• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What gun do you have?

cbrooks

I start the year with my 870 20 gauge and when it gets cold and nasty and the shots get longer I switch to my Beretta 303 12 gauge. Both are excellent performing guns but like others have said, this to a large degeree is a Ford/Chevy debate. Get one you like that functions and fits you.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• 311Hemi

• JJK

• life=outdoors92

I'm not a fan of 3.5" 12ga. If I wanted to shoot a 3 1/2" shell I wouldn't waste my time or money on a 12. A lot of guys like it, but I have no idea why. In the hands of an average or poor shooter the 3.5" 12ga load probably just cripples more birds. I'd rather miss them clean.

From my experience with Beretta autos (owning 2) they're really nice reliable guns. But they don't fit me worth a darn. And I have to really burry my cheek to the stock.

I'm not a fan of 3.5" 12ga. If I wanted to shoot a 3 1/2" shell I wouldn't waste my time or money on a 12. A lot of guys like it, but I have no idea why. In the hands of an average or poor shooter the 3.5" 12ga load probably just cripples more birds. I'd rather miss them clean.

a 3.5" inch shell is mainly used for waterfowlers who need it for the bigger mallards and geese. not only does it hold more, but it usually has more range than a 3 inch.

really? cause when i go goose huntin i choose 3.5 inch since it can shoot 1 1/4 oz bb faster than a 3 inch same load. fps

Another thing 3-1/2 is good for turkeys if you ever wanted to chase them. I would suggest shooting a pump 3-1/2 and check the recoil some of the lighter guns can really buck.

For me my go to gun is my old 870 wing master I just change the barrels for grouse pheasant or deer I shoot a 30" full for roosters and switch between a skeet, imp cylinder or mod barrel for grouse or deer.

My favorite auto is is the win sx2. I use it for fox and yotes with 3" #4 buck Tracking bears with 000 buck all the upland birds I borrow it to friends for turkey season since it patters well out to 60 yards shoots slug fairly well and can crush the clays at trap skeet or sporting clays.

Someone mentioned get one that fits you is probably the best critirea that you should consider for a gun purchase,you pull one up to youre cheek should hit the stock instantly and sight plain is straight down the top of the barrel all in one motion !i own many guns but theres only a few that will do that ,i still go back to my old magnum 20 auto 5 for bird huntin ,as for range dont worry use good quality 3 in magnum loads and youre buddy will look at you in disbelief after you dump roosters at 50 yards after hes unloaded with his 12.used to do that with ducks before steel days to!if grouse is youre game consider something with a straight stock or called a european stock ,it makes you a hair faster on the mount, have a 28 gauge ruger red label like this and man is it fun so light you can carry it like stick !

I have a Benelli Montefeltro 12 Gauge and I would recommend it because it can be used quite effectively in most hunting situations (although I spend most of my time after pheasants). It can hold up to a 3 in shell (4 or 5 of them if I am not mistaken) which I now think is plenty. I was getting sold on the 3.5 in capability when shopping for shotgun until I came to my senses and bought the Monte. It is light to carry, but not too light because it doesn't kick much with heavy loads. Most importantly it fits me great and my accuracy has improved too, but does come with some adjustments if needed. I have never second guessed the purchase.

I did some checking and life92 you're right. The 3.5" were a bit faster, a difference of about 25 to 50 fps was the norm. I'm not sure if I could notice a difference in the field.

The difference I could notice, is a lighter wallet. 3.5" were about $6 more per box. You guys shooting these shells are paying more than $1 per shell. Ouch!

Man, those shells can really add up. Especially the 3 1/2 inch. Might have to look into reloading but that can be a whole new thread if/when I get there.

Lots of good advice. I have an idea what I'm gonna get. It will probabaly a couple of shotguns one for upland the other goose/waterfowl. Sometimes there some good sales in between now and next season. That might persuade me one way or the other. next year I'll be able to give hunting reports for my neck of the woods.

Man, those shells can really add up. Especially the 3 1/2 inch. Might have to look into reloading but that can be a whole new thread if/when I get there.

Lots of good advice. I have an idea what I'm gonna get. It will probabaly a couple of shotguns one for upland the other goose/waterfowl. Sometimes there some good sales in between now and next season. That might persuade me one way or the other. next year I'll be able to give hunting reports for my neck of the woods.

