• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

I saw 2 140 class holding both side in the metro last Saturday. They were with a shed buck. This snow is burying everything right now though. If anyone finds one, post a pic. My guess is it will be one tine sticking up an inch.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonkaBass

• lungdeflator

• matchset

• WalleyeChamp

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only one I've found

Posted Images

dad and i went out to pull some stands today... spent a couple hours in the deep snow looking for sheds!

pops found this nice (young) 5pt side!

IMG_0437-3.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Thanks to everyone for showing and telling. Sure am getting pumped to get out more...if only the dang snow would quit! Only thing I find good about the snow is that it makes some of my lazy competition quit early or slows them down!!

I was hitting a spot today and came up with one nice 4 point side. smile I have been pretty lazy on getting out lately... This was my 1st walk since I found the nice one on the 3rd, but #7 is now in the bag so hopefully I will get back on track now! 6 left sides and only one right, so I know some areas that should have a half dozen antlers at least on the ground!

Cedarrapids1-22-11003.jpg

A friend of mine has got 6 so far this year, 2 on our hunt today. Thought I'd share some of his.

Smallest so far found today 4 inches

cid__0122111318.jpg

11.5 inch G2

cid__downsized950109111150.jpg

Nice set found 30 yds apart

cid__downsized950117111656.jpg

He found #6 today as we were leaving our shed hunting spot he saw it laying along the road in plain sight in a field road opening. Amazing nobody picked it up as it had to have been there all day I would think as it was getting dark when we left.

Here-Kitty-Kitty

That cow will look cool on the hood of your truck!

Nope it will look cool on his VW lol

lungdeflator

Great finds everybody! Finding a shed in the snow was one of my goals this year but I dont think its going to happen

Finally got another chance to get out and look for more antlers this past friday and also today. Last friday walked some standing corn and found a 5pt side buried deep in the snow. Today i walked three different places must have put on 3 miles or more. Finally on the last spot I spotted a deer leg sticking out of the snow went over to investigate and after about 10-15 minutes of diggin in the snow I spotted a nose and took a step back and I stepped right on its antler. It was a basket 8pt. Having best year to date even with the snow being knee to thigh high in most spots.

LOTWSvirgin

Not to bad of a day for only walking for a couple hours after work. All found on public up to five this year

IMG00052-20110125-1631.jpg

IMG00053-20110125-1640.jpg

And what is this??? Looks cool must be a good one!!

IMG00054-20110125-1742.jpg

Its a match laying on top of each other!!!

IMG00055-20110125-1743.jpg

lungdeflator

No they shed before the last big snow, I got pics around christmas of 4-5 bucks without antlers and i wont find them til snow melt! Nice finds LOTWS!

jigginjim

I was watching a deer hunting show, the guy had shot a really nice buck. While he was showing off the rack from different angles, both of the antlers came off at the same time. It would been a 160-170 class buck, how its just sheds. cry

Walked for 2 miles yesterday on some public in Iowa. Snow was shin to knee deep. Only found a dead doe and dead button buck..... Oh ya and a live possum in a corn field. We are suppose to get another 4-7 inches of snow not good for looking for antlers.

My son and I walked for about 2 hours in the metro on Saturday, no luck. I know a big set is going to be out there some where (standing at a feeder late last month), now we have to find it!

Way to go lotws! I got a couple last weekend, but haven't been able to get out this week and can't get out this weekend or nest week either frown I hope the big boy I saw holds til I have a chance at him!

lungdeflator

Went for 3 hours between classes today in a nice cedar swamp. lots of sign but no antlers. I think at this point any time spent in the woods is basically scouting for sheds

PostFrontal

I haven't been down to our property since hunting season, and am thinking about coming down there this weekend for a walk out in the fields and woods with the warmer weather.

How deep is the snow in the Rochester area? Would I need showshoes, or could I get by without them?

Has anyone had any luck finding racks in that area or are they buried?

Thank you for your help!

