• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille Lacs Tullibees,

trappingaddiction

Terry's is a great spot to go out from. Roads are wide and even yesterday when the wind was blowing, I had no problem with my 2 wheel drive pick up. The guy at Terry's will tell you where to go for tullibee's. If he isn't there, get their map and drive past Seguchie flat to 7 mile flat to the end of the road (pressure ridge) and fish about 50' south of the road in about 32' of water. Have fun!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• aanderud

• monstermoose78

• broman

Mnfisher, thanks for the report. What size were the tullibee's running. Last year we got a lot of them off south tip of 8 mile, but most were small (8-10").

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

most of the ones i have caught are running 14-20 inchs

yeah I went out of terry the last time i was up. I normally go out of hunters. Well for mr oldendays I have caught tullies pushing 22 inchs off mille lac this winter but most of the ones have been catching are running 14-20 inchs most be over 14 and under 20. I have caught some smaller ones as well.

The ones we caught yesterday ran 10 - 16" with most around 13, I suppose. Thought they are were plenty big enough for smoking. It sure was a good time!

State record is only 20.5 in. and girthy. I have never seen a 22 out of mille lacs i have caught a few near 20, big sandy has some giants. I'd like to see a pic on a tape of a 22 out of mille lacs. If you want big ones don't go to mille lacs they are more in the good eater range 12-14 in.

Well for mr oldendays I have caught tullies pushing 22 inchs off mille lac this winter but most of the ones have been catching are running 14-20 inchs most be over 14 and under 20. I have caught some smaller ones as well.

sounds like you have been catching quite a few state records! wink

sounds like you have been catching quite a few state records! wink

Now you got me curious, I had to look it up.

5 lbs 11.8 ozs 20.45in length 16.40 in girth

I was thinking of hittin the lake what are the best times to catch tulies? thanks aaron

Anytime during the day works best. I caught them throughout the daylight hours last week.

Do they bite at night as well? I'm hoping to stay into the evening in hopes of some eel pout, but wouldn't mind a tullibee night bite either. Well, I'm off to wipe the dust off my mille lacs map and do some studying smile Thanks for all the info.

Try again the state record came out of little long lake near ely minnesota and those fish are very thick not like the longer thinner ones I am catching out mille lacs. I have caught tullies out of little long when I was in college. Why do people always have to come down on people I did catch a 22 inch tullie on mille lacs. I am sure it was not heavier then the state record fish out of little long lake. I was only saying the tullies are running larger out mille lacs this year.

When it was legal years ago, we netted them at Mille Lacs. Went through several thousand over the years. Never measured any but surely couldn't imagine a 20"er let alone a 22" er. But I suppose it's possbile.

When it was legal years ago, we netted them at Mille Lacs. Went through several thousand over the years. Never measured any but surely couldn't imagine a 20"er let alone a 22" er. But I suppose it's possbile.

Or perhaps since the netting ended the size structure has picked up some?

A 20 inch tullibee on the pond is VERY VERY rare. Not impossible, but rare. No one ever said he didn't catch it just that we would like to see it. To say that 14-20 inch fish are common just is not true and i would hate to ruin a persons trip by having them expect fish of that size on a regular basis. Hope everyone has a fun weekend and catches dozens! laughsmile

I was out on 7 mile twice this year with 2 different groups and so I thought I would look my pics over and see if I could spread some light on this size issue. We did not measure any of the tullies but we did measure the walleyes and they are in the pics with the tullies the walleye was 17" and it sets near the largest tulies witch I would put at around 19" not that this is the biggest tullie in the lake only the biggest one we caught out of 2 trips up there and we prolly caught over 200 fish in them 2 trips so I would say 20" is not common even if the biggest one in my pics is 20" we only caught one of them that size. the size of the tullies we got were 13"-17" with a few larger fish but only one of the biggest good luck and see you on the water KF

Do you need an extension for the auger this year?

As of last weekend, not yet, but my auger just barely made it through. So I would say, best to have one.

If you have a wheelhouse or perm, then yes, you will need an extension. My suggestion would be to just buy one and bring it with. Doesn't take up much room.

Was out last night and found 3 spots where I could not make it through the ice without a extension (i was not in a wheelhouse). I highly recommend picking one up!

I always have my extension on. I'm not tall, 5'8", so the motor starts near my eyes, but I never have to change it on the fly, and, I rarely am bent way down to the ice messing up my back lifting it out! A little more to work with in the sled or on the wheeler, but I think it's worth it.

JB, the two nights we stayed the night out there we caught tullibee until we went to sleep, about 11:30 pm. It wasn't real fast but we caught probably 20 after dark.

anyfish2,

It seem like you guys were catching them pretty good then.Can you share where were you fishing? I been out trying to find tullies (2 trips now) and gotten nothing more than a few perch on each trip. I have been trying Lybacks around the tullies hole area.