshie, Toews, Chorney,Duncan)that had the most talent in college hockey and to have never to have won the big one. I don't even have an excuse.

You really don't need an excuse, Gophers and BU had big gaps between titles. Before BC put together a solid decade of winning hockey they went 40+ years between titles. Heck even during the past decade they have had some great teams not win it, every team has. NC's are just a very hard and rare thing to come by, you need to have the skill, the stars need to align and you also need a ton of luck. Sometimes its your year, sometimes its not.

The fact that it never happened (and the recent history of FF failures) is what sharpens the edge on our frustration. If two of those shots had gone in, we'd all be happy snappy right now. Well, all except the Sioux haters. gringrin

If only their was a way to clone Hak's ability to get to the Frozen Four and Lucia's ability to win it you would have one heck of a coach.

Hak and Gasparini combined would actually be a Sioux fan's wish. Don't know many Sioux fans who would want Lucia standing on the home team bench. wink

Face it guys Michigan took UND out of their game, rattled them early then played keep away. Stinky hockey to watch thats for sure. The UMD game wasnt much better in the 3rd but at least there was some scoring.

Lets Go Bulldogs!!!!!

Nah, Steve, you've cast UND as the victims. They were actually the perpetrators of their own failure.

Partly. Michigan had a lot to do with it last night.

Tomorrows game is going to be a good one. I think if UMD can score 1st and keep that power play ticking they will come out ahead. Oh and stay out of the box as much as possible but these refs just cant seem to make up their minds as to what is a penalty night in and night out. Heck period to period.

]I like that signature. I think its a keeper for you. I bet people will take you more serious now too.

Rubbing salt on the wound. Scott you can remove the Sioux logo. I think its suppose to be permantly remove from UND next week.

The Sioux were the better team but sometimes that's not enough. Sure the game plan should have evolved throughout the game, but I kinda agree with Hak's comments. They fully believed that the goal was coming. Watching the game live it sure seemed like the goal was coming, it just never did. It's very easy to sit back and say the game plan was all wrong after the fact. Sure some passing around the net and to the sides would have challenged Hunwick, but Michigan was very tough collapsing around their net. I don't think that was really an option. But anwyway good luck to Frattin and all of the senior class, heckuva year IMO.

Saturday has arrived. Roll call, who's going to tonight's game? Going to be a tough matchup for Duluth, but I think we have a solid chance. I doubt the refs will be handing out many penalties, so we have to move our feet and create pressure around the net. Force Michigan to take some penalties. Then it's a matter of executing those tight passes around the crease.

Who's gonna win tonight? What's everyone think?

Hey Sioux fans, Frattin's season is not over. He will be playing tonight for toronto against montreal!

I will be there, and the dogs will win.

Once my brother gets into town, I should be on my way to the bars.

Yah, the world just stopped turning. I have a brother. dont worry Sioux fans he doesnt know how to use a computer so you dont have to worry about more Siuox bashing. Actually he was a sioux for about a week. I might have already told that story.

Uh oh, another smart A$% gopher fan? If he pulls for the Dogs he's good in my book.

Whole thing seems kinda surreal. I hope the players and coaches keep an even keel before the puck drops. 5 hours to game time...

Maybe you can convince some Sioux fans to get rowdy for the Bulldogs. It was kinda quiet on Thursday afternoon. I'll be screaming for the dogs and I hope all the Sioux faithful lend a hand. I won't feel bad about it, I took ice skating from Sandelin and I bet deep down he still bleeds green.