• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011 Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament

Bear55

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jwmiller33

• Bear55

• cbrooks

• scsavre

Years ago I would have said the same about private schools but after working for St Thomas for ten years before moving back north a few years ago, I have a whole different opinion. Schools with good programs (sports & academics)don't need to recruit as they will come without it. I was at St Thomas before the Vanelli brothers starting coaching there and they built their own arena, they were not that good back then. Enrollment went up just on having the new arena and once they starting winning it continued and not because they recruited. Some need to look into what a school like St Thomas has to offer and the caliber of young men that come out of these types of schools. My son says he never regrets going to STA. I felt bad for him as he was in Duluth helping with a special olympics bowling tournament and was getting some funny looks when he was cheering for STA at the bowling alley.

I still cheer for the northern schools when they are there and pull for the underdog. I just don't think it fair to say private schools should be in a certain class just because of who they are.

I really just dont believe that the private schools recruit. They have no need to. I dont see any reason why they shouldnt be able to either.

I live in Bloomington now, I hope to move back up to the saint paul side town someday, So i guess I would be leaving the Roseville or Moundsview etc for HIll.

By the way, I transferred from Roseville to Hill when I was in High School. Most of the recruiting was done by players. Not the coaches. You go to the select camps and play on the all-star teams and you become friends with players from Hill, or you become friends with other players and you start to think, man it would be fun to play on a team together. Or maybe, your parents went to Hill, or maybe your parents want you to get a good education while playing sports.

I really see no problem with recruiting. You guys all mention these little poor northern towns, come on, they are pulling from a pool of players as big as any.

I bet Warroad was good because TJ Oshie was from there.......

Someone look up Herman town and Duluth East. I am wondering if they are all from there.

Seems weird that DE is the the only good public school in Duluth.

]I really just dont believe that the private schools recruit. They have no need to. I dont see any reason why they shouldnt be able to either.

I can't believe you said this. A high school can recruit kids from other schools but a college like UND recruiting kids from out of state or Canada isn't right. Did you talk about having some pride in your homegrown talent in another thread here.

Get out of here Brooks. There is a little difference between a kid from Roseville going to Hill than a bunch of non Americans playing for Nodak. I never said Nodak shouldnt recruit kids from North Dakota. theyd wouldnt be able to have a team. I dont even care about kids from Canada, I just said I dont want them at the U, cause I want to cheer for minnesotans.

I hear you on homegrown talent though. Ideally it seems like a great idea. But what do you do if you are from moundsview? your team is terrible every single year. You know you will develop better at Hill or some other school. What do you do?

So who is suppose to go to Hill or the other private schools. When I went to Hill I dont know of anyone that came from farther then 10 maybe 15 miles. How big is Mooreheads radius, 50 Miles? how big is Warroads....I think Eden Prairies city limits might go 15 miles.

Any body in Grand forks ever jump the river to play? What about those Lameroux's sounds like homegrown North Dakota...

We lose everybody to the USHL. Some Central kids go to Red River. Not so common anymore. Central has a few kids in Jrs this year. Otherwise they would have had a decent team. Some future D1 kids.

"]Someone look up Herman town and Duluth East. I am wondering if they are all from there.

Seems weird that DE is the the only good public school in Duluth.

I know for a fact that every kid on Hermantown's roster grew up and played their youth hockey in Hermantown. All of the kids on varsity have been in the HAHA program since squirts

If you don't believe recruiting exists, that is up to you, but like I said, I witnessed it first hand (and this was in 2004)

And believe it or not, Duluth East loses kids each year to Duluth Marshal (private school) and they still continue to make it to state almost every year. Imagine what they could do if all the kids stayed at DE. If these kids were really doing it for academic reasons, they wouldn't be doing it in their sophomore/junior/senior years (like what is happening), they would be doing it before their freshman year starts [if they truly are doing it for educational purposes].

I just cant see coaches doing it. I think they should be able to though. After all private schools dont have districts.