The areas I walked briefly near Roch were pretty miserable. I could walk right on top for 10 steps, then would cave in and be mid thigh. I only went an hour or so and bailed out with no luck. I recommend snow shoes if you plan to leave the trails at all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• TrueNorth
      Global warming. 
    • JerkinLips
      The harbor in Tower is frozen over.  Pike Bay has a little skim ice along some shores.  Big Bay was 48F yesterday.  I am worried about my boat and unheated trailer in Soudan so I am heading up Wednesday and will report on lake conditions by Thursday.  Only have small electric heaters in the trailer so it will be cold until I get a new LP tank installed on Friday.
    • Troy Smutka
      This season got off to a slow start after my son got his first ever bird on his first youth opener. Parker's first shot at a duck or goose got him a ten pound Canada goose. Early regular season netted a few bluewing teal, wood ducks, and a mallard, but we weren't seeing as many birds in central MN as we usually do early in the season. With the cold fronts and even some snow lately, things have picked up with us decoying mallards, pintails, greenwing teal, shovelers, canvasbacks, ringnecks, redheads, and bluebills. Worried about an early freeze up with the current weather and forecasted weather, but we shall see. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • SkunkedAgain
      That's good to hear now, it's this week of pretty much below-freezing weather that has me concerned for the shallow bay! Thanks for the reports everyone.   I saw an article about a dumb BWCA camper from Indiana who nearly froze. The rescuers had to bust ice to reach him during the rescue. This forecast looks bad if we get skim ice before 7 inches of snow on Thursday!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's fall in Minnesota.  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  That is the theme with good fall fishing this past week.  The colder weather has walleyes snapping.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 15' - 23' of water.  Structure, areas of the lake adjacent rivers / streams and areas in front of bays holding good numbers of fish.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits continues to catch anglers a mixed bag. On the Rainy River...   Some commenting this is one of the best runs of emerald shiners up the river in years.  The river is still low, current slow.  More and more walleyes are coming into the river each day.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  The fish are moving often, try different current seams, flats or holes until you find them.   When you find them, action can be fast.  Don't be afraid to pull crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out and you can cover water.  Four Mile Bay holding walleyes in 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Nice smallmouth bass being caught by walleye anglers. Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.   A nice walleye bite this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points. 
    • CigarGuy
      Your neighbor Chad pulled his boat out Sunday. Down my way as of yesterday, things are wide open
    • JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • Darrell Larson
      I live on the north side of Pike Bay was helping our lady friend down the road pull her dock out last night. To my surprise there were ice chunks floating in the dock area. You may be all right for next weekend for open water, but if this current trend keeps up, it won't be long after that. Tourists are gone, seasonal cabin owners are thinning, cabin lights across the bay at night are far and few. I will now begin my annual hibernation, seems like it's been going on forever with the covid virus and all. You all stay safe.  
    • DTro
      It's truly amazing how social media has transformed our lives.   Seems like not too long ago there was no such thing as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or TikTok.    Where did you go for fishing information, research, brotherhood and fellowship?   You spent a lot of time at bait shops, reading magazines and newspapers, or you dialed up into a fishing discussion bulletin board on the world wide web.   I'm a geek who preferred the electronic version so I spent A LOT of time online reading everything I could on web forums and discussion boards.  I came to find a primary home here with Fishing Minnesota in roughly 2000.   I dove in and met a lot of great fishing and personal friends.  I was provided the opportunity to get involved with the marketing side of fishing and learned quite a bit about the business of fishing.   I've been saddened to see how participation in forums such as this and others I follow, have crashed with the growing popularity of other platforms.   What brings me here though today is to stop by and say hi to all my old fishing friends.  About 4 years ago I started a Catfish/Sturgeon guide service.  It has been growing steadily each year and one of the reoccurring themes I seem to experience is how many of my guests refer to Fishing Minnesota Dot Com and how they came to recognize me and my activity there from years ago.      For several years this site reigned supreme when it came to current fishing news and information and a place where everyone was here to help and became a brotherhood for many.  While there was always some political stuff tossed in, for the most part it was a place to forget about the world and focus on our favorite past time.    Oh how times have changed.....      I hope everyone is doing well and pushing through all the background noise in todays world.  What we are currently experiencing does not bode well for our mental health and I hope things change soon before we find ourselves in another 1863 Gettysburg.   I'll share a great experience I had the other night with a Mother/Daughter captured by Ben Garving (Award winning KARE11 photojournalist).   He really did a great job in capturing what happens when you forget about outside things for a while and spend time with family and just sit back and enjoy our great outdoors.   No matter your political views or your thoughts on our natural resources and how they are managed, this is something we can all come together and embrace.    Take care!   KARE11 Sturgeon Story Click Here
    • gimruis
      I have encountered this problem for years now.  I see all kinds of ducks on the city lakes I fish and then when duck season rolls around, they're STILL on the city lakes and there's virtually none to be found on the ponds I can hunt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.