• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm coming up Friday night and my 4 year old wants to go fishing Saturday morning with me for his birthday (he just turned 4). he hasn't done much real walleye fishing and I would like to get him on a couple fairly quickly to keep him interested. We only have a few hour window before the in-laws come over to the cabin. I'm trying to be on the lake and ready to fish around 5:45. Any idea where i should start? Usually I like to use bottom bouncers with 5 foot snell, red hook and rainbow but I think in my normal spots he might get hung up too much. Should I just toss out a slip bobber for him? If so what depths and should I put a jig on it or just a split shot? Any thoughts? By the way I will have snacks, an iPad, a small heater and problem the canvas up to make sure he doesn't get bored or cold...that would end it real quick.

Guys, to help out Neptune, what about Crappies? we seeing any signs of them moving into shallow water for spawning yet? his son would have a blast if they could find them biting!!

Cigar Man

Crappies are a long ways away from spawning. They spawn when the water temperature is in the high 60's. They should be moving into the shallow warmer water areas to feed on the first bug hatches of the year however. You need to give up your first born to get specific crappie spot information on Vermilion!

I agree with Walleye Guy. Too early for spawn but they will be coming in to feed, especially the males. Also try a little deeper outside the spawning areas.

Crappies are a long ways away from spawning. They spawn when the water temperature is in the high 60's. They should be moving into the shallow warmer water areas to feed on the first bug hatches of the year however. You need to give up your first born to get specific crappie spot information on Vermilion!

In the early spring I don't think the spots are so secret. At least I didn't have any trouble finding out where to go.

Del,

I figured it would be a while for the Crappies, just thought i'd ask! Your are right, if somebody knows where they are, they sure ain't talkng!!!

Any idea what the water temps are in black or Norwegian Bays?

Thanks!

Cigar Man

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on heading to Vermilion this weekend for some walleye fishing. Will I have some luck in the main bays (Big Bay etc.) or are most of the fish in the warmer back bays like Black Bay and Pike Bay? I really don't want to be fighting guys for fishing spots. Thank you in advance for any help.

There will be active fish shallow and deep. Deep for the smaller eaters and shallow will hold bigger fish.

Some fish were caught deep on the West end while dodging iceberg's and others were caught in Black Bay. The reports from the East end were very similar. More numbers of eaters on the East end.

Good Luck

Steve

Thank you for the feedback Sorgy. I'm assuming the lake is ice free, or mostly ice free by now?

What is the reason for larger fish on the West end versus the East end? I've only fished Vermilion a couple times now so I'm still not that familiar with the differences between the two sides.

Thanks again.

In regards to staying away from other boats, that could be tough this weekend with the walleye tournament going on...I think there are supposed to be 125 boats in the field. Although most of them would probably be fishing anyway. My brother in law and his brother took 2nd in 2010 and they have a lot of fun.

Im not saying that the fish are bigger on the west end. There are some year classes of smaller fish that are almost non existant.

The east end has had better young of the year retention and more consistent year classes.

Whether fishing east or west the numbers of smaller fish seem to come from deeper water.

The shallow fish on the east side sound like they are running large.

good luck

Steve

Del,

Get out there and fish. The walleyes are biting wink

Good Luck

Steve

I wish. Wife had knee replacement, grandkids need babysitting due to business trip, and we are putting new carpet in cabin. frown

But last spring they were up in a bay not to be named. connected by a river. (channelling my inner musky tom)

by the camp of the freezing waterfowl.

Only it was so d*** windy I couldn't stay in position.

Del,

Here's to a quick recovery for your wife. The good waleye bite should last into June with the late spring.

good luck when you get back on the water.

• 4 weeks later...

I am just starting to learn how to fish this big lake and dont get a lot of opertunities over the summer to do it.I know some colors work better than others on certain lakes. For jig heads and spinners what colors do you prefer for vermilion for walleyes?

I am just starting to learn how to fish this big lake and dont get a lot of opertunities over the summer to do it.I know some colors work better than others on certain lakes. For jig heads and spinners what colors do you prefer for vermilion for walleyes?

I mostly rig or slip bobber for walleye when I fish for them. I'll leave an actual answer to the guys that know more than I do.

My first choice in jig color is usually a firetiger color. After that,no telling what color I may put on or what color the walleyes will want!

I probably have them all in my hernia box! sick

Cliff

I am getting a pass to fish vermilion this weekend and would just like to know if mid lake structure is producing or if I should stick to main lake points. Thank you for all the good information I get from you all.

There are walleyes on some of the mid-lake reefs now.

Cliff

What times of day are better now? Any early morning, like sunrise, bites? How is the evening bobber bite?

• 4 weeks later...

Terry,

Just finished reading the "book", Vermilion Q&A. Outstanding! Thanks to all who contributed. Some buddies and I will coming to "V" July 27-31 targeting bass, both SM & LM. We like the opportunity for both in good size and numbers. Terry, I have a few questions regarding both. When searching for bigger smallies this time of year you mentioned offshore breaks. Are you talking 8-12 ft, 12-15ft, or deeper this time of year. Structure like points, humps, saddles vs stretches of shoreline? We'll be staying at the east end of wakemup narrows. Niles and Frazer bays are what I was looking at.

As far as LM, I think I got a handle on that. Just wondering if there is any deep weedline bite, or are they like Leech Lake bass - rarely deeper than 5 ft and always in the reeds and pads.

I appreciate all input, and if I can contribute after our trip, I sure will.

rascal

Hey Rascal,

Main lake structures like reefs and points will typically hold decent numbers of larger fish during mid summer. Same with saddle areas and docks in deeper water. Deep water access is a big key when locating these larger fish. You can beat the bank in some of the better areas and pop a larger one on occasion, especially if there are multiple docks or wood along the bank. Don't forget the topwaters, walk the dog style baits really excell on deeper structures. Tubes are my go to plastic during the summer but I also use sencos and crawfish on a variety of rigs. As for the Largemouth I always fish the slop. Dollar pads are my favorite, but I also like reeds and rock when I can find it. Frogs are my fave but as you know the list goes on and on.

Good luck!

"Ace"

I learned a technique a few years ago on Mille Lacs for Smallies called "power corking". It's just a slip bobber with live bait fished fast. Toss out, let the bait fall to the appropriate depth in a high probability area, maybe twitch a few times, reel in and repeat. Any body do this for Smallies, and do you think it would work with say, a Gulp! Leech so you wouldnt have to use live bait?

I learned a technique a few years ago on Mille Lacs for Smallies called "power corking". It's just a slip bobber with live bait fished fast. Toss out, let the bait fall to the appropriate depth in a high probability area, maybe twitch a few times, reel in and repeat. Any body do this for Smallies, and do you think it would work with say, a Gulp! Leech so you wouldnt have to use live bait?

I saw an article about something similar, in-fisherman I think, using plastics like wacky senkos.

Ace,

Thanks again for all your tips. I really appreciate it. I think I read on some of your past posts that you've had success with swimbaits. I've tried this a few times, but have had a hard time sticking with it. It seems like the west end weeds is the prime situation to use this method on walleyes. I'm one of the odd ones who doesn't mind catching walleyes too big to eat. Do you prefer hollow body over solid? How about heavy jighead vs weighted hook under the body? I would really like to get some confidence doing this. Doug Stange makes it seem so easy. Thanks again. I hope to give a report in a few weeks.

rascal

What colors should I be using for smallies. Whites , Chartreuse or something more natural

What colors should I be using for smallies. Whites , Chartreuse or something more natural

Pumpkin seed and greens or browns in plastics.

These smallies are eating mainly rusty crayfish!

Cliff