• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHED HUNTING THREAD - PICs INCLUDED

WalleyeChamp

I don't understand. You found the second half of a match to a set that you found the first shed from 6 years ago? Does that mean the missing shed was laying on the forest floor for 6 years? Is that possible?

Isn't it possible that another deer just had a very similar rack? I'm no expert, by any means, but they really aren't THAT different from deer to deer.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TonkaBass

• lungdeflator

• matchset

• WalleyeChamp

Yeah its possible, they last a long time, Esspecially in the CRP and swamps. No real rodents in there compared to the woods. Soon they will be dropping... I cant wait for this year!

I don't understand. You found the second half of a match to a set that you found the first shed from 6 years ago? Does that mean the missing shed was laying on the forest floor for 6 years? Is that possible?

Isn't it possible that another deer just had a very similar rack? I'm no expert, by any means, but they really aren't THAT different from deer to deer.

They are as different as you and I!!! I found a buck dead in 2001... last year I found its left antler from 2000. i couldn't believe it!

Wow! I had no idea they could, or would last that long just out in the open. Seems like, no matter where they were outside, some critter would find them and start chewing on em'.

Very cool. I'm gonna have to start looking for antlers. Seems like anything with horns gets killed almost right away in our neck of the woods. Think I'd be pretty lucky to find anything up here in NW Minnesota.

I have found very very old antler sheds, about 1 a year that are so old you cant even guess how old they are! Not many tree rats in my area to chew them up or carry them away

I found an elk antler in a slough bottom in central mn. There hasn't been elk here since the late 1800's. They think its from that time.... I guess how would you know. Its in pretty bad shape.

Very COOL!! I would imagine that a lot of hunters come across sheds from the year before and prior. WHen i was younger there was a swamp we would drive out and it seemed every year somebody would walk out with a shed. Only makes me wonder how many were there in feb/march. I still think I need to check out that area some winter.

I found an elk antler in a slough bottom in central mn. There hasn't been elk here since the late 1800's. They think its from that time.... I guess how would you know. Its in pretty bad shape.

between Brainerd and Little Falls a bull elk got loose from a game farm in the 70's. it ran around for about 2 years.

The elk shed could've been really, really old.

I never saw it, but I'd heard someone found an ancient (giant) elk antler in the Wild Rice river just west of Twin Valley, MN.

It was massive, and basically petrified. They figured, again from what I'm told, that it may have been hundreds, or perhaps even thousands of years old.

I always watch the river banks for unearthed bones, and stuff, whenever fishing or floating an old river. Can't wait to find my first Dinosaur!!! laugh

I found this elk antler last fall in ND. It was buried in the river bottom mud, only reason I found it was because the river was a little low, only 1 tine sticking up.

full-26771-27009-elk.jpg

full-8800-27004-p1090405.jpg

Mr. Boyd's first shed at one year old. Brought tears to my eye's. These pics are from last March. He is a good 10 lbs. bigger now. Great dog indeed. grin

full-8800-27005-p1090411.jpg

full-8800-27006-p1090416.jpg

Boyd with his first two sheds ever. All we found this year. Break time after a day's work.

full-8800-27007-p1090420.jpg

Boyd's opinion of finding leg bones instead of Antlers. These were under the grass he is standing in. I called him and he wouldn't come. Went on over and he was proud so we staged a pic. for him. You should reward them as if they found you a shed when they get other bones. Boyd likes venison chunks for reward.

Mr. Boyd looks just like our Bones. Is there a chance I might still be able to train Bones to hunter antler? He's now 10 months old, but he's smart, and his nose never stops!

Cool pic LDF!

I'm thinkin' if I gave Bones one of my rattlin' antlers for chewin' on, then hid the other from time to time in the woods next to our place? Help him find it if he can't initially. Praise the dickins' out of him when he does.

Do I still have a chance?

Slimngrizzly is right on. Thanks Slimn for the kind words back on the photo contest thread. Very fine pics you have their as well and congrats on your success.

From what I understand and it is only what I have heard and read. It can be a little tougher to get them searching out antlers if they have been trained to hunt bird. Just a matter of them not being distracted in the field if something were to flush in front of them. I would guess that could be the issue there.

Boil them antlers,use rubber gloves when handling them,add rack wax to the burr,hide them from your buddy,let him have a whiff of that rack wax,give him the command (get the bone) and the goal is of course to have him do just that. Start in small area's and make it bigger as they develop. Make that bone there most favorite thing by limiting their time with them. Bones mean meat treats and praise.

As you stated, give them much praise for success. I give Boyd either cold cut chicken or venison for reward as well. He only gets meat treats when training. Better to train them a little hungry as well. At least for Boyd it is. Works harder for that treat. I will work him before it's meal time.

Good luck with it. You should give it a shot anyway. Even though we only got two last year it will always be the best memory from my shed hunting day's watching Boyd bring that first shed for him and the first for me to have one retrieved. Priceless stuff there is all I can say.

Go to a site I believe is called Antler ridge or something of that nature. They train dogs just for this and the price you pay for a fully trained shed hunter will knock your sox off.

Why pay the money when it's more rewarding being a rookie and watching it come together between you and your best friend. wink

Our dog was 2 and a half when I started working with her. She's loves finding them. Bringing them back? Not so much smile

Mr. Boyd looks just like our Bones. Is there a chance I might still be able to train Bones to hunter antler? He's now 10 months old, but he's smart, and his nose never stops!

Won't be too long for some sheds to appear, I'm stuck in nutrition central and have to wait until March. I do plan to shed hunt a new area after the new year weather/snow pending where they do shed much sooner, can't wait to give it a go. Time to deploy my winter t-cams in the hot spots and they'll tell me when the time is right. It's also a prime scout job for next season, hope there's a batch of 2.5's or older on there.

Its pretty much all I can think about...

maybe you and your buddy will find another Hundred incher! Good luck, i'll see ya at the classic!

I know I posted these on this thread back in 2010 when I picked up the 9 point side, but thought I'd post them again...I found the 9 point side, then on the way home, saw a sign with an arrow indicating a shed hunters banquet going on a short distance from my place in Houston, MN. I decided to turn that direction and check it out...Shortly after walking in the door I was the 2nd to the last person to buy a chance on a raffle for a Mathews Drenalin Bow...before I found a seat in the packed house, I heard my name called off to win that bow! Biggest antler I've ever found, and the most expensive thing I've ever won, all in the same day!

full-16801-27210-matchedset.jpg

Matchset, I dont know about that lol... I actually have been getting up to Duluth quite a bit because my gf is from there. I thought you said you were from there. I havent really scouted anything though. Still metro stuff for this guy. jkcmj, Thats some nice luck to have!

We never found anything from his since...likely was car killed or hunter killed the following season. I have permission to shed hunt it, not hunt the area, so never had out cams or was around to see him.

your odds at a 100" are probably better in the metro anyway!

I know of two that could break 100 in the metro smile chances of finding them are slim to soccer mom

I know of two that could break 100 in the metro smile chances of finding them are slim to soccer mom

They gotta fall somewhere Bro!!

Hey, whatever happened with that Excelsior Buck?????????