• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brainerd $150,000 Extravaganza

Are you ready? January 22nd is the big day, nearly $200,000 in cash and prizes on Gull Lake. Only a few days left to save $10 if you don't have your ticket yet. Brainerd Jaycees $150,000 Ice Fishing Extravaganza, all proceeds benefit charities including outdoor programs for persons with disabilities at Camp Confidence.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregg52

• Camp Bob

• Bear55

• walleye-

I am thinking of trying my luck this year. I have a bunch of questions, for anybody who would be so kind to answer....

How easy is the shuttle part of it? Like, are the lines super long?

I assume all I really need is a chair, locator, rod bag, any bait and maybe a tipup if I do two holes? Can you get a small sled on the shuttle, or is it better to go as light as possible?

How far of a walk is it from the drop off point(s) to where a guy would realistically fish?

How early do you have to get there to get to a spot that you might want to fish? (I have never ice fished Gull, and only fished it once, so I guess I don't even have any "Spots", haha!) Basically, to find some place that at least on a map might be a likely spot to try. I know it will be more luck than anything though.

Do people get ticked off at guys with LX-5's? (for interference issues...)

Thanks for any advice. Looks like fun, and not far from me, trying to get a couple buddies to head with me.

Box - The shuttles from BIR are actually pretty quick and easy. The only catch is that this year the DOT guy is putting his foot down and will not allow transport of propane tanks larger than 1 pound on the busses. So, the Jc's are going to have a drop off location where you can drop off a buddy with your stuff and then run down to park and take the shuttle, maybe a ten minute deal.

As far as what to bring, a chisel should be on your list along with your drivers license to make registering your fish quicker. You can move around the site and there are plenty of holes. I usually suggest getting on the ice around 10:00ish so you have time to check depths, take in the sites and enjoy a warm snack before the fishing begins.

Everyone has run into locator interference at some point, we all just learn to deal with it and have fun.

Only a few days left to save 10 bucks. Can get your tickets on line or at local outlets like S&W bait, Fleet or Holiday just to mention a few.

Something I have always wondered. What if a guy put his fish house out say before Christmas on the site where the tourney takes place and wanted to leave it there. Would he have to move it? Or would the tourneyt have to use other ice? Always wondered since nobody owns the water and summer tournements have to fish around other boaters/anglers etc. Any know how that would work if it were ever an issue?

There always seems to be a house or 2 that is in the middle of the contest area. I seem to remember them being surrounded by caution tape and orange snow fences.

I would recommend packing light. You'll only need a couple lures, your graph, a bucket, and an ice chisel. If you like to drink beer and fish, it is a BYOB event. I've done the contest for 3 or 4 years now, and it is always a great time regardless of the weather. The people are always super friendly, so if you forget something, you can probably find someone to loan you whatever it is that you may need. The shuttle system works very well, and is fairly quick. You'll wait a little bit after the contest, but that is understandable since you have 10,000 people trying to hitch a ride.

BOXiTS A GREAT EVENT IN MY OPINION

i'VE FISHED IT EVERY YEAR BUT ONE AND HAVNT CAUGHT A FISH...LOL

OPPS DIDNT KNOW THE CAPS WERE ON

the shuttel is very fast for the amount of people

i'd say its bout 1/4 to 1/2 mile walk out where you get dropped off

i suggest going there friday afternoon and taking some shots around the area

you can as the holes are already drilled its a huge area 20,000

holes

its off a big shorline flat with points that run oout into the lake

from bout 5 ft to as deep as 60-70 seems the winner usally comes out of that deep water i think a northern has only won once most walleyes and eel pout but i think eel pout go in cycles so its been awhile since one of those won

once you do find where you want to fish mark it kinda with land marks some of the big tents or whatever

it get a little cofusing with all those people on the lake

if you want to get the spot you picked you will need to be there by at

10 they fill up fast

in the past i rode my sled out i live like 5 mins from it

but traded my sled for some equipment for the business this yr

so no sled

and i'm gettin older so unless its decent out not sure if i will fish or not

i know you have sleds if you want park in my yard here and ride you can

oh i wouldnt worry bout what flasher you have everybody has one

its very well run event and the money goes to good charitys and actual gets there

its a fun experience

you should try it

Thanks a lot everybody! That helps a ton. I will probably park at the church, as I will be coming from the north. If I can get a buddy or two to go with me smile

I don't have a big chisel, only scoop/chisel, so maybe can borrow one from somebody out there.

