• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

WalleyeChamp

Last year we had a great 1-Post Shed hunting forum. Just wondering if you guys want to keep them all in one place again? IT seemed to work well!

I see a few have dropped already. I can't wait to get out!

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonkaBass

• lungdeflator

• matchset

• WalleyeChamp

Yea thats one of my favorite things on here. Its nice to see what everybody finds. Still early tho its gonna be a month at least before bones start rollin in

I will be looking this wkd as some deer have definetely yarded up in our area. I would love to find an early shed. Can't wait till pics start rolling in. I will post as soon as I find some. Might be a couple of weeks yet.

I'm wondering if they will drop a little earlier this year with the no doubt added stress to the deer. Winter hit a little earlier than other years.

We have a 11 pointer and a 8 pointer that have lost half there gear will start looking this weekend. Good luck everyone.

Trailcams have really aided my search, I used to think they shed way earlier than they did, just figured I missed them, so some guys you might be in an area where March is primetime like I am, early thaws stink because the bucks have barely started shedding, bucks disperse, use your t-cam to the fullest. It is not out of the norm for us to see racks yet in very late March/early April not clear as to the why but areas vary a lot and I used to blame not finding any as bad luck, little did I know prior to Valentine's day was a waste of effort, the T-cam has been very valuable.

Good point Musky! I'm finding that all areas drop at completely different times. 20 miles from where I'm at I hear guys saying that full headgear is common well into March and I start in Jan. Trail cams will help a TON so you're not wasting time and not spooking everything from their area too!

they are already dropping boys! a out of state family christmas party has my weekend all tied up, but i plan to get the drop on some sheds here soon!

Saw a nice sized buck cross the road right in front of the truck Friday evening by Red lake. No horns on the buck. At first I thought it was a doe but the neck was too large to be a flat top.

No deer horns here yet, but my buddy has found 4 sheds and one nice 9 pt. skull. I did get out for some shed hunting though and got my first moose sheds. Although they dont look like it they are a match set. Saw him before I went to get his sheds...

2010-12-19145651.jpg

2010-12-19145830.jpg

2010-12-19151546.jpg

Just to the left of the brush you can see the tines sticking up if you look close.

2010-12-19151730.jpg

2010-12-19152441.jpg

Yeah I found them this year. Wasnt a pen moose though smile The whitetails are really starting to drop them good now too locally. Went out today and saw a bunch of shed out bucks but no horns today.

Awesome job TonkaBass! By the looks of the terrain I'm guessing Northwestern MN for the paddles? I have not been out shed hunting yet, but got my first picture on the deer cam with one side missing(Polk Cty, WI) Have you seen a lot of bucks around the metro dropped yet? Once bow season ends in WI, I will be going full bore!

I saw 8 shed bucks yesterday, one with one side, and 5 with both sides still. Just depends on the spot. Some are really dropping right now though. Thanks to mother nature they are getting buried more by the day...

No doubt the deer are really dropping statewide. But no doubt they are being buried by snow statewide too. Haven't made it out yet. About the time the trails get good for walking it snows again. April could be a good shed month this year!!

Cool moose sheds!!

CJ

Found my first shed of the year two weeks ago. My trail cams are showing me that nearly all the bucks in the Somerset area have lost their racks. I've only gotten one picture in the last week of a buck that still has both sides.

Normally they drop the other side within 40 yrds or so, but they can walk around with just one side for a couple weeks before the other side falls off too.

i have found matching sets within 5 feet of each other and as far as 100 yards from each other but never farther than that. I have found lots of one sided sheds on a 150 acre property where the other was never found, not sure where they are!

WOW. It sounds like you guys are seeing some good action already. It's too bad they keep getting covered up. We could use a good 2 weeks without snow so we can get out and find some!

Your welcome. These are the first sheds I have ever found. Also the first time I have been out in the woods this late in the year, due to this is the first year witha bow for me. The last snow was christmas eve I think. I was in Iowa and when I got home that night I had to shovel the sidewalks. Its raining here now though.

Fisrt Sheds ever??!! Even Better!

Yep, rain all over today. Too bad it isn't going to just stop! I think it's going to uncover some sheds and then the snow will cover em right back up again!

Went over to my land near Cumberland,WI to bowhunt this afternoon. I checked one of my cameras that I had up and decided to take a quick look for sheds. I found this little 4pt within 75 yards of my bowstand. I have pictures of this deer after he dropped the left side.

CIMG3799.JPG

CIMG3801.JPG