• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ely - Babbitt Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions Too.

Sweet! I will probably be up this Sunday and try it out. If all else fails I at least can get some grouse hunting done and get some ciscos.

There may be some safe ice on the smaller lakes by Sunday. Be safe out there and check ice often. I'm guessing there will be some inconsistent ice out there.

I think the ice would probably be fine now on the lakes I wanted to hit up but I decided that I wasn't really looking forward to driving up during the storm. Kinda a bummer but I am over driving in that stuff to fish lol.

Maybe next weekend.

Good luck to anyone that gets out there. Today before the storm would be awesome I'm sure!

Give the lakes until December 14th or 15th before taking a chance.

Although the weather was warmer, three college students broke through the ice by the Shagawa wind sock last Sunday.

Be careful!

I have been carefully fishing since Nov. 29. Yesterday the lake I was on had close to 6 inches of perfect ice. Saturday we were on a lake with 5+ inches. Just remember to keep checking ice, just because there may be 5 or 6 inches at the landing doesn't mean that there will be that much anywhere else... Be Safe!!!

fished shags this evening. found 6.5in of clear black ice. walleye were biting but they were all pretty small. sleds and quads were out.

I was out there tonight too, 7 walleyes not worth cutting up... Same thing last time out there too. I did pick up a nice pike on my chubby darter though. Is that a recently caught eyeball for your avatar mike???? Dang she's big.

That fish in my avatar is from last week on the Red River north of Winnipeg in Manitoba. It was 25.5in with a big girth. It was at least 7lbs. There are some true pigs in that system.

Glad to hear there is some decent ice to be had. Lots of really nice fish in Shag but you got to get away from the crowds there to really get into them. Right now is prime time!

took the sled out and fished shags for most of the day. took a while but managed to find some active fish towards the end of the day. 22fow. reelbait tackles 1/4oz plane jane.

found 6-7in of clear black ice in 5 different spots around the lake.

photo1_zpsf7af6ada.jpg

Nice eater size walleye hope to get out after some of them myself this weekend. Heading to tower end of the big v. Also wondering what's going at b side I'm getting that laker itch just wanted to know if this goofy weather is hurting or helping working the opener hoping to be out there second weekend

i havent been to burntside yet this season. great outdoors might have an answer for you.

i was thinking about going and checking it out sometime this week.

Thanks for the response I'm sure as we get closer to trout opener we will find out all we need to know hope to see u and others from the bash out there this year

i havent been to burntside yet this season. great outdoors might have an answer for you.

i was thinking about going and checking it out sometime this week.

I'm going to check the ice on Burntside later this week, will let you know what I find.

The lake has been completely frozen over for at least a week, so would expect to have a good 4 inches now.

Not yet.

If I don't pick up any minnows tomorrow, I'm waiting until next Wednesday.

These cold weather reports are coming up short and the ice isn't getting as thick as I'd like it to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished the Ely area over Christmas and found 10-11 inches of ice on one of the Eagles Nest lakes. Water was clear and had to haul some spearers from Biwabik off the ice as their ATV would not start. A very cold haul across the lake it was. Eyes at dark with glow white and 30 fow.

Trout opener was a great day yesterday, a couple of us took a nice long walk looking for lakers and ended up with a couple nice ones from BWCAW waters. 28" and 27"

full-39199-28251-1229021144a.jpg

Trout opener was a great day yesterday, a couple of us took a nice long walk looking for lakers and ended up with a couple nice ones from BWCAW waters. 28" and 27"

full-39199-28251-1229021144a.jpg

Great opener and very nice fish!

Cliff

Nice Catch! I've got a cabin up the Fernberg..and have been meaning to get up there to do a little BWCA fishing here soon! Jealous!

Was out on Burntside yesterday. Most areas had 12in of ice. Heard there are some areas with 10in. There were a few truck tracks out there.

Yeah Mike, the ice on Burntside is about 11-13 inches in most areas. Don't think I'd take a full size vehicle out this weekend just to be safe, with the warm 30 degree+ weather coming the next 3-4 days.

The 2nd weekend should be safe for full size vehicles with the -15 to

-30 below predictions coming about Tuesday/Wednesday thru Friday.

PS: Make that -24 for a high to -40 degrees for a low the 2nd weekend, and continuing into the next week.