I guess my experience is with Hill, and honestly they dont need to.

So how do you feel about public schools recruiting? Many of them do it especially with influx of the open enrollment now. Actually, do schools have closed districts now? or can you go wherever.

Do you think class A wants STA to stay, it definitely helps with interest. I honestly watched because they were in it. I really wouldnt have cared much about Hermantown and whoever.

A poll on a popular MN high school hockey forum showed an overwhelming majority of MN high school hockey fans wanted STA to move up to AA, so yes

]So how do you feel about public schools recruiting? Many of them do it

How do you know this for sure? I just don't believe it grin

] I hear you on homegrown talent though. Ideally it seems like a great idea. But what do you do if you are from moundsview? your team is terrible every single year. You know you will develop better at Hill or some other school. What do you do?

I went to Hill with a kid from the Como Park public system that went on to the Gophers, Olympics, and the NHL. Would that have happened if he stayed in the Como system? Likely not.....

Tough subject, and a slippery slope indeed. Recruited....no, to the best of my knowledge. Taking advantage of an opportunity to excel, yes.

I do agree. I think it is time to move up. Just like many others have. You get good, dominate and then move up.

Public schools recruit if you call it that or entertain the allurement of kids every bit as much as the private schools.

I do agree STA could move up to AA if THEY want but I won't lose any sleep if they don't.

It's actually an incredible story and shows what bringing in a quality coach or coaches in this instance can do for program. To go from a fledgling Hockey program that hadn't won a state title in 50 years to a power house is no small feat!

ok enough with the public vs private debate.

here is some comedy to lighten up the mood. I don't know if any of you have seen this video yet, but it is a good laugh:

the 2011 All Hockey Hair Team

SC. It's funny to me. The first sentence was "I just don't really believe private schools recruite". Then you go on to say "most the recruiting was done by players. Not the coaches". So i'll ask you nicely, which one is it? Then you babble on about the size of area saying Warroad has a 50 mile radius and Eden Prarie only has a 15 mile radius. Come on man, nobody is that dumb to get into that debate. You are really struggling to prove a point you know is dead wrong. I give you an E for effort, but please try and educate yourself, for our sake. By the way I am from one of those afore mentioned small northern towns. Good luck to ya, we all see you really need it!

SC. It's funny to me. The first sentence was "I just don't really believe private schools recruite". Then you go on to say "most the recruiting was done by players. Not the coaches". So i'll ask you nicely, which one is it?

+1

Quack, I believe people were talking about coaches recruiting, and I was stating that I find it hard to believe that a coach goes out and recruits kids to play at a private highschool. I then said that Hill was my example. And I am not sure if kids talking to eachother would count as recruiting so I dont see a contradiciton there. Our coach never sent us out to to go recruit kids. I gave an example of what hapened at our All Star league. And my comment on miles was referring to who would HIll and STA have on their teams. They have no districts. there are not very many people that live near STA (sounds dumb, I know), and there are very few kids that can aford to play hockey near Hill. I was saying 15 miles is gigantic for EP.

Really not sure how you can tell me to educate myself, last I checked I am the only example on here of a kid who transfered from a public school to play hockey at a private school.I challenege you to find more expericen than that. I followed in my brothers footsteps.

I see your small northern town - Cloquet - You guys ever have a kid from a diferent town suit em up. Im sure you have. And I think it is great. I just dont see why you guys up north care so much about what the private schools do, when you guys do the same thing.

Was Oshie from Warroad?

were all the Cullens from Moorehead

Was Jason Blake from Moorehead

Was Hedberg and Finnegan from D east.

Was Langebrunner from Cloqet (maybe they moved there when he was 10 for hockey? im being sarcastic but who knows)

How many palyers on Dultuh east were from Duluth in the mid 90's.

I remember at Roseville we even had kids transfer to play for us because of open enrollment.

So would you rather kids skipping out on High School and ending up in the USHL and the NDP? I think I would rather have them playing in HS.

