• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Portavilla Report

Portavilla

The fishing was slow last night and we haven't had much of night bite the last couple of days. Yesterday the guys in the evening averaged 4-6 keepers. The upside is Jerry just expanded our road out farther so we start seeing guys spreading out. We will start moving some houses today.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Portavilla

• chaffmj

• Iambjm

• Walleyehooker

How far out are they letting trucks and wheelhouses? More space would be great to get people spread out, we are heading up on the 26th bright and early.

The guys have been doing the same as yesterday a couple getting around 15 and some getting a few. The average has been around 8, one guy fishing by himself got a 37" pike and a 23" walleye at the same time and managed them both in. He was pumped.

Bill and I spent the day running the mud we went to some of our favorite spots and came up empty. We didn't even mark much of anything. They seem to be in the sand and rock. The guys in 10' feet of water did much better. The weather was fantastic and we were all having fun today, out and about.

The first of the shack dogs arrived today and what an addition to the program. Every time we drove by it was here have some chicken, here have some ham. It was like flying in to a pit crew, it was awesome. Bill and I pounded the ice today checking and ran 5" to 8" of ice with the wheeler searching for eyes two miles out. We left those shacks behind so we can keep checking like a weather station.

Last night we had a good night bite between 1:00AM and 4:00AM. Today we started running some Nomads in and checking areas in closer. The guys for the most part did a little better last night and two more nice pike have been caught.

Bill and I are still not content yet and we will keep at it until we are. The guys have been happy with what they are getting, I guess that's fine but I will keep at until I am fine with it.

Yesterday was real slow and we did a lot of moving around. We found a spot in closer and had the shack dogs fish it, they got three in an hour. We put some day fisherman in it this morning and they did the same. Bill and I picked up eight houses and moved them this morning to a new location of course that's what we have been looking for.

Dallas a single guy is coming back up over Christmas and bill and I will head back to pat the kids on the head and do the oohs and all. We will be back the morning of the 26th. The shack dog was the best idea since the power auger.

Chris, My dad and I just got back from one of your shacks. We nailed a couple more around 5am on the rattle reels and my dad got one more this morning. You guys run a top notch operation and as I was telling some other people everyone we ran into in Kelliher, Rogers Resort, or Portavilla is the oppitomy of Minnesota Nice. Thanks

We will have to give it another try when the ice thickens up some more and the shacks can be spread out further.

DSCF0584.jpg

DSCF0578.jpg

Well we are back from our shack dog experience, and it's better then advertised x10 From upgrading us to a 4 man sleeper to the fishing we couldnt have enjoyed it more. Billy and Chris are great people and make you feel right at home.

Fishing typically was good in the evening and then again during the night a ton of activity. My best bait was a chubby darter tipped w/a shinner head easily iced a dozen with it. Glow blue on the rattle reels produced every night.

On wed they set up a a scout house and asked if we wanted to give it a try, hour later i hand landed 3 over 18.

Most fish we caught were fat healthy fish from 18-22 inches.

I did get a 38 inch pike wed morning at about 4am,great fight especially half a sleep.

Thanks guys for a great time,

looking forward to it again! Happy Holidays and drive safe.

Mike and Brad

The bite during the day was dead a few guys did alright towards evening but it was slow for the most part. We have 20 houses spread out all over and it was a common report. We will see what the night & morning bite brings.

Bill, Dallas and I ran around with the girls fishing but didn't do any better. I will say it was a little different experience than what we are use to, they were in there pajamas and slippers all day and seemed to have a ball. Little girls have a lot to talk about that's for sure and every time they caught a fish they called me to take it off. We did have fun and they love camping on the lake.

Last night and the morning bite was dead with signs of life by the evening bite. Guys were doing good moving tip ups around, it seemed like you had to bounce it off their heads. Guys were not marking much and the fish didn't seem aggressive. The evening bite did improve and kept me from impaling myself with the filet knife.

Maybe that's how it's done in Japan but this is the good old US of A and we just don't do it that way, instead we drop plow and run it into the lake bottom. Tonight Billy, Dallas and I will draw straws.

Tonight the shack dog came up short so we had to settle for meat cookies.

He got up later in the day and we put him in a new spot we wanted fished an we didn't have time to get him all set up with all the pots and pans so we ate frozen hamburger patties. It's more important to find a better bite. I know you know the drill.

The evening bite did improve and kept me from impaling myself with the filet knife.

Maybe that's how it's done in Japan but this is the good old US of A and we just don't do it that way, instead we drop plow and run it into the lake bottom.

whoa... glad to hear that no impaling occured. I searched around the multiple Red Lake outfitters and came across Chris' site yesterday, gave him a call and even though he was on the move, was more than willing to take time to answer all my questions. Booked two nights with Portavilla in late January, and we're very much looking forward to the trip, that is, if Chris' plow isn't surrounded by hammer handles by then.

The move did pay off and we will start moving the rest to new spots. Sometimes a guy just has to humble himself and pray about it. A significant improvement and about time we will see how long it holds.

I think we set the bar pretty high for the shack dogs smile Keep up the great work Chris and keep Billy fed good!

