• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

WalleyeChamp

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonkaBass

• lungdeflator

• matchset

• WalleyeChamp

Had a couple bucks in my turnip plot tonight. A forkie and a buck that was muchhhh larger bodied, but minus his antlers. Is it normal for bucks to be dropping this early? I'm used to seeing bucks with antlers well into March.

Same dang thing every year.... Bucks will drop sheds in December, January, February, March or as late as April. Each buck to its own.

From wild deer to game farm deer,yes genetics is involved when they shed their antlers,but also very big criteria is healthy animals will and do hold their antlers much longer on average than less well conditioned animals.

I appreciate that laker, honestly, apparently where I'm at the deer go into winter and maintain through winter in very good shape that's good to know, but the deer where I live shed very quickly and they have the same corn,beans,alfalfa,salt,mineral, people feeding etc. The only difference I can tell is the soil is clay where they shed early and rich rich black dirt where they don't so I wonder if testosterone is at issue as the late shed area has ample ample bucks and around the clay soil area they're much less numerous per square acre,mile or whatever, they roam further to service the does in the clay area and in my other black dirt area there's more than enough bucks to do the job ? IDK nature eh.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw these in the backyard (east metro) yesterday. There were 8 total - 4 still had both antlers, 3 had no antlers, and 1 had only one antler left. Backtracked their trail today - no sheds, but the pup had tons of fun in the deep snow. Excuse the poor photos, it was getting dark, but I wanted to get something to post here because I have long been an admirer of this thread!full-21921-42450-deerfeb8.jpg

Pics look good to me! They are still carrying out here in west central ND. From what Ive heard from guys in MN, most have dropped if your north of Brainerd.

8 pointer and forker both had their antlers this past weekend near Brainerd when they came to visit the bird feeder.

• 1 month later...

Well winter has finally loosened her icy grip down here in eastern WI so I took the new camera out for a hike today. Nothing big but it's good to finally find one after walking as much as I have this year.

DSC_0004_zps1eefcf4e.jpg

Thursday I seen a fork horn on the way home from work... Thought they would have dropped by now!

While I was out today I saw one with one side still on, and last weekend when we were up at Lutsen skiing we saw 2 bucks with both sides and one with one side still hanging on. I agree it seems late especially for such a bad winter. As for todays hike I got one more to add to the pile.

DSC_0021_zps0c0af192.jpg

Found one this week. Was very near where I found one last year and sure enough I found the same side last year when he was a 2.5 this year he added a lot of mass....

full-38623-43397-img_20140313_130212_149

full-38623-43398-img_20140313_161606_521

Dandy muskieman! Nice to get him from one year to the next! Nice and fresh with no chews! Hope you get the match too!

It was super fresh. You can see his tracks in the snow. I was following him for awhile into his bed...

Heres a few Ive found so far. Been a suprisingly good year, even with all the snow. Now to match a few of them up before the squirrels take care of em!

4pt_R_2.jpg

5pt_L_2.jpg

5pt_R_2.jpg

I did a lot of walking again today. I didn't find anything till the end of the day other than to many guys out walking the same piece of land. The word must have gotten out since last year when I had the whole place to myself all spring. But on the way back to my truck I tripped over something, and after closer inspection it was a antler that was out there for at least one full year. It had been ran over by a disk multiple times while planting the food plot burying everything but a portion of the main beam. Hopefully I can continue the good luck while I'm back in MN looking next weekend.

DSC_0031_zpse3ccd56b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably blind but where is it?

If it's what I see way in the back of the pic, that looks REALLY nice but I can't tell.

Got a close up if that's it?

Just Awesome Muskie!!! It looks like an 80 incher in the first pic! 59 is still one heck of a 4 point! Congrats!

I went out this weekend for a total of about 5-6 hours between Saturday and Sunday in an area that has a lot of wintering deer and had great success finding 20 antlers/sheds (a couple were "break offs"). I found one set that would probably score in the mid 120's with a 14" spread credit, and the biggest single scored 64". Wish I had more time to search as I know I only scratched the surface. It sure is fun finding sheds like that!

Geez Northwoods! Thats a heck of a day in MN! 64" is a big horn! Better look for him next year. Id be spending another 5-6 hours out there for the match!!!

Nice Job wink

• 4 weeks later...