• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ely - Babbitt Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions Too.

Hey, you probably know this, or your friend does ... but Canisteo is notorious for having questionable ice. In the local paper on Sunday the DNR posted a warning about this lake ... and I know from experience that some areas can catch you off-guard - particularly just at the public landing. Hopefully your friend has been out and has found the ice good. And this recent cold snap should help ... we have very little snow cover. Regardless, be careful and best of luck with the lakers!

Yes we are aware yop, but thank you for the concern. Another friend of ours was out and said there is only 3-6". We didn't go out there. I also heard that Sherry's Arm of Pokegama had open water still!! It seams crazy, I grew up in GR and don't remember a year with such spotty ice. Be careful everyone!

• 3 months later...

Hey all -

I am fishing Birch (near Babbit) in a couple of weeks. I have fished the lake a lot in the past, but not for 5 years or so. I've had good results for walleyes on the lake.

Anyone fish the lake regularly? I would be happy to share some of my spots if you do the same.

I am taking my son up for a couple of days of fishing the week after opener. I have never been on the lake so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a safe opener!

Is there a slot on Birch? Or is it 6 fish with one over 20in. Is there a minimum size limit?

thanks

Your not allowed to too keep more than one 20" and over on any lake.. 15" and under goes back in the water

Your not allowed to too keep more than one 20" and over on any lake.. 15" and under goes back in the water

Returning walleyes 15" and under is a personal choice, not required by law.

Any walleye under 20" on Birch is legal to keep. 6 fish limit there.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, I have asked several people and no one could give me a straight answer. Thats what I was looking for. Good luck this weekend.

See you on the water!

This time of year, I have had luck in the past looking for areas of stronger current on Birch. I have also had luck casting crankbaits shallow - believe it or not.

I have normally fished more on the side of the lake near the campground. Was thinking about trying the Babbitt end this year - seems like some good structure. Would love to hear anyone else's strategies for Birch - it is a great lake.

I'll be there tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do. Wasted my time on Boulder down by Duluth today. It was a pike fest.

See you on the water.

A good day on Birch minus the winds. Fished areas that were not getting pounded by wind but had some nice walleye chop. Ended up with 7 walleye, 2 jumbos, 1 nice crappie and 4 pike, one 32 in. Caught fish vertical jiggin down the break, lindy riggin with chubs and trolling shad raps. Found most of the fish in 15-20ft. of water. A fun day on the water!

Water temp 56.

See you on the water!

Thanks for the update tjo. I'll be out for a few days later this week and will post how we did.

Sort of surprised you caught most of the fish that deep. I am going to try shallow too to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Was out from the 18th to the 22nd. Struggled catching walleyes the first two days. Were fishing shallow (8 ft and less) and caught a lot of small pike. More than I remembered from last time. But we also caught a 17 and 18 inch smallmouth. And a 22 and 19 inch walleye.

After that we changed our tactics and fished a bit deeper. 12 ft was the honey spot when it was cloudy. A bit deeper with the sun out (never over 20 ft). Caught lots of walleyes - small males - up to about 16 inches. Great eaters and lots of action. The wind didn't seem to make a difference and we caught them right in the middle of the day - no need to wake up early! Water temps were in low 60s. The best spots seemed to be adjacent to deeper water. Used bright colored jigs and fatheads - rainbows were too expensive! Good fishing.

• 4 weeks later...

Any recent report on Birch? Doing the annual Houseboat trip out of Timberbay this Thursday-Sunday and wondering what the fish are doing and what's working.

I will be there this weekend, all I know from this last week is that there was a big mayfly hatch going.

Any reports from Birch? Coming up tonight and will be on the water all day tomorrow. Will be in the white lund tyee I/O, say hi.

Any reports from Birch? Coming up tonight and will be on the water all day tomorrow. Will be in the white lund tyee I/O, say hi.

WollMan,any luck? I will be on Birch with my wife and kids along with another family from friday the 29th to the 4th. How is the water level with all the rain? and how has this affected the bite? any eye's or smallies?

Thanks,

Water is really high for this time of the year, I would guess it is at least a foot higher than normal. Did not affect the bite. Caught walleyes pretty much all day in different areas and with different presentations. Crawlers were #1 though with the end of the bug hatch. Couple pike, no smallies.

thanks for the info! hey, do any of you guys in the area use slow death hooks with crawler rig? i have been using them lately in southern MN and they have been a killer on the eyes, and few nice bonus pike mixed in.

I was on Birch 3 weeks ago and had good luck all day with a jig and minnow in 8-12 FOW. didnt try the crawlers then due to good action on fatheads though.

Thanks again

Yeah slow death works as well, i didnt try it saturday b/c they were hitting harnesses

Headed to Birch for the first time on the 4th for a few days. We are staying at the National Forest Campground. Looking for recommendations. Walleyes / Crappies, baits.

Thanks in advance,

SJB

I would start on points and islands that have the wind blowing in. Shallow to deep (6-20') rigging leaches and crawlers until you can put a pattern together.

• 2 weeks later...

I am heading up to Ely on Sunday, with the wife and kids for a week. We will be staying on Shagawa. I am wondering how the fishing is? Water temps good for swimming? Also can I do a self trip into basswood for a day trip in a canoe? Looks like I can put in at Fall Lake Portage to Newton and then portage to Pipestone Bay? Is this doable or to far for a day trip? Thanks for any and all info you have.

Fishing has been good for the last week and water temps are definitely swimmable! You could get up to the south half of Pipestone easily in a day trip. Make sure you fill out the mandatory, but free, self-issued permit at the landing before you take off.

gurkster,

I was on Big Lake Sunday which is up the Echo trail and a little northwest of Shagawa and the water temp was 80 and felt great when I went swimming. I haven't heard any fishing reports for Shagawa but the fishing in general has been real good for the area.

Went to Birch for a long weekend from the jun 29- july 3rd. fishing was SLOW for us. One morning we got 6 nice 15-17". Other then that we caught a few pike, and my daughter caught her first walleye a 29.5" 9.5lb fatty that looked like it ate a football! sorry no pics loaded yet.

I am also looking for a little info. I will be up on the 28-29. Anyone want share a couple spots I could try for good perch, sunny or rock bass action? not looking for any size, I have a 3 1/2 yr old that I need to keep occupied and catch some "shishies". He doesnt exactly have much patience.

Thanks!

Anyone have any map info on where the back country campsites are on Birch? Narwhal I wish I could help, first time to birch coming up for me. Anyone have some fishing tips or a report?