If you got the money then no harm in buying multiple guns, but I personally recommend starting out with a 3" gun and see how that works out for you. You may find you have no need for another gun (but it's always fun to buy more). I have no problems hunting upland and waterfowl with a 3" gun and I really don't see the need for 3.5" shells...even for waterfowling. Unless you looking to buy a second gun that you can beat on in the blind and not care about dinging up.

I never use 3" shells for pheasant or other upland hunting. There is simply no need. the 2 3/4" shells perform very well. My fav load is the Fed Premium 1 3/8 oz 5 shot that flies at 1500 fps. I keep track of the birds I shoot and how many shots it takes and let me tell ya, these shells just plain work. 90.4% of my kills are 1 shot kills and I have recovered 97% of the birds. That is a testament to good shells and good dog work and a good bit of luck as well.

I primarily shoot 3" #2 shells (steel) when upland hunting because I find it works good for both waterfowl and upland hunting, and I can stock up on just one shell. I hunt mostly public land, so that is mainly what I buy now. I do have some remaining stock of 2 3/4 #5 lead as well that I need to use up, but not sure I will continue to buy any more of it.

Me too all 3 inch or less 12 guage shells.

3" #3 or 2 steel for phez, and 2.75" 7.5 lead for ruffs and doodles. I will switch to 2.75" #6 lead shot for grouse after the woodcock season closes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would follow up on what gun I decided to get so far. I ended up buying a used Beretta X-trema 2 w/KO. It was a real good deal from what I research for pricing. I'll test it some time this week. Thanks again everybody.

Thought I would follow up on what gun I decided to get so far. I ended up buying a used Beretta X-trema 2 w/KO. It was a real good deal from what I research for pricing. I'll test it some time this week. Thanks again everybody.

I have the same gun minus the KO and love it.I also have a 16g o/u that I use when I am feeling nostalgic as well as a 20g o/u but the extrema II is hard to leave behind.

I use the 3.5 " shells for coyote and the recoil is not that much more than the regular shells.

I also agree wit Cody on the Federal shells. They are deadly.

I purchased the SX3 by Winchester a year ago and I have no complaints. I jam shells down it all summer long on our trap range team. Then in the fall it gets used chasing pheasants in the most ideal condtions to some of the worst conditions. The one I purchased is the camo that also shoots up to 3.5 inch shells. Its a little more money but if I ever would take up turkey hunting I am set with this gun. It is a fairly light gun also which helps on those days that you got to walk a little more to find the birds. I would recommend this gun to anybody and I don't think they would be dissapointed. I know i'm not.

Pump 870 Remington has a quite a track record. Eventually i will have to own one of those.

1971 12 ga. Rem. 870 with 3 barrels, 26" mod, 30" full, and a 34" full goose barrel. I use it for everything.

I also have a 1970/71 Browning Belgian Lightning 12 ga O/U, which doesnt go in the field.

Both were handed down to me from my father, and will go on to my son.

Pump 870 Remington has a quite a track record. Eventually i will have to own one of those.

Quite a track record, indeed.

They're definitely cheap enough to buy also, new or used.

I bought my 12ga new about 15 years ago, and my 20ga was my dad's (I think he said he bought it new in the early 60's). Neither one has ever malfunctioned.

Not to mention there about as simple as you can find, which is the reason for not having any problems.

I think anybody would be hard pressed to find somebody that has something bad to say about an 870.

I shoot a Benelli SBE. The remington 870 will definately always be a solid choice. The 870 is the best selling shotgun in history with over 10 million sold. I will say I think the wingmaster is a much better gun than the express model. I would find a nice used wingmaster before getting the express. There are more differences than just the looks. My beat around gun is a 1950's wingmaster that really gets abused and still works pefectly.

I have a few shotguns. Hunting and my dogs are all of my attention and focus so I spend way more on both of them than I should. I have 2 Beretta Silver Pigeon Vs - a 12 and a 20. I like to refer to them as the deck and finished basement since I would have both had I not bought them. I also have a Beretta Extrema 12 ga. Some call me crazy but it's my money I'll spend it how I like.

I know the op already picked a gun up, for for others looking...

I use a Browning Maxus. I bought it this last fall. Sent about a case of shells through it over the pheasant season. Awesome gun. cant say enough good things about it. Shoots great, easy to take apart and clean. Easy to put a plug in. Easy to load and even easier to unload (dont have to cycle each shell).

As for a backup, I have an 870, but haven't had to use it since getting the Maxus.