• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Advisory meeting

kelly-p

You could be right on the numbers. I had to type everything over and get it to come out right when the post came up. It was beyond my ability and I had many attempts that looked good until I previewed the post and it came out as confusing garbage. confused I ended up retyping many times and could have messed up the numbers. I'll check and compare numbers from the spreadsheet I have.

Total walleye kill for 1-14th at 6029 is off too

You are right, it should be 6929. Hey, my fingers are wider then the keys and the 9 is right by the 0. grin

Total pounds killed 2nd half of June should be 40925 + 1907 = 42832, not 42432

You are right again. So,,,,the 8 and the 4 are on the same keyboard aren't they. blush

the pounds killed should be 7273, not 7237.

You are right again. Those mistakes were all my typing and not the spreadsheet.

I do think that I got the release mortality numbers right tho. I would guess that is because fishermen were throwing more smaller fish back and sorting out of their livewell to get as many fish as big as posible.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly-p

• theharvester

• Random guy

• traveler

that was a great post for 4 a.m. analyzer!

You're very observant. My 21 and 22 yr old children had a houseful last night for st. Pats. There was no way I was A) going to get any sleep B) even trying to get any sleep. I figured it was better to stay up, patrol the front door, and make sure none of them tried to drive home drunk. Fishing minnesota helped out nicely to keep me awake. I crawl inside my brain somewhere, and pretend I'm fishing. I may not make it up all that often recently, as I've been unemployed for a while. But I still enjoy the read, and care about the people.

Thanks for noticing.

I can see where that would happen Kelly. I don't mean to rip your typing skills. I thought perhaps you copied it from something, and their numbers were off.

I've always questioned mortality rates. I'd think it would be difficult to conclude. Especially with the Pelicans scooping them up almost as fast as they die.

I watched one of those big pelicans wolf down what looked to be an 18 or 19 inch walleye. I don't think he chewed his food very well.

Johnny, perhaps you could shed some light for me.

The pike population is a concern to me. I have an older brother who loves to fish for the Octobers on red. When we were catching dozens of crappies, he was casting for Pike. When we were catching dozens of walleyes, he was casting for pike. I've never seen him have so much fun... until recently.

Back in the crappie days, 02,03 whatever, he'd have days where he'd pull in 4 or 5 pike over 10lbs. There was one particular day he caught 14 pike in one day. Darn near every inch. 34,35,36,37,38,39. It was really neat. His PB was 42 1/2 or 43 1/2, I forget. Looked to be in the 20lb range. My brother is a bit weird when it comes to social stuff, and to watch him grin ear to ear, as he hugged that enormous pike to his sweater for the picture (pike slim all over him... he didn't care), is a memory I'll always cherish. On one occasion, we caught two pike in the 8lb range at the same time, and had them both in the net simultaneously. That was a cool picture. We released almost every fish we caught, although, I'm not like some, and actually enjoy pike for dinner, so if we caught one around 4lbs we'd keep it. (pre- PSL). Just one for the trip.

I'm a little concerned though. The last 3 years, my brother has barely had a snif. Gone are the days he'd catch half a dozen a day, and have several follows. We don't seem to get our slip bobber rigs/bottom stuff, snapped off near as often either. We've gone a couple years without catching a single northern.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 90's, when the netting was gone, and alot of the fishing pressure was gone, it allowed the big girls to grow without predators for a decade. Giving us a plethora of 10lb-18lb fish, and a few real trophies in excess of 20lbs. But with the crappie boom, and now folks fishing walleyes with slightly heavier lines, that a number of the big girls went home with fisherman.

Have we just been unlucky, in the cold spring water, or is there a significantly smaller number of large pike in the lake (in your opinion)?

Do the Red Lake Indians harvest pike commercially?

We never fish the warm summer months, when apparently the big girls are most active, so perhaps that's our problem. What have you been seeing the last 3 years?

Ditto on the thanks to Kelly for even attempting to type all that up! Hey Kelly, maybe next time you could dictate to Patsy and she could punch the keys for ya...I'm sure that would go over well!

Also ditto to you Analyzer, on the seemingly less hits by big pike. I remember the last couple years before they reopened walleye...spring fishing was off the hook; get your limit of slabs in no time and then toss out the spoons. I remember one morning when I had my young daughters with me; from about 10 a.m. (yup, already had out limits of slabs...:) until noon we landed 11 pike between 10 and 17-ish pounds...nearly every pass in front of the river mouth. ALL released. Probably the best couple hours of pike fishing I've ever had. Check that...no probably about it!

The last couple years...not so much:( Maybe Jonny has some pearls of wisdom for us:)

No problem checking what I post.

Nobody that knows me expects perfection, grin Jon is gone crashing cats with shearblades into trees hoping that the trees fall down before the cat breaks. Thinks he's special but we've been doing that for years with plow trucks. grin

It is amazing how many people are in Waskish for Shorty. It is looking like this weekend will be the busiest of all winter. laugh

The Fisheries people saw how I messed up transfering the numbers over so they were nice enough to transfer everthing over to a PDF file for me. I'm thinking that the best plan might be if we get it somewhere where people can link directly to it. I think Jon will be back Monday and maybe the creel census can be put right on the URLAA website.

This one?

full-10775-6967-report.jpg

Now I think this is what you guys are looking for, I’m currently on the road right now with limited resources but I believe that should show up well on a full size screen.

Now as for Kelly's typing it is brutal; like the whackamole game where the little mole pops his head up and you whack it with the big club...watching Kelly type reminds me of that.

Now about the pike they are present form what I am seeing but what has slowed them is the weather. We have had several years of just plain poor weather for pike. Now it is a pretty well known fact that the Red Lake pike need several days of calm weather before they start snapping at baits and we just can’t get the weather lately. Both myself and Tyler from Bearpaw watch the weather closely for the right conditions and the last few summers those days have been far and few between. With the heavy winds and goofy temps the pike bite has just not been very aggressive and the pike bite has been sup-par.

Now don’t get me wrong we lost a lot of big pike during the boom days and start of the walleye season to anglers taking them for mounts and I am sure we are seeing some impact form that but the new pike regs bumping the slot limit up will help to get the bigger sizes and numbers back up again.

I have a bunch of pike numbers from previous years at home, once I get there I can take a look although I have not received the last round of numbers as of yet.

Thanks johnny, the wackamole image had me laughing.

You can't look at those numbers without thinking the mortality rate for the 2nd half of June is "whacked". Look at the numbers of fish harvested and released in may, and compare that to late june. Why would the mortality rate by 10 x higher? The ENTIRE month of May you had similar harvest numbers as the last half of June, with twice as many fish released in May, yet the 2nd half of June has 10 x as many mortalities. I say B.S.

Not that those numbers change a whole lot. Maybe it allows us to catch another 2700 walleyes if they're wrong though. IF you add up the entire rest of the year, it probably doesn't add up to the mortality rate in 2 weeks of june there. Was someone clubbing the fish before they released them?