• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
trappingaddiction

Mille Lacs Tullibees,

trappingaddiction

Anyone know were to find them? Just wondering on what to use on them, depths, bottom content, etc. that you can find the most of them in. I have heard of good bites, and fish commonly biting as soon as you can get your line down, I just don't really know were to go.

pushbutton

went after them for the first time last weekend and found them pretty easily in deeper water(mid 30ish) out by banana reef and hennepin island, electronics help as they can be suspended at random depths. as far as tackle the fish were not very picky, jig and some waxies should do the trick. good luck!

ANYFISH2

last weekend we caught them in 35 feet of water off of the mud, about 30 yards from the breakline. We caught them on anything from panfish jigs(glow flipper jig seemed best) to #1 do-jiggers, the Hali jig worked well. We caught most with waxworms but many were caught with minnow heads. Most biters came about 3-5 ft of bottom. Fishing with bobbers worked but jigging them was far better.

trappingaddiction

last weekend we caught them in 35 feet of water off of the mud, about 30 yards from the breakline. We caught them on anything from panfish jigs(glow flipper jig seemed best) to #1 do-jiggers, the Hali jig worked well. We caught most with waxworms but many were caught with minnow heads. Most biters came about 3-5 ft of bottom. Fishing with bobbers worked but jigging them was far better.

How long were you fishing, and how many did you end up getting?

kingfish689

I went out of Terrys on sunday and got 2 limits of tullies and 13 nice jumbos. they have allways pointed me in the right direction when I buy my road pass.

Freedom1

What is the best way to cook Tullibees? I have read several posts that they are good in the smoker, but can you fillet them and just cook them like "normal"? We will be on Mille Lacs this weekend and hope to get a few.

TRZ II

Last year I baked up alot of them and mixed them with walleye and could not tell the difference. I also put a few in my deep frier and they were good that way too.

MidCoast

The possession limit for Tullibees at Mille Lacs is 10 per person, correct?

kingfish689

Correct 10 fish limit for tullies on mille lacs

HeviShot

Was out this morning from 8-11 am. Got 14 tullies and several jumbos. One of the jumbos was a freak. Got them all off of a mud flat in 32-35ft. (Near the bottom of the break) Using a small red jigging spoon with a minnow head. The Tullies were constently on the flasher, but the trick was to start pulling the jig up letting them chase it, sometimes as much as 10ft.

Good luck!

ANYFISH2

Trappingaddiction, we caught well over 100 that day. Although I went out yesterday afternoon with my father in law, in the same spot and we only managed to catch 13 (1pm-dark). Still marked fish all the time but had a very hard time getting them to bite. I have not seen so many fish follow a bait 15 ft up andnot bite, it was a strange day.

IceHawk

Our group was out yesterday and we caught over 50 tullibees while chaseing eyes and perch!

pikerliker

I've never eaten a tullibee. How do you guys prepare them?

~piker

trappingaddiction

I've never eaten a tullibee. How do you guys prepare them?

~piker

They are really good smoked.

pushbutton

google whitefish recipe

IceHawk

We always smoke them they are delicious!

wayzata

Hey im going up tomorrow and just wondering if there is any hot baits? And I'll have a report by tomorrow night.

broman

Smallest silver Swedish pimple with red euros.

Mnfisher

I would like to go up Tuesday for some Tullibees/perch. Not very familiar with Mille Lacs, but planning on going out of Terry's with only 2 wheel drive pick up. Will that work? Also, the Mpls forecast calls for temps around 9 above Tues and Wed. Will that affect the bite? Thanks

monstermoose78

you will limited to the roads. There are some difts out there and I needed 4 wheel drive. One of the guys I was with got hung up and I had to pull him out and he was in a 4 wheel drive truck. The weather does not seem do much to tullies.

Mnfisher

Thanks...I think I will try it. Called Terry's today and the guy I talk to didn't seem concerned. I have learned to be careful with my pickup. Have to get a 4x4 though!!!

aaahoff

what time is the best for tullibees. do they bite once it gets dark and bite though out the night. thanks

JBMasterAngler

How much does Terry charge for a road pass? Would that be a better area to look for tullibees, as opposed to the SE end of the lake? Was gonna go after trout next weekend, but hearing about this hot tullibee bite is giving me an itch smile

kingfish689

Road pass at Terry's is 10 bucks

Fishman11

what is Terry's? a bait shop?