• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Next years QB?

Scott K

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soldoncass

• zepman

• Scott K

• FISHINGURU

No one wanted Farve, then they all loved him, then they hated him again. Will the cycle repeat?

New Vikings quarterbacks coach makes his interest in Vince Young clear

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2011, 2:33 PM EST

Vince Young remains under contract with the Titans, even though the Titans have made it clear that they won’t be keeping him under contract for the 2011 season. His former position coach in Tennessee, now the quarterbacks coach in Minnesota, has made it clear that he’d like to export the Twin Titans to the Twin Cities.

“I know that question is going to be coming,” Craig Johnson told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “So my answer is going to be this: I do have a relationship with Vince, a long relationship with him. But the head coach and ownership and the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings — they’re the ones that are going to make the decision. The assistant coaches coach.”

It may have been better for Johnson’s answer to be this: No comment. Nothing good comes from making interest in a player under contract with another team known. Even if the league rarely nails a franchise for tampering, a decision by the Titans to file a tampering case (or to pull the passive-aggressive maneuver they did to get the league to investigate the Redskins for tampering with Albert Haynesworth without actually alleging tampering) would possibly scare the Vikings away from signing Young, once he becomes a free agent.

“I am sure they’ll do due diligence on Vince, and every quarterback that is going to be available on the market is going to be discussed,” Johnson said. “I know it is going to be discussed, and I’ll put my two cents worth on him because obviously I have more of a relationship with him that most. And then whatever decision is going to be made will be made. Obviously I have a good working relationship with Vince, and he produced pretty well under me.”

It’s clear that Johnson believes in Young, even if Johnson’s former boss, Jeff Fisher, doesn’t.

“I think [Vince's] future is still to be written,” Johnson said. “What I would officially say about him, and what needs to happen about him, is in the big picture he needs to be known and thought of more for what’s happened on the field than what’s happened off the field. I think that is true of him and any quarterback.”

What has happened on the field has at times been great. At other times, Young has responded poorly to adversity.

Of course, there’s also an argument to be made that Fisher has responded poorly to Young’s poor responses to adversity. Either way, there’s a good chance that the next time Young faces adversity he’ll be wearing a purple jersey bearing a number other than 10, given that the Vikings retired it in honor of Fran Tarkenton.

Hopefully Young won’t respond poorly to that specific piece of adversity

No one wanted Farve, then they all loved him, then they hated him again. Will the cycle repeat?

New Vikings quarterbacks coach makes............................................

.......................given that the Vikings retired it in honor of Fran Tarkenton.

Hopefully Young won’t respond poorly to that specific piece of adversity

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take him on to compete with Webb. I think VY knows he is on his last stand in the NFL, and he has a lot of talent, and whoever gives him that last chance, will get his best play, to prove himself. I say bring him in, let him compete for the starter with Webb, and a veteran. Sign him to a 2 year contract loaded heavily with incentives.

I might become a packers fan if we sign Vince Young.

You guys should re-sign Randy Moss, too. Oh, the drama you could have! gringringrin

Somewhere deep down I am still convinced we will end up with McNabb as our QB. That signing would drive me right off the cliff and signing VY would be pretty much the same.

I understand everyone's dislike of VY...I really do. I haven't been a huge fan of his either...and have rarely seen him play more than a game or two a year. However, there aren't many options for the Vikes to pursue when it comes to getting the next q-back...be it a "bridge" type guy or the next full time starter.

Young, Orton, Kolb (huge price tag)...none of them are heads and tails above the other. IMO, Young at least holds the most potential to be an above average starter...and at the right price.

The Vikes are going to need to take a chance with someone...throw all their chips to the middle of the table...and hope like hell they strike gold. I like the idea of having Young, Webb, and a 1st or 2nd round guy battle for the job. If we do bring Young in...and that's a big IF...I'll bet they pick Cam Newton in the 1st round and build the offense around their strengths.

Young, Webb, and Newton...combined with our offensive threats already...try game planning against that.

In the right system and with the right coaching you never know. Bud Adams could end up hitting himself for letting him go.

Could have quite the QB package in the NFC North next year

Rodgers

Culter

Young

And Detroit’s three headed QB Machine

I understand everyone's dislike of VY...I really do. I haven't been a huge fan of his either...and have rarely seen him play more than a game or two a year. However, there aren't many options for the Vikes to pursue when it comes to getting the next q-back...be it a "bridge" type guy or the next full time starter.

Young, Orton, Kolb (huge price tag)...none of them are heads and tails above the other. IMO, Young at least holds the most potential to be an above average starter...and at the right price.

The Vikes are going to need to take a chance with someone...throw all their chips to the middle of the table...and hope like hell they strike gold. I like the idea of having Young, Webb, and a 1st or 2nd round guy battle for the job. If we do bring Young in...and that's a big IF...I'll bet they pick Cam Newton in the 1st round and build the offense around their strengths.

Young, Webb, and Newton...combined with our offensive threats already...try game planning against that.

Seriously... game planning against them is too easy. Young, Webb, and Newton are all the same type of quarterback, and none of them will ever be great QBs in the NFL. These QBs may be able to be great in the college system, but running QBs just don't cut it in the NFL. The only one that has was Vick.... but he only became good when he started focusing on throwing the ball more instead of running it like when he was in Atlanta. Look at the best QBs in the NFL this season such as Brady, Peyton, Big Ben, Rodgers, etc. Do they have anything in common with Young, Webb, and Newton? No. We need a solid, smart, pocket passer with a good arm.

If we pick up Vince Young, we'll be an average team next year and be having this same discussion next offseason.

WyoChris...

You say we need a solid, smart, pocket passer with a good arm. No kidding!! Between now and this summer...where's this guy coming from?

There are no less than 8-10 NFL teams looking for a true #1 starter...or at least an upgrade. We draft #12...almost every team in front of us needs a qb...and there are only a few options for FA's or available q-backs out there. If you know who or where this guy is going to come from please enlighten us all.

Bringing in the qb/rb's coach from the Titans puts us in a position to pick up someone with a checkered past...no doubt. But VY is 31-17 as a starter with way less talent than the Vikes have currently.

Awhile back the Vikes took a chance on a receiver with the same checkered past...his name was Cris Carter. Crazy good things can and do happen when people get a 2nd chance...especially if they're as talented as Carter and Young.

Ok, I'm not a big fan of VY based upon what I read and hear. Never really saw him play in a whole game. With that being said, remember Chris Carter? Remember how talented he was coming out of college and how much of a butt hole on/off the field, and never living up to his hype when he was in Philly? Vikes picked him up for what $100 and his career completely turned around and is one of the fans favorites players and now on the verge of being a HOF. Could VY be the next CC?? Very similar early pro career paths. With that I might have a change of heart for VY.

If the CBA doesn't get resolved, no McNabb, no Young, no Kolb. They are all under contracts and can't be traded. TN is done with Young, and I am 99% sure McNabb is gone from Washington- but they won't release them outright, they will want something in return.

Couple things here.

The CBA will get solved. The NFL is way too popular for it not to get done. So those of you that keep bring it up over and over, give it a rest.

For every player you guys give me like Cris Carter, that succeded, I will give you ten losers like Jamarcus Russel that are huge bust.

The running/scrambling QB is the most overrated weapon in the NFL. They run because the are too stupid to disect the defense. Vick, Webb, T-junk, Cam Newton, Vince Young. They all suck!! Get it through your heads!! They might win you ten games in the regular season, but the ALWAYS fail in big games. They suck and they are not a recipe for a championship. They are a recipe for disaster and some stupid story on NFL countdown on how their moms raised them and their dads are in prison.

Football is a team game, and you dont always need the best QB to go all the way. Look at Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco. They arent very good, but they usually take care of the ball, their teams run the ball, and they play good defense. Its not like Trent Dilfer was Payton Manning when they won it all.

SO, if you guys would like to see the Packers and the Bears run circles around us for the next decade and make us look like even bigger idiots than we aready are, go right ahead and bring a tool bag like Vince Young here. I just hope the loser can stay out of the strip club long enough to study the playbook some.

There is NO guarantee things will be resolved. If it does, great. But I also remember strike shortened seasons for the NHL, NFL and MLB- there are no guarantees

After Chicago gets done ripping Cutler to shreds there maybe some left. laugh Lets hope there is nothing left Ah!

Jimmany Crickets I just dont want to get stuck with something like that. Something tells me we will be in the same position Chicago is in now. Stuck with an average or below player with a huge contract

I dont know who would be good to get but I do feel Web is not it TJak is not Young from what it sounds like is head case he is not it. McNabb please no we will just be back discussing the same thing through the season and beyond I say stick with TJack till we can find something better. No sense wasting money moving laterally.

We've already seen t-jacks up side......and that ain't GOOD. Webb and Bomar haven't had a chance yet, so I say give them their chance, and bring in another young qb to learn at the same time. If one of them develop faster, he's our guy.....otherwise there are always older qb's on the fringes wanting in. Just gotta find that quick thinker, that gets rid of the ball, quickly.....1-2-3 throw.

I would still like to pick up a free agent, and use our early round draft picks for the OL, and CB positions. If we dont fix the OL, any QB we bring in, wont do good. I woundnt mind to see what VY would do with a good line, a great running back, and a couple very good receivers.

It seems pretty obvious that our front office wants to win now, so hopefully they hit the free agent market strong this year, to fill some of our holes in our team.

The problem is there may NOT BE a FA market this year....depends on if they get an agreement worked out or not. Both sides are digging in their heels, and don't want to budge. Billianaires don't need the money, so the union has to give up something. I agree OL is top priority, then safety..then DL and LB and DB for depth etc. There are qb's in late rounds and undrafted guys that can be picked up cheap. The whole problem is TOP DRAFT pick QB don't work out that much either, and the only way to get a #1-2 is to be the worse team in NFL......if Bomar and Webb fail badly, we take Luck next year wink.

No matter what we need to resign Rice and our top LB.

Would like to see how Vince Young would do with a good RB? If I'm not mistaken, Chris Johnson is probably 1 of the 2 best backs in the league! If he sucked with Johnson in the backfield, he'll suck at least as much with AP back there! I'd rather stick with Webb as the man than go with Young! Beg Favre to comeback for 1 more year! It's the only solution!

Vince Young has been to 2 pro-bowls and has a 31-17 career record. He is not as bad as what you guys are saying...and he's still young. He's IS a head-case but so are half the players in the NFL.

Instead of saying "no" to the different options out there...how about we hear some REAL alternatives that you guys have up your sleeves.

So far, we've heard pipe-dreams and "no way" as to who will q-back the Purple next year.

Vince Young has been to 2 pro-bowls and has a 31-17 career record. He is not as bad as what you guys are saying...and he's still young. He's IS a head-case but so are half the players in the NFL.

Instead of saying "no" to the different options out there...how about we hear some REAL alternatives that you guys have up your sleeves.

So far, we've heard pipe-dreams and "no way" as to who will q-back the Purple next year.

You can give me

Bruce Gradkowski

Alex Smith

Matt Leinart

Seneca Wallace

Or Draft Dalton in the second round

Over that loser young anyday. And Zepman How many other Pro Bowlers throw 42 TDs and 42 Ints? The pro bowl is a joke. He IS as bad as we are saying.

And we are not out of the running for Carson Palmer or Kolb. Both would be better than Young. And I am not worried about ending up with McNothing. Frazier knows he is a loser, so do the Wiffs.

And I would never put it past Farve that he would try to come back, and with a much improved O-line I would take him over anyone else and still draft a QB to learn behind him. Webb should be turned into a fulltime reciever.

Palmer or Kolb would end up costing us at least 3 early draft picks, we cant do that, we have way to many holes to fill other then QB.