• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years QB?

Scott K

maybe so koonie, maybe so

whatever the vikings do, they can't afford to keep getting washed up old QBs for a stopgap - they gotta draft a QB with some GOOD upside and develop him

I agree completely. However, I'd like to see us wait until next year to draft a qb. At least in the first round. Although I really don't wanna suffer through another season like this one. :-)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soldoncass

• zepman

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

Vince Young is not a solution to any of the Vikings problems at QB. Although he had a winning record with the Titans, how many times was he benched? Chris Johnson had much more to do with Young having a winning record the past few years than Young did himself. Personally, I would like to see the Vikings stay with Webb, cure the offensive line problems and go from there. I think Webb showed a lot of promise over the last couple games, and if he had a GOOD line in front of him, I think he gives other teams defenses a hard time to plan against our offense. With a coaching staff in place that will actually develop talent, it could be a major step forward next season. Even if they don't go with Webb, the only other QB I think that would be a logical fit would be Kobb. He has the upside, is still young in his career and can grow with our young receivers.

I don't get all the fuss about Kolb....what has he ever DONE? I think he would have been on the market, if the Vikes hadn't picked up Bomar from their practice squad...now they will keep him to back-up Vick.

Bomar and Webb give us a couple good young options, so I don't see the Vikes drafting "just anybody"....The qb they really want will have to be there at #12, or they will take a blue-chipper at another position....hoping it is at OL, or safety, or a Jerry Rice clone.

Since Webb had a taste of qb last year, they have to give him a chance....that's why Frasier said something like "he'll stay at qb, for now". Now if we can draft, or trade for, a top qb type Webb is too talented to sit on the bench. He has to be opn the field to make the plays he is capable of .

The other thing is....we have to have Harvin, and Rice on the field every game, or some talented back-ups....ANY qb has to have someone to THROW TO. That is the BOTTOM LINE.

I looked at Vikings transactions list.....On Jan. 13 it shows they signed Ryan Perrilloux. Anyone know anything about that???

They brought him in last year as a free-agent too. He's a guy just like Bomar...lot's of talent but had his issues in college.

Transfered from LSU to Jacksonville St.

Bomar was the starter before Sam Bradford at Oklahoma...he transferred to Sam Houston State (after accepting some $$$ from a car dealer) if my memory is correct.

I was excited when the Vikes gave him a tryout last year, but nothing came of it. Looks like Perrilloux played for the UFL last(as a back-up to Mccown?). Yesterday I saw the NY Giants signed him to a "futures contract", but he is also on the Vikings transactions list, as a signing......I'm confused. I'm hoping someone on here knows how some of that works.................

I've learned a few things about the "futures" signings....Regular contracts go til March, but practice squad players contracts are done at the end of the season. The futures contract kind of keeps the players, you want, around til the next year, as well as gives them some security. Since "practice squad" players CAN be signed by another team to a regular contract,I wonder if "futures contract" players can be "stolen" off another teams roster also? I know we lost Colt Anderson from our practice squad, and we got a couple of players from other teams the same way. Reminds me of a chess match....always changing.

Here is a quote from Rick Spielman in today's paper:

Quote:
Sure, it's great if you have the luxury of what Green Bay did and that's outstanding. They won a Super Bowl by having a Favre and bringing in [Aaron] Rodgers. Maybe Rodgers wasn't in Year One what he was when he took over as a starter. I think every team would like to have that luxury to do that, but in today's day and age, I don't know if you have that luxury.

...and that's why the Vikings will continue to fail. What does "today's day and age" mean? Green Bay did it only five years ago. Is Spielman so ignorant to assert that the game has massively changed in that short period of time? No, it means that he is unwilling to build a team slowly. He doesn't have the steel to take some long-term growth criticism like Ted Thompson did.

...and that's why the Vikings will continue to fail. What does "today's day and age" mean? Green Bay did it only five years ago. Is Spielman so ignorant to assert that the game has massively changed in that short period of time? No, it means that he is unwilling to build a team slowly. He doesn't have the steel to take some long-term growth criticism like Ted Thompson did.

I'll buy that pretty much, SA.

However, I think the Favre/Rodgers progression was just as much The Perfect Storm as it was Thompson's doing. There have been some goldurn geniuses in the front offices of many NFL teams over the decades (as smart/savvy as or more so than Thompson), but only a couple times in the modern history of the game has a team been able to field two top-quality Super Bowl champion quarterbacks in succession.