To wrap up, do I think they recruit? I still dont think they need to. Were any of you ever recruited by a coach? Again, I am mainly reffering to Hill- which has alway been the most natorious.

]

I really see no problem with recruiting. You guys all mention these little poor northern towns, come on, they are pulling from a pool of players as big as any.

I bet Warroad was good because TJ Oshie was from there.......

Your kidding right? Warroad is famous for pulling in a kid or two from elsewhere and the northern schools do have their fair share of kids jumping schools but it might be one or two players, a lot of the time the teams are home grown. For most schools the pool of players to pick from is far less then you would imagine, save for maybe Duluth East and Moorhead. If you look at the youth programs you will see most northern schools are lucky to put together 2 or 3 peewee teams in a given year, some only one, now if you compare that to some of the metro teams what are we talking 6, 8, 12 teams for some of the larger programs? The numbers just aren't comparable.

I will agree with you on the recruiting front, the players take care of that themselves. They know where their friends are going to play or they know who the good teams are coming up through the ranks.

Jason Blake grow up in riverside Grand Forks move away in the ninth grade(i think) to Morehead(hahaha see if the mods spot this) it had nothing to do with him being recruited.

Warroad from talking to other people from Theif River and EGF does recruit. Mainly the years when a Marvin is on the team. To buy there kid a championship. Family tradition.

Brooks, you are a plethora of information.

Hey Bear at Roseville we had 1A team and 1 B team for all levels of youth hockey. I actually dont think we even cut a kid from JV. Its a good point about them not having enough kids and that is why I dont care if they get kids from other comunities. I dont think it is recruiting, just parents and kids doing what is best for the kid.

I suppose now I do sound like a contradiction, I just dont think it is coaches recruiting, I think it is parents doing what they can.

SC you do have some valid points. If u were referring to 15 miles being huge, I misunderstood you. As for me I actually grouted from DE in the mid 90's. So I know the good teams from then were straight up, as I played all the way up with them. Langenbrunner, from clouqet and went to play major juniors in Canada his senior year. As well as Cade fairchild and Keegan flarety did at east in the 2000s. I'm not educated enough on the other players mentioned. I would rather watch the kids stay in hs but then again they are thinking about their hockey career and furthering it. It's a tough decision to make. I see a lot of kids go to Marshall in Duluth, and it's not for the education. As a matter of fact my brothers best friend went to Marshall, and the day after hockey was over his senior year kicked him out of school. Granted he wasn't the best student, but the school got what they wanted out of him. Like I said before take STA. They are all guys, that is twice the pool to choose from then a guy/girl school. As far as I'm concerned they are in the same category as shattic (sp). Private or public there are examples of whole families moving, not for hockey, but employment, divorces, and so forth. I realize they are far and few between, but it does happen.

I really don't have a dog in this fight. Some one mention "its the name in front that matters not the one on the back" famous words from a great hockey name wink. Does it matter if the kids are from the city or town. As long as they are playing for the team is what matters. These kids in highschool still have that value. They ususally lose it sometime after high school. I see it in college level and even more so in the professionals.

When I was in high school our school started an exchange program, where two students from our school would go to another school and two from that school would come to our school.

The administration set it up and we ended up partnering with a school in Finland (the country). Wouldn't you know it, the first two students to come to our school were both 6' 2", 200 pounds guys that just happened to be very good hockey players. Hmmmm, what a coincidence.

Like I said before take STA. They are all guys, that is twice the pool to choose from then a guy/girl school.

I actually posted this very same thing a while back but I think we might be wrong. I read somewhere that STA enrollment is only 500 but the MSHL doubles their numbers because they are an all boys school. Can anyone else confirm this either way?

Bear, you are correct. For all boy schools, MSHSL doubles their enrollment number for the A/AA cutoff (which I think is either 800 or 1,000, can't remember exactly)

According to MSHSL's website, their enrollment is 1078 (9-12) which shows that the MSHSL doubles their enrollment for classification purposes. They SHOULD be in AA with 1,078 being their enrollment