• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red Barn Rods

jig-em

Question

What has been the experiences of those who have ordered Red Barn Rods? My wife ordered one for me in August for an anniversary present. I'm still waiting and Red Barn will not return any messages. They were very quick in processing my charge card however.

15 answers to this question

We purchased a rod in early november. According to the 10-12 weeks order time we should be getting it soon, but it sounds like it will be a while. As long as we have it before the open water season i will be happy. It sounds like they are very busy producing the rods. I would rather have them do a thorough job than not.

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hi jig-em,
if you had ordered the rods from fishingminnesota.com we would've made sure you were taken care of.

All of our customers have their rods or are within the timeframe we specified.

Red Barn Rods is indeed busy. They are a very good rod. They are all handmade to exacting quality standards. They do not cut corners anywhere.

Once you have it in your hands I'm sure you will appreciate it.

Just remember, order your rods here and we'll make sure you are taken care of.

Thanks for the reply Rick! I have ordered items through "Fishingmn" and have received them quickly, however, the custom rod was a gift and ordered by my wife after she saw a film clip on Kare11.
Incidently, Frank at Red Barn finally returned my messages and says he sending my rod out this morning. When I get the merchandise, I'll post an apology. Thanks for everything!

I was ready to apologize, now I'm getting impatient with Red Barn. The guys says last Thursday that he's putting my order in the mail in the morning, that would be last Friday. As of this Thursday, no ice rod! I was charged $20 for shipping and handling which would have certainly made the delivery in less than a week. I'm off to Lake of the Woods tomorrow without it! I just hope that it comes in today's mail or I'm gonna be mad!

I'm hapy now. I tracked down Frank at the Walleye expo and he made good on the rod my wife ordered. When I got home, there was a check from him refunding my original purchase price. I'm sending the check back to him since I got what I ordered in person. The quality of the rod is very nice and I used it yestereday. Even though it was frustrating, I apologize for all my bit**ing!

Saw a clip on Red Barn Rods on CH11
last night. Seems there are quite a few people who haven't got thier rods yet
and are very unhappy about it. There
is even a legal investigation into the
problem.Anyone else see the story??

The problem here is the credit card. I own a web site business and NOTHING is charged on the customers card until the day it is shipped out. So next time order from Rick and you will be happier - and PLEASE don't yell at your wife! She was trying hard to find you something special. rolleyes.gif

------------------
Phyl

I ordered my rod in October. About 5 phone calls and 10 emails later....No Rod...One response. He told me that he was going through a divorce and I would have my Rod by mid-April. What a Joke! Hey Rick, is there a way I can cancel my order through him, and reorder through you?

------------------
EVERYBODY LIKES WALLEYES

I have been waiting for my Musky Rod, that I ordered at the State Fair last August. Frank has my $500, but I don't have a rod!

I have tried to contact him via e-mail and phone. The one time I actually got in touch with him, he told me the divorce story too, along with a death in the family -- both of which I am sorry to hear about -- but I think 9 months is getting WAY TOO LONG!!!

I am sure that I will enjoy my rod, if it ever shows up.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sorry ELW,
I'm no lnger taking orders for Red Barn Rods. When he gets back on his feet (It's a verrrry messy divorce he's going through) I may put them back on.

In the mean time, I need to have very good delivery options to maintain our good reputation for delivery of quality fishing gear.

Rick & all,

Things happen in our lives and businesses that are unfortunate. It is not my intent to slander anyone but I, too have paid out a large sum of money for which I have no product, or even the promise of one. The worst thing about it is that I cannot make contact with Frank, so I have no idea what/what not to expect. Any hints? Thanks in advance for the reply.

FLB

I would say the lack of information, is my biggest complaint. I have tried e-mail and telephone - No reply to e-mails and no answer on the phone. I checked the website and no information there either.

I want to know that he still has my order, and is planning on making my rod. I think $500 should atleast buy me the right to know where my order stands.

If he would add a link to the website where you could enter your name and get an idea where your order stands, or if he would just reply to e-mails (I can understand not wanting to answer the phone, with all of us bitching).

Frank please send me my rod or my cash, I just want to get all of this over with.

Fish-n-freak,

I would recommend sending him a letter, outline your demands clearly and enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for your check to be returned in. Perhaps mention some additional action you might consider if your money is not promptly refunded in the letter as well, such as; legal action, reporting his business to the attorney general's office, collections, word of mouth reporting, contacting the press, etc.

Perhaps this guy is having a tough time right now, but no one else should have to suffer for it. That is just poor business. If he bit off more than he could chew as far as orders and production rate, he should promptly refund your money, explain and apologise for the situation, and offer to send you a notice when he is able to recieve orders again.

I have heard that these red barn rods are nice, but just as well there are no magic components. Any good local woodturner can produce the same type of handle, and any custom rod builder can use the same material and care to produce an equally fine rod, and you should not have to wait for more than two weeks. I have built many custom rods, and it doesn't take more than a week to build one in my spare time. It is simply wrong for him to be holding your money and not producing a product for you without any explanation. Send a letter!

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 05-31-2002).]

Send it Registered Mail so he has to sign for it.

------------------
Phyl

good luck. i sell tackle and hell will freeze over before youll see your rods in a timely manner. franks summer and ice rods on top of the line, but there are hundreds of people making rod of that quality. find another one and youll be fishing tomorrow.