• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years QB?

Scott K

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soldoncass

• zepman

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

Palmer is the most over-paid player in the NFL considering his contract vs performance. There is no way the Vikes trade for him with that contract. By the way, Palmer started the "trade-talks" once he found out Chilly was being interviewed for the Cinci OC position...that tells you what other players in the league think of Chilly.

Kolb isn't going anywhere unless the Eagles drop the asking price...and he is still an unknown. He brings back memories of the QB from the Lions a few years ago who got huge $$$ after a few good games and then fell off the planet. Nobody knows if this guy is any good YET.

As far as Favre coming back next year...maybe you didn't hear Fraziers press conference when he was appointed head coach...if you didn't, go back and listen to it. Why on earth would we want him back anyway...this whole notion completely discredits any sense you make regarding this discussion.

I'm in no way saying VY is the best qb in the league...or even close. I think he would be a good fit for the Vikes while they bring along their 1st or 2nd round qb though...and that will happen this year under Frazier. I could care less about his TD to INT ratio...his winning % as a starting qb is what intrigues me.

Gradkowski

Wallace

Leinart and,

Smith

All equal another last place finish in the North. NONE of them has any upside at all...career back-ups at best. I would rather roll with Webb and develop him before bringing in any of those four.

I'm not taking sides with either Young or Fisher on this one...I'll let it play out. But, reports have been surfacing that Fisher "created" or enhanced much of the off-field stuff about VY and that he also antagonized him for much of his stay with the Titans. Owner Bud Adams has always been a VY supporter.

I find it interesting that Bud Adams had given Fisher his approval only a few weeks ago and now he's the one fired. It's thought that management/ownership did a little digging (much like Ziggy did before Chilly was fired) and this led to Fishers removal.

Fisher is a good coach. Vince is a mediocre QB. If only the ownership of the Titans would understand this they would have a real shot at being good.

I'm not taking sides with either Young or Fisher on this one...I'll let it play out. But, reports have been surfacing that Fisher "created" or enhanced much of the off-field stuff about VY and that he also antagonized him for much of his stay with the Titans. Owner Bud Adams has always been a VY supporter.

I find it interesting that Bud Adams had given Fisher his approval only a few weeks ago and now he's the one fired. It's thought that management/ownership did a little digging (much like Ziggy did before Chilly was fired) and this led to Fishers removal.

Why dont you just come out and say that your in love with Young? At least we know that TN will be pick Andrew Luck next year with the first pick with Young as their starter. Zepman I am starting to think that you are really VY's mom.

I think Young is a low risk/high reward type player. We dont need to give up anything to get him here, and if he doesnt work out, we cut him, or let him sit on the bench. I know he had issues in TN, but if I worked at a place where my boss didnt like me, I wouldnt be a happy easy going guy at work either, and wouldnt give 100%.

I say he is worth bringing in to try, we wouldnt be out anything besides a few $.

There isn't a QB in the draft worthy of the 12th overall pick. We'll end up with Don Mcnabb and go 7-9 playing at TCF Bank Stadium.

pikedoc...as soon as you can name a better alternative I will get off the VY thing.

I've already said numerous times that I'm not a big fan of his...there are just FEW other options out there.

I don't think the Vikes go QB in the first round, no one is really worth it up there. The projected first rounders all seem like a hit or miss. They need to draft a defensive end or tackle in the first to replace Ray Edwards or Pat Williams. They can pick up a veteran QB in free agency, get rid of T-Jack and draft a QB in a later round, I personally like Pat Devlin, to give Webb some competition.

I'm looking forward to the Vikes draft this year, cause it will be a real indication of what the coaching staff thinks of current players. If they think Webb or Bomar can become "the qb",I don't see them taking a qb first round....but if they aren't sold on either one, I look for them to jump at whoever they like(even if they are projected to go later by others). Each team has their OWN ratings, so the "projections" by media etc. don't mean much at all. BPA is overrated in MY book....for instance if a player is "projected" to go early in the second round, but you pick in the middle.....you GOTTA TAKE your guy , for your NEEDS, in the FIRST ROUND instead of BPA (who plays a position YOU DON'T NEED).The qb I'd be looking for would :think quickly,football smart, quick release, good ball handler(gotta keep D quessing), and be a QUALITY GUY.

Other than qb, I'd look for studs at safety, OL, receiver, and depth everywhere else.

I agree...I don't think they take a qb in the 1st either. I think they'll jump on one in the 2nd. IMO, ALL the qb's in this years draft would be a reach at pick #12. Mallet would be the only guy I could see them taking here.

Whatever they do, they need to find a way to get their 3rd round pick back.

Bomar = Locker...almost exactly.

Webb and Newton are too similiar to waste a 1st rounder on him(Newton).

