• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snow Geese?

Starting to pick up some chatter that the birds are starting to move north. Got one photo of a 200 bird hunt. Pretty tight lipped as to where. I'd guess Kansas. Maybe south Ark. if open there yet. Lots of juvies this year. Studying my calendar right now to pick some dates to book a hunt(s).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carpshooterdeluxe

• bustumup

• Bryce

• Maxxed Out

Bryce, I am fired up myself! With the way this winter has been, it'll be a while before I can think about hunting. But I'm only going to hunt SD near Sand Lake for a long weekend if I can time it right. I did end up figuring a way to get my white rocks to work if there's no wind with a zip-tie. Keeps the sock straight out and got 100 qty. for 5 or 6 bucks. I haven't yet put them on, what are the chances of it being dead calm in SD? I got three hundred of em, so if the situation arises I can put them on. What's your take? You gonna pull the trigger on a hunt soon? 40's by next week here, bring it on!

Hope you have land lined up in order to hunt by Sand Lake. Historic staging area plus the last chance for most guides since they can't follow into NoDak makes for some big competition. Don't be surprised to see spreads of 2000+. That said, will be hunting this area on the NoDak side. Anticipating late March or early April. All depends on the weather. I'm fortunate enough to have a wide open schedule at this time of the year so I just wait for the melt line to reach our land and then head up for a week or so. Will probably do guided trip mid March. Using a service that runs 7 or 8 spreads up to the size mentioned above or larger. Will probably do this mid week to avoid the crowds.

I do have access to a bunch of land that nobody will be on, just hope the birds will be around. Not really planning on running all over scouting, just going to set up in a field near a big slough and see what happens. I realize it's not the normal way most guys do it, but for the first time doing this, just want to learn more and see all the birds and if we get shooting that would be a bonus. Let us know how your hunting is going and good luck!

Make sure it's corn. Even more helpful if you know geese used it last fall. They are pretty predictable on reusing a field on the return trip. Guided hunt is really an affordable learning experience. $500-600 is pretty much the going rate for a 2 1/2 day hunt. Hunt with one of the big names that have been listed either in this thread or another on this site, and you know you're going to see the latest methods.

We hunting with Neu Outdoors last year, one of our sponsors here. John does a fantastic job with his spreads. In our field we had 4 vortex machines going and lots of decoys, i am guessing around 1500.

So much fun, can't wait for this season!

Guys,

I travel down I29 to Omaha and then over to Lincoln twice a week, so as soon as I see birds moving in, I'll post a report. Its getting close! Will be in the 50's here in Yankton pretty much all week. Hoping they come through here this year like they did last.

Guys,

I travel down I29 to Omaha and then over to Lincoln twice a week, so as soon as I see birds moving in, I'll post a report. Its getting close! Will be in the 50's here in Yankton pretty much all week. Hoping they come through here this year like they did last.

It will be interesting to see how the snowline sets up; looks like northern SD could get some more snow, and the whole state is due for another blast of cold in about 6 days.

As of today, the snow line starts just to the south of Norfolk, but by the end of the week the fields in Nebraska should be clear of snow and even into SD, I'm guessing as far north as 18. Gonna be in the 50's all the way till Friday, so lots of melting going on. My guess is that they are gonna move through Nebraska REALLY fast if they even stop at all. Lets hope we get a really distinct snow line in SD this year, could be fun.

We're doing our trip on the weekend of March 12. Can't wait. SOunds like we'll be on the Nebraska/SD border by Freemont SD

Arkie hunters are posting that all their birds pulled out today. Guessing a week in MO/NEB and they start pushing at the snow line?

Why can't I edit my post less than 2 hours old?

Anyways, sidenote. Small flock of goldeneyes whistled over my house this afternoon.

Don't think they're gonna make it much further very soon looking at the forecast. Don't expect them to loiter when the snow line moves. Birds are taking a well organized pounding in so. mo. watching my facebook and twitter. Terrible year to pre plan vacation to hunt uncle joes land. Guys on the birds are going to versatile both geographically and timewise. Pics I'm seeing do show lots of juvies as predicted.

Putting the gun and 10 boxes of tungsten in the truck tomorrow. Going to be a few weeks before i worry about getting the decoys out though.