I don't think Vikes fans are holding out for The Perfect Storm at quarterback. At this point, a simple thunderstorm probably sounds pretty good to them. smile

He meant teams don't have the luxary to have a hall of fame QB playing while another good QB gets to wait in the wings for a few years before he steps on the field.

Rodgers was supposed to be the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft, he slipped all the way down to you guys that year because no one was in need of a QB after the first few teams. It was a no brainer for Green Bay to take him not like it was some awesome risky move.

Spielman built a Superbowl championship-level team in exactly 5 seasons. From 2006-2009. Unfortunately, everything went wrong in one game NFC title game, while everything went right for GB in their run. So suddently TT is god while Spielman is dirt? I don't think so. Believe me, I live in NE WI and almost everyone hated Thompson and MM right up until they beat NYG this year. 100's of "Fire TT and MM" forums out there backing this up.

I watched some clips of Tom Brady when he was in the nfl combine years ago.....wow, was he slow, tall and skinny. No wonder he went in the 6th round, but look at his success. Sometimes we get "blinded" by the athleticism, and miss the intangibles that are MORE important.I wonder what kind of QB our OC likes? Straight drop-back passer, or more of a scrambler to buy time......In Webb we have the roll-out, scrambler who can put a lot of pressure on defenses all over the field. I think Locker is a similar qb(reminds me of Montana/Young). Mallet and Dalton seem more drop-back types, while Devlin and Macelroy seem more "heady" types, who are steady, quality guys (but NOT flashy). I like any of them, for the right price on draft day. If they can fix the OL, a pure drop-back passer is probably the best, long term. As for this year I see Webb as the guy to develop as a passer, with the roll-out options often enough to keep defenses guessing. Draft a Qb for future and OL, and play-makers on defense, in key spots.

soldoncass,

there was an article the last few days on the draft and a couple of players were talking about exactly what you said. the combine shows one thing with players running around in shorts but putting on the pads and hitting is what determines a football player versus a great athlete.

I see the Vikings either getting McNabb, or Young. Of those to choices, Young is my pick. I dont see any good Qb that will be remaining in the draft at 12, that would be worthy of the 12th pick, and I see us using that pick for OL. Our second pick will be used for CB, unless they go after one of the over priced high name ones that are floating around on FA. Webb, will be our long term 2nd string QB, and possible be using him in trick plays, such as fleaflickers. McNabb, will be just another old hasbeen, so lets not bring him here. Young we can get on the cheap, maybe a 5th-7th pick? And it will more then likely be a future pick, since there cant be any trades until the new contract is settled.

He meant teams don't have the luxary to have a hall of fame QB playing while another good QB gets to wait in the wings for a few years before he steps on the field.

I totally disagree. If he had meant what you said, he wouldn't have tossed in the phrase about doing in today's day and age. Also, the Vikings DID have a HOF quarterback (the same one as GB) to nurture a young QB along. I'm also not a Spielman basher in the true sense, as I think that he's done a pretty good job. I also read that story this morning about how Childress essentially trumped him on all QB decisions. I get that. I just don't get Spielman saying that you can't bring a QB along slowly. That appeared to be the core of his quote and I think that's a short-sighted way to run a team.

Pray to the lord we don't get Mcnubb or Vince Dung.

What realistic QB do you think we should get then? Its easy to say dont get certain people, but you have to be realistic on who the Vikings can actually get. Sure we can go after Payton Manning, we could offer Indy 10 1st round picks, and I am sure we will get him, but you have to be realistic, and give up the least amount, when you have so many other holes in you team that need to be filled as well.

You could get Carson Palmer, but is he really that good? Is he worth the top picks you will have to give up?

Kolb? Hasnt proven anything, sure if we had a 3rd rounder, I would offer it for him.

Some other washed up has been?

Waste the 12th pick on a QB rookie that wont be worth anything for 3-5 years? If at all!

Young showed he can play, and win. He also knows where ever he goes, will be his last real chance as a starter, if he messes it up, he will be out a career. He has the tools, he just needs the coach to let him play.

Young got benched for poor play more than any other QB I can remember in my 30+ years of watching the NFL. NO THANKS. He had a sub 500 record vs teams with winning records. Pass. Pass on McNabb as well- his good days were behind him 2-3 seasons ago.