The city is a buss folks are back to catching fish everyone is outside having a good time. We started catching fish out and it's nice to see Walleyes flopping on the ice. I woke up this morning and told the guys we are lifting them all in the air today and making the move. The guys in 7-10 were getting more keepers as well. The weather system seems to be helping things as well. We have just are 6 mans to move and they all have been relocated.

17 houses moved, banked, drilled and slushed and it was a good day, the guys are getting about 75% keepers. One guy left yearly today and he should of stuck around it was a lot of work and shack dog brought on the chow.

The thing that takes time is knowing where to make the next move weather station 2 fired up and the move was on. The ice is sketchy but we plotted are course yesterday and every house was full of people when we moved and there was no complaints.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chris you guys defintely work hard to keep your houses on productuve spots. Great the hear that the bite is pciking up!

Not much happened with the rattle reels last night and it was more of a evening bite. They were getting some this morning when I was making the rounds. They are getting more throw backs around 20-23" but having fun with it. Dead sticking was doing better than jigging by most reports and the guys using tip ups were by far out producing those that were not.

A better bite is just out of my comfort zone and guys using portables are getting limits and doing very well about 50% are in the slot. However some are really pushing it with driving in those areas, the ice is not that good. Sleds and wheelers are the ticket to get there. I have done a lot of exploring and I think we are on the edge of safe ice, going past that point with a truck is pushing your luck.

The fishing slowed down today but it always seems to when it blows hard. I didn't get a chance to talk much with the guys but told them last night it would go down like that.

A new shack dog arrived in camp and our other one departed. I felt kinda of bad, the last dog we just kind of threw him a bone and said make the best of it. They improvised and did good with it. I knew the new dog was a different sort when I was asked what we had on the menu? We were dumfounded never thought about it before, we looked at each other and laughed. They however were persistent so we told them to buy the groceries and we would reimburse them. It was total bliss, they didn't want to be out done and man what an effort. We even had dessert. We might even be looking at top dog honors here.

see you friday portavilla can't wait. It will be our first time renting a house so it should be a great time. fished red quite a bit and have had great success. Hey chris has there been many pike caught where your houses are?

How are the roads coming off of Rogers after all this snow? I was hoping to head up this week at some point. Can a person still drive anywhere around on the lake with a four wheel drive or did you guys get enough snow that a person is stuck to plowed roads now? Thanks.

The side we quite plowing at did ok but where we plowed quite a bit it was real quite as far as the bite goes. We will be making a move today and tomorrow. We have to get out of there regardless, the snow is to drifted in.

We have got some nice pike and you can not run wild with truck you will get stuck.

We have been digging out from the storm and what took one day to will now take three. The bite was not to good out there with all the plowing in the area so we are moving back to structure. We were on the edge of safe ice and tried to go out but could not find a plowable spot that was already covered by shacks.

We are going to hold out in 9-12 feet of water and run our portables out in the mud. If your coming up with us the more portable the better. Guys with sleds own the lake right now and it will be a couple of weeks before getting out in places I would prefer to be. The mud did good for a while but we could not advance farther out and got boxed in on the sides. In the mud once you get a lot of traffic the fish just move over 400 yards and we can't follow them, we would if we could.

The structure a least holds fish it's not as good a bite as out farther but not a shutdown with all the traffic, something is always coming through. Rogers is selling Shiners, Suckers and Fatheads. Mixed reports on what's working better leaning towards the Shiners.

Thanks for the info. Coming up on Thursday and will try to bring a sled or two and a portable.

Also - email sent with some rental questions.

Were gna b heading up fri morn and getting pretty excited 2 out fish the buddies lol jk but any word on how the fishings been? I've always fished out of rogers and have had decent 2 great success, we've fishd close 2 ur houses but it'll b our 1st time in 1l

The bite has been slow and guys with portables have been doing better. We are finally dug out from the snow storm with all our houses, and on new spots. We also ran a half mile east from every one and made a road heading straight north and bermed it off.

Our houses are now away from everyone and we are back to fishing 9-14' of water that you need a big v-plow to get to. We have structure below it and a lot of broken ice above it. We got boxed in before with no way to advance so we took some different measures this time around. Guys with portables are doing real well here. Now we can roll our houses as far north as we want to or can.

Jerry from Rogers is packing a road with the bombardier so four wheelers can have a better shot at making it to the center bar with portables from Rogers access. This is something worth considering if you can. The Center Bar this time of year is normally boiling. Snowmobilers still own the lake. I still feel like a dog on a leash but we just found a weak link in the chain.

We have been spread out over 9-14' and it's been pretty poky. We got caught up today with everything and have been running the Nomads around. We found some good fishing in closer yet, but the bite was only a couple of hours long. The guys said during that period they marked a lot of fish. We will fish it some more and see what happens.

We got off the chain for another quarter mile and ran back into 9" of ice we setup a couple of Nomads and they where catching fish in about 15 feet but again we will see if it holds.

The Center Bar has been producing fish and guys were making the run out there however just got word from our guys that a 2 foot wide crack has developed and the Center Bar sank. Sounds like a mess, we will check it out with the bombardier tomorrow.

We are still split on which direction to head do we go out or in, we should know more in a couple of days. What's been working best the last couple of days is the brown bottle.