• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What gun do you have?

cbrooks

Looking at getting into upland hunting next year. I'm curious what everybodies using out there? This gun is primary for grouse or pheasant. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cbrooks

• 311Hemi

• JJK

• reddog

I started using a CZ Ultra Light 12 o/u this year and loved it. Weighing in at 6 lbs it was nice and light to carry all day in the fields. It also shoulder nice and easy for me. It is a great gun.

I use a great big one that goes BOOM.I usually use my old 870 had it a long time and am very comfortable with it. When hunting grouse you usually don't have a long time to make your shot, you want the gun to feel like an extension of your arm. Point and shoot.

Thanks for the quick feedback fellas. I do have a dog. Its a golden lab. He already retrieves injured birds in the backyard. I'm sure his retreiving will be better than my shooting smile. So I have to do my part. Keep em coming.

Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge most of the time, although I'll pull out the Winchester Super X2 12 if I head out to SD for pheasants. Eventually I'd like to get a Montefeltro 12 for pheasants. They are awesome guns, and more dependable than the X2. 3 days in the dusty wind with the X2 and I'm basically down to a single shot unless I clean it every night. The Benelli keeps going.

The Montefeltro is nice looking gun. Is there anyone who's disappointed in a Benelli? They put out a good product.

I have several but most of the time I'm using my Franchi 48 Al 20 gauge. Its as light as they get when it comes to an auto and I have the rare 3 inch mag thye dont make any more so its got plent of pop.

I own many guns, and use them all at different times. From my 20 Guage Beretta auto, to my Remington Premiere O/U, to my trusty old Charles Daly 12 auto, which just keeps on shooting. I will say I have almost given up using my pumps, and they are now display pieces in the gun safe. But I know plenty who still rock and fire, I just have lazy arms now! HA!

What I am trying to say is, it really is a personal preference that is totally up to you. See if you can borrow a O/U, use a 12 and 20 auto, grab a variety of pumps and see what friends use. Don't worry about the brand or what your friends say is "the best" that is a decision for you. Chad

An old Remington 870 Wingmaster is my preferred choice in my pheasant arsenal. I also won a Benelli Super Nova and use that from time to time. But for the most part its all about the wingmaster in my eyes.

Thinking about saving money some day and buying a Benelli SBE but cant see myself forking over that much cash for a gun since all of my guns have either been handed down or won.

I'm alot like Muc I have a bunch of guns that i will use from an old springfeild 20 ga pump to a browning gold 12 ga . I think this year I would have used the stoger auto this year more than anything thou as it is light wieght and fires on command. and I always bring my trusty 870 as a back up gun as it neveer seems to fail

Rem 1100 O.K. gun. But just got a Maxus Hunter and itching put some rounds through it. It feels better than any scatter gun I've shouldered so far.

I'm not a fan of O/U's, my shooting is poor so I usually need one more round.

Yeah, go play with a bunch if you can.

It is unreal what a gun that fits YOU can do for your shooting. I have shot a number of different guns over the years, but now use a Benelli Nova as my go to gun. It is a little heavy for my liking but it fits me so well and my shooting improved dramatically with it so I put up with the extra weight.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. The gun I'm looking at getting will be a semiauto. I will probably buy a pump action for my goose so I'm interested in those opinions as well. I don't think I will be using a O/U since I'm still a rookie and need all the shots I can get. Someone mention you have to be cool enough to use one of those wink. Maybe one day.

I have tried a few guns over the years. I never tried a Beretta. Don't know many people who have them. I really like hearing everyone's. I trust what I hear here on this website than what some salesman says. Keep em coming.

Like others, I have other shotguns in the safe, 2 1100s, 1 1187, several 870s, a browning double auto, a model 12, even Maverick Assault style shotgun.

My hunting career started out with Black Labs, and has progressed into pointing dogs. in my younger days, I thought I needed the extra firepower and shell holding abilities of the previously mentioned shotguns.

With age comes some refining of whats important and 3, 4 or even 5 shots is extremely low on the totem pole for me now, hence the Beretta 686 OU and the GSPs. Theres no way that I wouldve bought that gun myself. My wife gave it to me as a present in 2007.

There are lots of great shotguns out there, but dont get caught up in the more is better in regards to shooting capacity. Making your available shots count, is whats important!

I shoot an SX2 for pheasants and grouse and love it. I have not had many problems with it jamming, but I clean my guns often out of habit. The ones I have had were mainly this year, and in cold weather hunts where I got snow in the receiver which melted and froze the shell in the magazine. Other than that no complaints and has been very reliable...especially on our pheasant trips to SD.

When I was looking I was also considering the Benelli M2, and the Beretta 391, and Browning gold.

The SX2 fit me the best (coming from a Browning A5) as it has a raised rib on the barrel, and the M2 was the next best fit if I remember right. With it being the best fit and the best price....the SX2 is what came home with.