What we have been doing is haveing someone drop off us off with all our gear at the drop off site. Preferably someone who is not going, like your better half or someone , then when the tourny is done you call them to pick you up at the lot across fromt the drop off area.

i might make a deal with some one if they are going to go by sleds or 4 wheelrs i guess

they can park here and give me and my sweetie a ride out

if i decide to fish and that will depend on the weather

old so it going to hafta be fairly decent

Most of the hotels don't care if you park in their lots as long as you don't take the prime spots from their guests and the shuttles run every 1/2 hour. Comfort Suites has a huge back lot and their great about letting you park there. It's Camp Bob's favorite place. Right Bob:)

Sorry about that, but our lot isn't very big and we need to make it through the day. We tried to help out but we only had so much space. But we sure appreciate everyone stopping in before the big event. It sure is fun.

Jason Erlandson

Is the location of the contest in the part of the lake that comes closest to #371? Looks like it would be the NE corner. I believe Homan Point is in that area. Am I correct on the location? Tks

well kinda

but its closer to 371 than holman point more in the area of what they call polks flat kinda

its like 1/4---1/2 mile out from the hwy and little to the north

greg52: Thanks. I guess I didn't mean to say it was in front of Homan Point but in that bay area that comes right up to #371. I should be good to go now.

I think I have 3 of us coming this year, all rookies smile Trying to make sure they don't back out on me. Thanks for the good info here!

Boxmn

if its decent i think i will fish

i always head out friday afternoon to check the depths

it always in a little different area every yr not a lot but enuff you have to check out the depths

not really sure why i do i never caught antthing during the time lol

my house was right in the middle of it one yr and we were catching some huge pout...7-8lb thought for sure that was going to be my yr

but couldnt get a bite

still a coool event...IMO

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Boxmn

if its decent i think i will fish

i always head out friday afternoon to check the depths

it always in a little different area every yr not a lot but enuff you have to check out the depths

not really sure why i do i never caught antthing during the time lol

my house was right in the middle of it one yr and we were catching some huge pout...7-8lb thought for sure that was going to be my yr

but couldnt get a bite

still a coool event...IMO

gregg52, what happens if someone "Joe Q public" puts their perm house up right in the middle of the contest area before the contest? Do they kick them out or just hold the contest around them? I thought you couldn't fish in a perm during the contest? confused

This question comes up every year. Nobody has to move their fish house and the JC's don't have to set the boundaries for the Extravaganza around the houses left in the site. If a house is left in the site, it will be monitored and if a participant goes in or out of it during the day, they will be disqualified. Also, a non participant will not be allowed to drive a sled/atv or vehicle to the house unless authorized by the sherrif as the touranment site is closed to non-authorized vehicles.

With this said, I would NEVER leave my house in the site. Nobody is responsible for the damage that could and has occurred by flodding and freezing in or by vandalism from the thousands of anglers. Houses have been urinated on, windows broke etc.

As a courtesy, the JC's have always contacted those who are within the site in case they didn't know and many times have helped people move their houses to a safer location.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

This question comes up every year. Nobody has to move their fish house and the JC's don't have to set the boundaries for the Extravaganza around the houses left in the site. If a house is left in the site, it will be monitored and if a participant goes in or out of it during the day, they will be disqualified. Also, a non participant will not be allowed to drive a sled/atv or vehicle to the house unless authorized by the sherrif as the touranment site is closed to non-authorized vehicles.

With this said, I would NEVER leave my house in the site. Nobody is responsible for the damage that could and has occurred by flodding and freezing in or by vandalism from the thousands of anglers. Houses have been urinated on, windows broke etc.

As a courtesy, the JC's have always contacted those who are within the site in case they didn't know and many times have helped people move their houses to a safer location.

Thanks Camp Bob. I'm Not that Guy. Was just asking! laugh

ya they did call that yr i had mine out there it was just a portable

i really forgot to move it

and they fold it down when i went out i couldnt find it right away lol

with all the people around it lol

Does anyone know when the access off of 115 closes to the public? We always go up with our wheelhouses on thursday and spend the weekend on the ice and fish the contest but this year we won't be able to get there till around 11am friday hoping we can still get on. Also how is the access looking this year are people driving out to the middle or all the way across yet. Thanks

I am not able to attend the contest anymore and have two tickets that I am willing to sell for $30 a piece. So I have two tickets for $60 if anyone is interested please let me know. The originally asking price is $35 a ticket and is now $45 a ticket so you would be getting a deal.

HEY CAMP BOB

can he sell those tickets like that

i was going to buy em but got to thinkin if that was a do able deal???

HEY LEECH

you plan on fishing ???

My name isn't on the tickets themselves just the register number so you could you use your own name. They're all yours if you want them.