What realistic QB do you think we should get then? Its easy to say dont get certain people, but you have to be realistic on who the Vikings can actually get. Sure we can go after Payton Manning, we could offer Indy 10 1st round picks, and I am sure we will get him, but you have to be realistic, and give up the least amount, when you have so many other holes in you team that need to be filled as well.

You could get Carson Palmer, but is he really that good? Is he worth the top picks you will have to give up?

Kolb? Hasnt proven anything, sure if we had a 3rd rounder, I would offer it for him.

Some other washed up has been?

Waste the 12th pick on a QB rookie that wont be worth anything for 3-5 years? If at all!

Young showed he can play, and win. He also knows where ever he goes, will be his last real chance as a starter, if he messes it up, he will be out a career. He has the tools, he just needs the coach to let him play.

Anyone but Vince Dung, only thing he has proved is he can be a nut case with a few screws loose. I'm not against Palmer or Kolb if it means no Dung. If it wasn't for Chilly and his boy toy Junkson we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with, I can't believe there were people out there that thought Junkson was good.

The Vikes have too many needs to draft a QB 1st round and HOPE......Stick with Webb and Bomar,draft a later rd QB, or sign an undrafted free-agent or 2 for practice squad. There will be a few older Qb's (like Ramsey) to tap into to help mentor our young guys....although it may be better to just let our QB coach/OC train the young guys properly. I see too many spots to draft for, to waste a high draft spot on a "reach" QB. Webb and Bomar may be as good or better than any of the draftees, but need playing time to find out. I like a couple Qb's for a late round/ undrafted guy to watch.

at least with drafting a QB and hoping you have a shot in the dark at success, which is a lot better than the known suckitude that Webb and Bomar offer the Vikes

THIS is the year they can't reach for a QB at #12 just to take one. Not enough talent there and WAY TOO MANY holes to fill to make that mistake. The quality of a guy like Dalton or any of the other 2-6 round qb's is not that far off the top 3 (Newton, Gabbert, Mallet).

Rice is not guaranteed to come back...enter another huge hole to fill. Vikes need some great off-season signings at o-line...the guys are there to fix that problem.

I just don't see any of the guys in this years draft capable of solving our problem at QB. Mallet would be my first choice...IMO, he has the most upside. If we could get him with our 2nd pick, that would be ideal.

Kaepernick out of Nevada... he's the guy you want. Also, in terms of money, this IS the year to take a QB high, because of the cheaper cost

less risk, you're investing a lot less for a potentially marquee player

I've watched Kaepernick play (most notably in the upset over boise state), lot's of talent, but has NFL tight end written all over him. Go with Andy Dalton in the 2nd round.

Webb and Bomar DO NOT HAVE "known suckitude".......neither one have enough experience to show good or bad. What they do have is more pro exprience than ANY of the possible draftees. Our coaches should be getting a feel for the possibilities for both, as far as their aptitude for the pro game. When Frazier says he will give Webb a chance .......he can either play himself INTO the position OR play himself OUT OF IT. I really like his personality , and he certainly wouldn't HURT our team as "the face of the franchise". The mistakes I saw him make were when he took something OFF the throws , and gave the defenders time to cut in front. The more he gets use to our receivers, and trusts them to catch it, the less he will do that. He has a strong arm. The ONLY thing about Webb ,in my mind, is he may be TOO TALENTED to waste at QB. I think Mallet hurt his draft stock with his interview, so I expect him to drop a round or two. Getting a few quality WR wouldn't hurt us either.

We can't go into Mankato with Webb being the #1 guy, I don't care who else is here. They need to go in and say our starting QB is going to go to the guy that plays well over camp and pre-season games and earns it. If it is Webb- so be it. But we can't be hamstrung with one guy.

I agree that we need competition in training camp, for QB as well as the other positions. I'm not suggesting we give Webb the "starter" title automatically. I am saying though, just because we draft a guy in the first round, we shouldn't automatically give the "starter" title to him either. (just because he was drafted in the first round) I used to think Mallet could be our guy.....but seeing how he handled the media questions at the combine, I think we will pass on him. Frazier is looking for "the face of the franchise" for 10-12 years, and someone who can't handle media questions IS NOT THAT GUY. In my mind that kicks out Newton as well, so look for the solid, but not flashy type guys, who think quickly, and have a quick release.(Mcelroy, Ponder,Devlin) Also they will get at least 1 for practice squad, to develop depth. All of the above are my opinions of course.

Blaine Gabbert is NFL ready, that is what the concensus is on him. That is why I think we should take him, might have to move up.