All of the guns I mentioned are going to be good semi-auto's. You really NEED to go to the store a few different times and shoulder all of them and see what fits you the best. Watch where the top of the barrel lines up with your eye when you shoulder quickly....does it line up even, are you looking down at the top of the rib? For me the SX2 was the best fit as I was almost looking right down the rib of the barrel when shouldered, and could only see a little of the top of the rib. I had to shim it down a little more to get it perfect for me. Look at other things like the safety....where is the safety? I know on the Beretta 391 Urika the safety is in front of the trigger and it took some getting used for one of the guys in our party. Check out the weight...are you going to buy a gun for 3.5" shells? If so, that will probably be heavier than a model that only holds 3". What chokes (if any) does the gun come with. These are just a few things to pay attention to when out looking.

Thanks for the tip on shouldering the gun. I learned a few things in your post. The shotgun I'm looking at only needs 3" shells. I think I well be buying a pump 3 1/2" also. Unless I'm convince otherwise.

I am in the same camp as reddog. Have several but I mainly use a Browning Citori, 16 gauge for all my rooster shooting. 28" barrel, very light carrying gun. old addage for a 16, Carries like a 20 and hits like a 12. My son has the Montifeltro and loves it. If I were to switch to an auto loader, that would be the one. Before the O/U I carried 870's, a 12 and my late father's 16. Hard to beat the flawless operation of a 870. I have a pointing lab for a dog, so I kinda of have the best of both worlds right now.

I use a Benelli M2 20 ga for upland and I use a Mossberg 935 for water fowling. Neither gun has let me down. I have a 20ga Rem express and a Mossberg 835 for backup guns.

Mwal

Just curious why you'd want to have a pump as your fowl gun. Why not buy one of the upper level autos (or pumps if so inclined) that handle any shell?

SBE II here with Nova as back up. Occasionally dig out an old Rem. Model 11 for roosters. Just bought wifey Benelli Super Sport in 20 guage. Sweet feeling gun. Carbon fiber and factory ported. Can't wait to beg her to use it. Wish they would come out with an SBE with that carbon fiber.

20 ga o/u

20 ga semi auto

12 ga sxs

12 ga semi auto

For pheasant I'd recommend a 12 ga unless you have good self control and are a good shot.

The key to any gun is to set it up so it shoots where you look. Shouldering it in the gun shop and saying it feels good doesn't count. You need to pattern the gun to see where it really shoots.

Just curious why you'd want to have a pump as your fowl gun. Why not buy one of the upper level autos (or pumps if so inclined) that handle any shell?

Cause right now I have my heart set on a Benelli Montefeltro or legacy. Both those guns have 3" shells max. If I was gonna buy them along with say SBE I would really break the bank for my budget. I could change my mind back and forth on this. What ever gun I buy will be my first shotgun ,but it probably won't be my last.

I have a Benelli Legacy 12ga with a 26 inch barrel for pheasants/grouse and Benelli Ultra Light with the 24 barrel for grouse. I highly recommend any Benelli semi-auto, they are fast and light.

Another nice gun to consider is the Browning Maxus. There is hardly any recoil and the gun shoulders just like my legacy. I would buy one but I cant leave home without my legacy, so I figure whats the point of having one.

The key to any gun is to set it up so it shoots where you look. Shouldering it in the gun shop and saying it feels good doesn't count. You need to pattern the gun to see where it really shoots.

I agree with your first point, but how does shouldering the gun in the shop not count for anything? You don't buy a gun unless you first pattern it to make sure it really shoots where you expect it?

I have a Beretta 686 white onyx in 12 gauge. I hunt alot of public land for pheasants, and 12 gauge for steel is preferred.

Quote:
I agree with your first point, but how does shouldering the gun in the shop not count for anything? You don't buy a gun unless you first pattern it to make sure it really shoots where you expect it?

If it doesn't shoot where you look it doesn't matter how good it feels. We all buy guns based on how it feels in the shop. Many hunters will declare right there "it feels good" and off they go not knowing how the gun really shoots. Many hunters don't take that all important next step and invest some time and effort in patterning the gun and, if possible, adjusting it so it shoots where you look. You may still need to set it up for drop & cast.

Beretta 390 and 391. My 390 gets most of the work, but that doubles as my deer gun, so when the deer barrel is on that, I use the 391. Both have been flawless, I cant say enough good about them. My group of hunting pards all use Beretta autos, 7 in all, all with outstanding luck.

But having said that, find a gun that fits you right and as was mentioned, is an extension of your arm. That is the most important. My 390 and I go back to 1996 and I wont be changing anytime soon.

If it doesn't shoot where you look it doesn't matter how good it feels. We all buy guns based on how it feels in the shop. Many hunters will declare right there "it feels good" and off they go not knowing how the gun really shoots. Many hunters don't take that all important next step and invest some time and effort in patterning the gun and, if possible, adjusting it so it shoots where you look. You may still need to set it up for drop & cast.

I agree, and that next step is important and should be done to make sure whatever you buy is fitted properly. But, that doesn't mean that you can't get a good idea of what guns "fit" just by shouldering them in a shop. Shouldering or fitting them in the shop does not count for really telling how they shoot for any particular hunter.....but I think it's a good starting point to find a gun that is close and may only need minor adjustment if any(and hopefully includes shims!).