I think we'll end up with a kid like Dalton, Koepernick (sp), or McElroy (4th) which would be just fine with me.

I don't see a third rounder in this years future....that was a HUGE BLUNDER, that will cost us for a few years. Frazier is looking for talent all over (cfl,ufl), so he MAY find enough talent to shorten the drought a couple years. The coaches will tell the story.....some teams are competetive year after year, even with a young team.....that's coaching. I have a qb I'd like to see them draft, in the first....but if say a sure fire star, stud guy was to drop to the 12 spot in another position(like cb,safety,lb), I'd take them instead of a questionmark qb.

If the Vikes had the chance to get V.Young cheap or draft Cam newton, then move Webb to wr, that would give defenses a lot to defend/think about. GOTTA beef up the OL for sure, either in personnel or coaching aspect. Vikes have the size necesary, just don't seem to work together good enough.

I guess I can't envision any team being that desperate to move up a few spots in the first, by giving up their first AND a third (maybe a 6or7th)rounder. Chili isn't around, so can't get it from him.... laugh

Just for the record....if Mallet is there at #12 I'd take him, unless cb Peterson is there, then I'd jump outta my skin to get him. I see him as a rare gamechanger. If we can find some team to give us a draftpick(any) for Jackson we do it....NOW.

There is a zero percent chance that either of the top two CB is still on the board at #12 unless one of them gets arrested between now and the draft.

I'd be OK with taking Mallett at 12, but I'd rather see them take an OT at 12, then take a QB with their second or third pick. Or trade down in the first round to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick, then take Mallett later in the 1st.

if i was the GM i would put Adrian up on the block and see what kind of offers arrise. I like Adrian but the Vikings won't get to the promise land on his back, you need a top QB first and foremost(along with a good O-line), the packers just proved that. Running back along with linebacker are the easiest positions to fill with solid players, not superstars, but solid players.

That's true but there isn't team going to give up the kind of qb you are referring to for AP...no way.

The QB we need is going to have to be drafted...and then get lucky with the guy.

no i don't think someone will give up their top QB, but they might be dumb enough to give up the farm in draft picks and young players if desperate enough. herschel walker ring a bell?

I'd like a Herschal Walker type trade too, but where are you going to find another gm that would do it??? Lynn isn't a gm anymore is he??

I think you are right about the 2 cb, but I can HOPE can't I?? I don't think Mallet will be there later in round 1, and definately not round 2, so if the Vikes like him they better jump, if they get the chance. I'm not sure ANY ot are good enough for pick 12 either, so I'd lean toward a skill position. BIG BODIES are picked later rounds many times, as long as they have the "war" personality.

Rodgers and the pack winning the super bowl is just another of many reasons Favre needs to come back to the vikes next year! Now even more to prove than ever before!

Mallet will already be drafted by the time the vikes get to pick. Go O-line and draft TCU QB Andy Dalton in the 2nd round. He's got pro talent written all over him!

JB

thats good humour

but one cant help he'd like to and has those thoughts

but he headed for a wheel chair early enough i think

Mallett will not be taken in the top ten and probably not even in the top twenty.

Peterson will go top 5. Prince may not be the second cb off the board though. Personally I'd rather take J. Smith over Prince.

All the quarterbacks(Mallett, Gabbert, Newton, and Locker) have HUGE question marks about their game. Mallett is a train wreck right now. Rumors of drug issues, huge ego, no mobility, and bad decision making. Gabbert has tons of upside but terrible production this year and awful footwork in the pocket and can't handle pressure at all. Newton is a one read and throw or run quarterback in a gimmick offense. Locker has accuracy issues and clearly regressed this year. All these prospects need to sit for at least two years and be coached up.

Jimmy Smith at number 12. Book it.

maybe so koonie, maybe so

whatever the vikings do, they can't afford to keep getting washed up old QBs for a stopgap - they gotta draft a QB with some GOOD upside and develop him

maybe so koonie, maybe so

whatever the vikings do, they can't afford to keep getting washed up old QBs for a stopgap - they gotta draft a QB with some GOOD upside and develop him

Heck, they have been doing that since the days of Joe Kapp. Why change now considering the success they have had doing things that way? grin

The one thing to consider about all of this is we don't even know what type of offense we are going to run at this point other than it is apparently going to be run oriented.

I personally hope we turn to an offense similar to what the steelers run that is less complicated and geared toward power more than finesse but one way or the other that decision is going to weigh heavily on who they bring in as a QB. Palmer and McNabb are WCO types while Newton, Webb etc would do better in the offense I would like to run.

Personally if they want to stick with the WCO then maybe they should trade to get Rosencopter back for a year or 2 since he is familiar with our players and with Chilly gone he might actually be an average QB for a short period of time.Plus he should be fairly cheap.