• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS on ice

Question

Using a GPS unit for ice fishing can really make your fishing more productive. New units are being produced that make marking points of reference easier than ever. The Magellan 315 and Garmin Etrex are two good examples, both are 12 channel units that are compact and really user friendly. Both units retail for under $150. And can pay for themselves the first time you can find your way back to that honey hole or the way home during fog or a whiteout.

Rob

9 answers to this question

Rob, I agree that GPS units are very useful. I have an Eagle Eagle Explorer and have used it for couple of years.

Are their any tricks to make them more accurate?

I've tested my unit. It's accurate to within 10' on the same day, but can be a 100' or so off the mark a few days later.

The accuracy of any GPS unit is factored more by SA (selective availibility) than by the unit itself. Since the Govt. operates the system the have error signals randomly emmited in the signal. This will change the reading of your unit constantly. And there is not much we can do about it. Some units have what is called averaging, but the unit has to be stationary for a long time for this to be real efficient. If you want to see just how much SA changes your position, use the plotter screen on .01 scale. Put it (the unit) in a fixed position, after some time the screen will look like a deformed flower that is the result of SA. There is some talk of SA being turned off in a few years. But until then we get to live with our "close" accuracy.
Rob

Rob, I have a Garmin 45 and ever since the August roll over it won't pick up the satalites. I turns on and will pick up 2 to4 then just sits there or will alarm out as to low sat coverage. Acording to Garmin it should be fine. Do you know if there is a problem with them or do I need a new one?

Benny
On some of the older 45's they needed to be reset after the Aug. roll over. Try holding the PAGE button in and pressing the POWER. Doing this resets the unit. It may take a while after this to locate itself, because it needs to do initialization. Hope this helps.
Rob

Benny,
I think re-initializing may cause you to lose your waypoints. If you have any hot ones you want to keep, write 'em down before you reset your unit.

Thanks for the tips, I have a jurnal that I write all info from the gps into.I reread the web page for Garmin and found where it said to do just as you said. I will try it this weekend. Good fishing, Benny

Rob, a friend of mine ,Jay G, was in the store over the week and bought a megelen gps. He said that you talked him into it over the garmin. Is the antena position on the garmin really that differant? Will the megelen pick out the satalites better in the deep woods? And last, are the megelens better on battery life? Thanks for the info preveously, the 45 works great now. We found migit flat in the fog a few weeks ago.Thanks again, Benny

Benny,
The antenna on the Magellan 315 is a omni-directional antenna. Meaning it looks "receives" in all directions at once. The Garmin 12 uses a patch style antenna that can only receive in one direction with good result. In heavy cover the antenna that can recieve more can lock on better to marginal signals. For battery life the both units is approx 12 hours. Only the Magellan does it on 2 batteries, vs the Garmin at 4.
Glad to hear your 45 works for you.
Rob

Thanks Rob, the people from Garmin at the sportsshow last weekend did not tell me there was a differant type of antenna in thier units. They didn't cut magellen down but said thiers was just as good.I am going to wait and see how Jay G. likes his, then I will buy a new one.Thanks for the help, Benny

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.