• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Lida Ice/Fishing Reports

Not as of Sunday. Hoping for a plowed road to there and clay point. If it gets done, hoping guys will all give plow Guy some cash for his efforts!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gillhunter2

• spinnerboy

• icefishingdude

• Reno

Heading out this afternoon. Will give update on conditions! Hope guys have houses blocked up.

Heading up to Lida and surrounding smaller lakes this weekend. I have heard that there is a lot of slush/water on the ice. Will this cold weather help out and freeze this up? My relatives have a house on Lida that I will be using. Is it worth the trip up from the cities or should I wait til the conditions get better?

Too much snow to freeze it up. Will take a couple weeks. Mobility is with snowmobile or 4 wheel drive only.,

Has anyone seen tracks going out at Erve's landing, the one on S. Lida between North and South Lida. Just wondering if any pickups are going out yet, I didn't want to be the first when I was by myself last time.

thank you!! driving from breckenridge with a minivan i could hoof it, but probably not the 4 and 6 year old thanks again for the road report

brother in-law were out on monday on the South side of the village. we had shinners and crappie minows. Watched the same northern circle the wagons for a solid 40 min. finally about 4pm saw some walleye come in. They wanted nothing to do with any lure we put down. We tried everything from a plain hook to a darter. they come in to look but wont take the bite. we ended the night with one eye and one nice crappie.

Very Nice road plowed out to the main group off the north access. I read elsewhere that it was some guys from Fargo that did it...anyway, I'd say the rest of the lake looks fairly rough for travel, however with some momentum I suppose a good 4x4 would make it around. There is a rough trail out to the point, so that would be ok to get to by truck. Fishing was pretty horrible. One crappie. Lots of lookers, tried everything, but no takers. I might be done with Lida for awhile.

Was on Lida today in the am, did very well on crappies, and some very very nice sunnies...North access road is plowed (appreciate it very much to whoever did it), some flooding..waxworms were the ticket..nothing wanted minnows..also to my surprise caught some ciscos...fun to catch, released cause I do not know how to smoke em...

You have a smoker????

I smoke tullibees caught during the winter.Just fillet them out like any other fish,but leave the skin on.Brine overnight in a solution of 1/4 C salt with 1 Qt water.Set smoker to 200-225 degrees.Put in enough wood to smoke for 1 hour.Leave them in another 2 hours or so or until done to how you like them....easy.

Crappie action steady the last week but becoming concerned with lack of small crappies. Almost all fish caught between 11.5 and 13.5 inches. Numbers not grgood but wondering if anyone else catching many under slot? Reproduction been good? Love the size but concerned about future.

If you want some for reproduction then maybe some people should let some go for reproduction like them 13+ inchers. I have heard of a lot of people keeping them out there is just why i say that. I dont mean to offend anyone.

Not offended. Applaud. Most people don't think along those lines. Doesn't take a limit to make a nice meal. Keep 5 or 6 and throw the rest back. 5 or 6 will feed a family and then some.

Just got off Lida about 40 minutes ago. A lot of lookers and no takers. There is quite a bit of snow and it is pretty hard. The plowed road to the crappie village has a spot about half way between the access and shanty town that is about 40 yards long with about 8 inches of water on the ice. We went through it before light but on the way back had to find an alternate route. We probably would have made it but found a way around. Guys were starting to park and walk the rest of the way b/c of the water.

Not offended. Applaud. Most people don't think along those lines. Doesn't take a limit to make a nice meal. Keep 5 or 6 and throw the rest back. 5 or 6 will feed a family and then some.

I think the way you think. Teach them and they will understand. Iida has some very nice crappies and love fishing there in the spring time.

Sniffer

If you want some for reproduction then maybe some people should let some go for reproduction like them 13+ inchers. I have heard of a lot of people keeping them out there is just why i say that. I dont mean to offend anyone.

Second that.

On a side note, why do they set slots that allow people to only keep larger crappies, but also slot it to only allow anglers to keep smaller walleyes? I understand that the larger walleyes contribute far more for reproduction, but why does this same strategy not apply to the crappie population? Will this not cause stunting of the crappie sizes much like it is doing with the sunfish population?

Seems backwards to me. Why not let all those 11"+ go and let them reproduce and let a guy take home a few 10 inchers?

Where am I mistaken here?

Minimum size on crappies usually put in place due to excessive fishing pressure. Crappies grow faster than a lot of fish so easier to get to larger size quickly. This is what has been explained to me. Sure others will have more knowledge

Bite very good tonight. Kept 6 and caught many others. Only 1 under slot again.

I think they should drop the limit on them to kep some of the southeners from over fishing it.

When you say "southeners", are you referring to people that live in the metro? If so, I take offense to that. I grew up in northern MN and now live in the metro. Just because I live in the cities doesn't mean I will keep everything that comes up the hole regardless of size. It has absolutely nothing to do with where you live but more so with what your understanding is of how fish populations continue to survive and grow. I release way more fish than I keep and I am sure that I am not alone. I am not going to vouch for any other city slickers but I would guess that a good percentage of us consider that every time we pull a fish up because we have to if we want to continue fishing. There are easily 10 times more people fishing a lake down here at any given time then in outstate MN. If no one considered size and limits, we would have no decent lakes down here. There are some lakes that have been messed up because of overfishing but we still have many good ones as well.

Not trying to start anything, just debunking a misguided stereotype.

If you are referring to people from the southern US and not the metro, then disregard my response, although I am not sure how that would make any sense either.

Fish on!

Sorry didnt mean to offend any one. I was talking with several local guys on the lake that see the same guys from around the St Cloud are that are there 4 to 5 times a week taking out fish. Just what I heard no proof or any thing.

Once again I apolagize for what sounded like a stereotype.

Heading out tomorrow mid morning, any uptodate reports on ice conditions, understand there was some flooding on the road from the north access. Thanks in advance for conditions.

Steve

Be careful where you travel if not on a snowmobile. Went fishing today, but instead just worked at getting unstuck. I was going along good and broke through the top layer of ice and was stuck. On top of the bottom ice was 6" of water, then 3-4" of ice and on top of that 8" of snow. All four tires broke through at once so there was that layer of ice trapping me from moving. Thanks to the fellow who gave me a hand today, and all you other guys who help a fellow fisherman when he's down. For anyone who is thinking of trying Erve's landing on S. Lida good luck its tough.

Thanks for the headsup Jeff, you just never know what you're driving over. Glad everything turned out ok

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]