• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pinnacle spinning reel problem???

Rockin Rod

Question

I had a pinnacle deadbolt limited recently that would back spin on me, even though the switch was set to not do that. Thinking the reel was bad, I returned it and the replacement does the same thing. Then my brother (Scoot) tells me his deadbolt limited does it as well. It seems as though the common denominator is cold weather. Whenever the temps are cold, they will backspin. I didn't have the problem all summer, but fall fishing on the Rainy it gave me fits. One morning it would backspin on virtually every hook set, but then it had warmed up quite a bit by late morning, and the problem went away. My guess is the grease in the reel gets too thick and it won't let the gear lock slip into place, but that's only a guess.

Has anyone had similar experiences? I really hate to give up on the reel as I really like it other than this one problem. Thanks.

5 answers to this question

i have three of them! two of them have been replaced for the same problem shortly after i got them. but that was about four years ago. they would start to back spin constantly no matter what or when. haven't had a problem since, and use them alot. you could try cleaning it, other wise i would take it back and want a exchange.

I have 2 of the limited ones that were around about 2 years ago. They both do the reverse thing when it gets cold out... A real pain in the butt. They don't work for a darn jig fishing in late fall when the temp gets cold. Lost many fish when I set the hook without holding onto the handle. I talked to a guy at gander mountain about it he said that I can send them in but I figure that they would probably charge me for repair beings their a few years old. Great reel but they do have problems.

All,
The problem may be due to lubricant that becomes too viscous as the temperature decreases. There is a small spring loaded pawl that engages the anti-reverse. Try removing the cover, and use a little WD-40 to dissolve the lube from that area. Inspect the pawl to determine that the spring is still intact. I have had a similar experience with some older reels.

I use deadbolts too. I love their drag and they are smooth. I ditto the cold weather spin-back problem. Just got back from jigging and rigging on Devils Lake with a full day using deadbolts. I have adapted and I put by finger against the spinning dealy part (I am a techie). It's kinda like going to keggars 25 years ago and putting your pinky finger under the bottom of your glass so it doesn't slip out of your hand... Don't use them for ice fishing!!! Got to go clean fish. Nothing too big. 14-17 inch eater walleyes for the freezer to get me through December.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND