• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snow Geese?

Looks like NE is snow free. Anyword on what the birds are doing?

Just saw 100 birds posted up on facebook from south central NE. Heard of some monster shoots the past 3 days in mizzou too.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carpshooterdeluxe

• bustumup

• Bryce

• Maxxed Out

NE has been snow free for weeks.

Drove to Norfolk from Yankton, then up to Niobrara and back to Yankton yesterday. LOTS of canadians, but there are a few snows around too. Just the leading edge of whats to come. Thinking a week, maybe 2.

Saw/heard two flights of snow geese, a few hundred each, go over Iowa City, Iowa this morning. First of the year I've seen here.

Squaw Creek unofficially at million bird mark. Juvies first spotted there yesterday. I'd guess at least a week for really huntable numbers in sodak with favorable weather. Forecast doesn't look favorable but we all know how that can change. Guides I'm following aren't predicting to be in sodak for at least 2 weeks.

2 million in the refuge reported today. Good luck trying to find a hotel room near Mound City.

Just seeing a couple reports of a group estimated at 1.5 million staging on kansas/nebraska border.

Maxxed. Doesn't your guide have a plan b? An extra 3-4 hour drive would most likely be very helpful.

Man, what terrible timing with this storm system. Hopefully things have settled by the time you get there. Definitely added some drive time for you. Should help that the birds have been displaced. Maybe a little easier to hunt. Good luck.

Saw my first flock of snow geese for the year fly over Brookings today. Probably about 3 dozen or so. Took me by surprise with all the snow still around.

There were a bunch of snow geese on Lake Okabena in Worthington on Friday for awhile. My brother went to the Sports Show in Sioux Falls and saw geese flying from Luverne all the way to Sioux Falls. He said there was a pile of them in a corn field on the northwest side of Sioux Falls. They will be moving big time this week with the mild weather.

Got 2 more speakers coming and a patch cord for the 2nd mp3 player. Still testing to see if the vexilar batteries will be sufficient. Debating on painting the box white or camo. Very loud and still clear. Anybody wanting a deal on a snowbait cd let me know. I've got it on the puter now so don't need the hard copy.

2011-03-12112802.jpg

2011-03-12112613-1.jpg

Just booked my trip to Clark, SD first week of April. With all the juvies this year, that doesn't sound too late does it?

That's a tough call Bryce with those battery's. I'm not sure how much or how loud you play the calling CD for but those Vex battery's will drain fast with that big ole amp your using. I know you're trying to keep it as light as possible but you may want to up-size the batt's...

Not so much weight vs practicality of having a dedicated battery for this rig that's used for only a week or so each year. Ran it for awhile this afternoon. Granted, only two speakers at low volume but I also have no intent of sitting out in temps less than 20. Got almost two hours out of it before quitting to grill cow. Notice that there is a remote on/off amp switch to help conserve battery also. Other speakers should be here by the end of the week for further testing. MP3's definitely the way to go. Can't imagine what a pita cds would be.

Tons of birds in sodak. That was fun to watch. Unfortunately thats mostly what we did for the three days was watch.

Things were really starting to pick up on Friday until the wind switched from the S to the NW at 11:00. We had just started seeing birds coming in and were looking to feed. When the wind switched everything stopped.

Got some action on Saturday afternoon, nothing real tight to the spread but we shot 13.

Sunday was more of the same, some birds looking but nothing committing too hard. Had a few suicide singles. Ended the three days with 20 birds, for three of us.

u just need a truck and a x2 with magazine extender and a pond full of snows..and good cover to sneak up to them

Them leading edge birds are a real treat aren't they? Photographers love em, decoy hunters cuss at em. I see reports of huge juvie concentrations that haven't even left Texas yet, numerous reports of good shoots in MO, and some in NE. Sodak reports are mainly about convoys of every hat with a trailer full of decoys following every flock that crosses the river. Gonna change fast this week with forecasted weather but just saw one report of that possibly going south too. Itching to get out there but saving resources for the right time.

Hey Don,

We are hunting April 4 and 5th. If its anything like last year at this time we should do good.

Keep me posted on how you do.

Andy, those are the same days we'll be out there, so my report probably won't do you much good. frown Will you be hunting somewhere near Clark also?

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Guys I will be heading out there March 24th-28th so I will have a report on bird locations etc.

From what I heard there is quite a few snow geese in southern SD but with all the pressure there and in NE is there is more watching of them than shooting. When more of the snow melts, the geese should be able to spread out some and so will the pressure. I am guessing that last week of March should be really good!

From what I heard there is quite a few snow geese in southern SD but with all the pressure there and in NE is there is more watching of them than shooting. When more of the snow melts, the geese should be able to spread out some and so will the pressure. I am guessing that last week of March should be really good!

oh there is plenty of shooting going on too... wink

Lot's O birds, lot's O people, and plenty of shooting.

Bring a couple changes of clothes and don't forget the tow strap..... wink

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Well back from my Sd hunt. Our group did well 131 total. We got birds every day with Wednesday being the best as the birds were confused with the snow storm. Started at Aberdeen and worked down most birds were N from Iguare between Desmet and Huron. Rds are terrible as most are closed and washed out. Permission was a breeeze as usall. A big thanks to the Farmers and landowners you always make our trips fun! Field conditions were a bugger when thawed out but we dealt with the issues as usal. We got alot of matures so I would assume the juvies are on there way yet. Look for a big migration when it warms as the birds are real ancey to move N. Good luck to all future hunters.

Headed out Sunday for a guided hunt. Hope to be at nodak camp by the following weekend for a couple weeks of freelancing.