• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Pepin Fishing Reports & Conditions

there are no roads, people do fish the lake though. it can be a very dangerouse lake to venture out on due to current, i myself fell through last year over 20+ FOW. i have fished the lake for about 9 years now and usually target the points from "no point" down to lake city. i catch walleyes saugers crappies and rough fish but for the most park people are targeting and catching saugers. just be careful if you do head out. this years ice should be better than past years due to low flow, good luck

Drew E

Yikes fell thru...glad you all good. Howd you get out of that one?

well i kinda rolled out onto the ice and got realy realy lucky!! we were on our way off the ice on the same trail we walked in on when i fell through, scared the [PoorWordUsage] outa me!

i posted this in response on the pool 4 side, just added it here incase there was anybody else curious that missed it there.

there are no roads, people do fish the lake though. it can be a very dangerouse lake to venture out on due to current, i myself fell through last year over 20+ FOW. i have fished the lake for about 9 years now and usually target the points from "no point" down to lake city. i catch walleyes saugers crappies and rough fish but for the most park people are targeting and catching saugers. just be careful if you do head out. this years ice should be better than past years due to low flow, good luck

Drew E

Drew,

Is ther walkable ice on areas that I would want to fish on Pepin right now? I am thinking about sneaking down there this week if there is.

Thanks,

There might be I have been fishing south of there and taking a different way back. I would imagine there is some walkable ice by now but bet there is also open water. Has anyone been through Lake City and seen anyone fishing?

The bite down in the backwaters has been spotty. Nothing really standing out as a banner year yet for me. Still waiting on more ice so we can get back to the better areas.

mw

Mike/All - reporting from L. City & the shore of L. Pepin... No pedestrian traffic noted on the lake thus far, other than a few people in the marinas. Looking out from my parents place, the ice looks pretty sketchy. I would not bank on L. Pepin ice this week.

I thought about checking the thickness on Christmas, but so far this week has been in the 40's and it rained last night. Since then the ice on pepin is pretty much gone and what is left is not safe enough for ducks to walk on.

The Lake ice still doesn't look good, the wind over the last few days has opened the center channel back up. I haven't been down to Wabasha in the last week so I'm not sure what the back water ice is like down there.

I was down by Wabasha the last couple days and the backwaters have roughly 4" on them. Quite a few guys out chasing pans and pike.

There is no ice on Pepin as of 10 AM on 1/2/12. It started to form but the winds have blown anything that was there, down river. It was completely open down to Roschen Park boatramp. That was early in the day so it could be open even farther down now. Strange to see white caps pushing the slush farther down stream. Will be awhile before there is any fishable ice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Haven't been down der fishing yet, but plan on comin down der on Friday......Just wonderin if any ice on Frontenac Beach or Maiden Rock area or if they are gettin any fish der.....Also if that doesn't work might tink of some der pannies on Fingers Lake or West Newton.......Wonderin if they gettin anyting down der?

Thanks in advance and take care!!

WoodChucker

Just curious how much ice is on the Lake by Maiden Rock thinking about heading out today, anyone getting anything there?

Thanks,

Derek

Yes, I made it out there on Saturday evening went out from Maiden Rock there were guys driving trucks out there my buddy and I used his wheeler to get out there where we were fishing there was only about 6-7 inches of ice it was good ice but not much of it and the fishing was not very good at all we were in 15 feet of water and I threw my tackle box at them and not one fish in about 6 hours or so marked a few but that was it. It was a very slow night.

Derek

Are there any updates on the ice on Lake Pepin? I have been waiting to go ice fishing on Lake Pepin for walleye all year, and now that possibility is in question.

Fished out of Maiden Rock Today 02/05. Drove 4 wheelers quite a ways out on our way to Methodist, walked about 600 yds after parking 4 wheelers. Talked with a couple of guys on our way back to the 4 wheelers. One was fishing on 5" of ice his buddy was fishing on 3" of ice. We had 8" where we fished. I could tell the ice was thin in areas that why we decided to park and walk. Traveling is, and is going to become more dangerous. Use caution. Just because you see someone driving to a spot does not mean they know what they are doing. Please be careful out there and use good judgment.

Droptine300.

I first posted this in pool 4 but think it fits better here: thanks

anybody been on lake Pepin? I am going out tomorrow with a buddy who occasionally fishes it. I never have ice fished the river. Avid ice fisherman on lakes but never on river/pepin.

Any tips or info I should know, any sort of good tackle, thanks

Smaller jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head and plain hook/fathead is all you need! Ice is in good shape out on Pepin as well.

I agree with what OleWalter wrote - that's what worked for me last weekend. Friends got fish on jiggin raps too. Set lines also worked to pick up a few fish

I'm going to disagree with olewalter. Lake Pepin has a river flowing through it. It also has a nuclear power plant that releases warm water into the river. I ice fish this water a lot. I was fishing a couple years ago in my shack. Had two holes drilled 3 feet apart. One had 12" of ice the other 8" of ice. Two days later a truck goes through the ice near this spot. If you are going to fish Pepin you need to know what you are doing. Don't listen to other people that tell you the ice is good. I gave warning on a couple other threads on this site last Sunday about worsening ice conditions. I heard today that a 4 wheeler went through. Don't be surprised that if tomorrow (2/11) there is open water in spots or spots with less than 2" of ice. Please be careful out there. If you don't know this water or know how to check for good ice then go with someone who does. Good luck to everyone and tight lines.

Droptine300

We were fishing out of Frontenac, where vehicles are NOT allowed out onto the ice. The ice is in good WALKING conditions.

I wanted to give another update on some of the ice conditions. I viewed the lake on 2/11 from a distance. There is open water on the Minnesota side along point no Point. After visiting with some fishermen and fishing myself there has been a lot of increased current flow in this area which means current is increasing in the path of least resistance throughout the lake. One fisherman reported that when he started fishing he had 8" of ice in his hole. When he left he had 5". Be ware that conditions can change very fast. You should be checking and testing the ice during your travel to and from your fishing spots. What might be good drivable or walkable ice on your way in may not be on your way out. Again don't believe others when they tell you ice is good. People should not make this kind of post (in my opinion). You must make wise judgments for yourself or have an experienced person (people) with you. I wish you all good luck, be careful, and tight lines.

Droptine300

I am planning a trip up there (originally from the area) would like to get on the ice at Frontenac Friday 2/17; is the ice going to be WALKABLE? I know that is something no one can truly answer, but any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, has anyone been doing any good in that area? Is it better in the early morning or at dusk? Any help would be appreciated!!

Welcome to HSO Iowa. I'd be careful walking out, there are pics on IDO of open water in the middle of the ice there. I think they were taken on Sunday, and it hasn't been very cold since. I think the fishing has been decent though. Morning bite from what I hear.

Iowa the lake will be fine just stay south of the point. there is still a good 10 inches south of the point and straight out from the old frontenac landing. the open water in the picture is on top of the point where it opens up every year. the ice above the point is okay but not good. there are still allot of people traveling up but lots of reports of 2 inches in places so if you go i would stay south. good luck.

Drew

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

Does anyone know if there is any open water on lake pepin ? I'm looking for some shore or kayak fishing opportunities.

Steve

Prescott and south is wide open and the croix won't be far behind. the current was pretty slow compared to other years.