• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Lida Ice/Fishing Reports

Well, Lida is certainly one of my wintertime favorites, as it is for many. What does the ice look like out on Lida currently? I would like to hit it on Sunday if at all possible. Any action? Thanks for the Reports.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gillhunter2

• spinnerboy

• icefishingdude

• Reno

I have not been out on the ice there yet, but I did drive by on Monday and there were a good number of full size trucks out from the access.

"What I don't like about the 17" slot is it is too hard to tell if they are just under or just over when you spear 'em." My cousin talking to the game warden yesterday.

I heard the crappies were biting early, when you had to walk on. Lately, the northerns have been active. Mostly on the small side, but I've heard of a couple of ten pounders being pulled up.

I still haven't gotten the ice fishing gear ready yet.

Goodluck once you get out Cicada. Catch yourself a good Christmas present. Hope the holidays are good for you and the family.

My house has 11.5in on one end and 14in on the other. 16ft house. Full size trucks are everywhere on the lake. It was a zoo yesterday and I was smack dab in the middle of it!

Thank you all for the reports. I hit Lida on Sunday. The ice seemed to be in very good shape. I don't think I found less than 12 inches anywhere, with most being in the 14 inch range. The fishing was O.K. Caught a 32 inch nothern on the ultralight, and our group caught 5 slabs and a nice bluegill. The big buddy heater quit working right after dark forcing us to pack up early. Was a beautiful day to be on the ice.

crappie action has been steady since last fri. Friends have been in my house 5 of the last 7 days with all doing well. Good luck to all and merry x-mas! I will be on the way to get back in the action this afternoon.

how are the driving conditions after this last bit of snow? When we were out last weekend cars could go anywhere on the lake.

Was it hit very hard, and has it been plowed?

Thanks! Dan.

Just returned home from lida. Crappies cooperated for me again. It appeared to me that you can drive anywhere,may need 4x4,on the lake. I followed the trail and all was good. Didnt see any flooding on the trail or in the village of houses. Lots of people were fishing today and really packed the trail down.

thanks for the update spinner. thinking about going out to Lida Mon-Tues. If you want and are able to go let me know or send me a PM.

Finally got out for the first time this winter. Went to Lida Christmas morning. Fished out of our distant cousin's house. Got a couple of northerns, which my brother kept for a pickle jar. Talked to a guy I used to play softball with in Pelican and he and two other guys had 10-12 bluegills when we left. The trail out to the piles of houses was pretty well packed down, although I don't think I'd get off the roads with my two wheel drive.

WOW Lida is packed with houses. I have my perm out there and a guy literally put his house 9 paces away form my house. Its aprox 27 feet away form mine. CRAZY. I mean i know I am usually on the hot spot (hahaha) but give me a break. If he gets a northern on in his house he might tangle my lines. Come on show a little respect even when in a community spot. I can barely fit my car through the houses. Noonan

Yup, a lot of houses out there this year. Even South Lida has more houses than previous years. Took the sled a portable for a spin and finally found the Waldos...in 12FOW...who would have thunk it.

Dan189,thanks for the offer but wont make it back untill fri afternoon. Sat im heading to upper red lake for a couple days MNFAN. More and more people and houses keep expanding the village. Fished with dad and bro this eve and caught some slabs for the smoker! Game warden stopped by and visited us,said we were doing well. Nice guy. The trail on the lake is like a highway,no problems getting around. Good luck to all!

Yeah, I saw that pack of houses too....is anybody actually catching fish there or are people just grouping up because they think the other guy knows something he doesn't...we've fished in/around that cluster 3 times now and all we've managed is a few perch, a smallmouth bass and some northerns...maybe its a time of day thing???

Yeah, I saw that pack of houses too....is anybody actually catching fish there or are people just grouping up because they think the other guy knows something he doesn't...we've fished in/around that cluster 3 times now and all we've managed is a few perch, a smallmouth bass and some northerns...maybe its a time of day thing???

Great question. You're referencing the 18 FOW large flat about three-quarters a mile SW of the access. There are 30-40 perms out there. I fished all over the south side of the flat for the second time in 8 days, first time there was nothing but small perch and northerns during the day, and the 11-13 crappies rolled in at dusk. Five of us marked fish consistently but they were very lethargic, and you definetly had to work for the catch.

This evening I fished on the edge of the pack in 16 FOW, tried to respect the perms as over half were occupied. The bite was similar to last weekend, marking plenty of crappies suspended 5-7', but they were even more finicky. I didn't talk to anyone else, but the majority of the people left early and I don't think it was because limits were reached.

I'm usually against pack fishing, and the last two visits only re-enforeced that sentiment. For the guys with perms on the flat, goodluck and for the time being you have one less portable near you.

The lake is big and I'll likely try other areas, if the roads remain navigable.

Wow, great reply Dan189....and thanks for the report as well. I think I'm gonna fish Lida this afternoon and evening and will post a report when I get back....

Planning to take my kid out tommarow for my first and maybe last time out for the winter before I head out Sat morning back to work down south. Can any one give me a idea of depth and bait of choice to try for a little action. Any fish will do for the boy. Thanks in advance.

Any certain hook color?

Haven't been out much myself and it was really nothing to brag about. From the public access, head southwest to the big pile of houses. This is a well known community hole. Set up in 20 feet of water or so and you can expect anything that swims to be the next bite. Northerns, bass, bluegills, and tiny perch during the day and walleyes and crappies twoards evening. We always keep a big minnow down for a bruiser during the day and jig something small with a wax worm for the gills and perch. Towards evening we convert to crappie minnows and a medium shiner for walleyes. All that being said, it has been a little slow out there. If you don't get a better suggestion, it can be still worth trying. Of course, I always jig a cicada tipped with some meat.

Red.

You should be able to find some gills in that area, just need to look for them. If you find them the crappies will be around during the day as well. Those crappies that come in at dusk are coming out of the remaining weedlines surrounding that big 20' hole, find the weeds and drill lot's of holes to hole hop and you'll get some slabs.

Can't wait til I get there on the 10th for a couple days of fishing before heading to Canada for some Greenback hunting grin

Thanks Peter, I think that is the same area as I caught some of those gills last year. But have not been there since then. Good luck on your trip for the greens

Dropped some line just to the southwest of the "village" and it was pretty slow...caught a northern in the first 20 mins and only a small sunnie after that. Fished from 3pm - 830pm and left when the enduro started up. Did anyone else see/here those kids goin' full throttle on their sleds/wheelers...spinning donuts.....yup, had 1st row seats....25 feet away....

Fished S. Lida the last few days. Walleye fishing was slow for me, moved the house around a bit. Finally ended up near the old ski slope hill. I got skunked there, but the kids begged me to try it there one more day so they can get some more sledding in. Seems like I'm catching more snot rockets than normal.

Fished lida this eve and it was slow! The crappie bite has been slowing down this past week. 5 keepers tonite and 6 on wed. Lots of snow and 4 wheel drive is a must. Couple good trails on the lake going to the village and clay point.