• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jeff Foiles in trouble

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muthagoose

• perch_destroyer

• fishkid

• Gordie

I don't know him from Adam, I just remember he did respond to people pointing out that he did get 4 shots off on videos, and he told everyone that he held that fourth shell in his hand near the action to get that fourth shot...to me, that's circumventing the spirit of the federal plugged gun laws that limit everyone to 3 shots, plugged or not. That disappointed me, but I wouldn't wish for anyone to lose all their gear like what happened to him at Game Fair.

while he most likely had 4 shots in the gun...

I STONGLY disagree with your view on that. If the law says you can only have 3 in the gun then thats the law. I always reload as fast as I can and sometime I do have an extra shell in hand.

Why do you support the 3 in the gun law anyways?

All the feds need to do is remove part of the obvious outdated 1 in the chamber and 2 in the tube description and enforce the ""capable of holding 3 shells""...

If a gun is capable of floating all they have to do is remove a few words,then any gun capable of floating a shell will need a plug in the mag to hold one.

Then you will see some --it hit the fan... 2c

There was a shortlived video going around yesterday on YT showing a outfitter in Utah clearly shooting 4 shells at honkers repeatedly,it also had a guy bragging he shot 6 geese with "only" 3 shells. He was implying that he unlike the others in the group.

Quote:
The prosecutors and the judge in this case are weak-kneed, pablum puking sissies. Those penalties aren't punishment-they're a joke. Until law enforcement people and JUDGES, at ALL judicial levels begin to take game law violations seriously the blatant scofflaws will continue to run amok.

The prosecutors, judges, and law enforcement folks are not the people who write or have the power to change the laws. They enforce them to the limits of the penalties stated therein, and even then, federal sentencing guidelines have a lot to do with what someone gets as far as a penalty.

The people who CAN make changes are our elected officials. Many of them are hunters, true. But more importantly, a lot of their wealthy campaign contributors (both individuals and corporations) are hunters, too. And those wealthy hunters and corporations are the ones who pay the big-money guides, many of whom feel the need to show their clients a good hunt because of what they're paying. So not only do some guides cut corners, but the kind of clientele that will pay an obscene amount of money to kill ducks probably doesn't want to see MORE rules to hinder them from having a good time or harsher penalties for the guides who will cut those corners to show it to them.

It's easy to say "throw the book at 'em," but harder to actually do.

As far as equating a Lacey Act violation with rape - not sure how that comparison can be made, unless it's under the strict definition of a felony. That definition is what it is. But again, federal sentencing guidelines come into play, here. Rape has aspects to it that ratchet up the seriousness of the violation - it involves a victim, a crime of violence, etc. So a rape conviction will almost always see a harsher penalty than a Lacey Act violation - as it should.

I don't know him from Adam, I just remember he did respond to people pointing out that he did get 4 shots off on videos, and he told everyone that he held that fourth shell in his hand near the action to get that fourth shot...to me, that's circumventing the spirit of the federal plugged gun laws that limit everyone to 3 shots, plugged or not. That disappointed me, but I wouldn't wish for anyone to lose all their gear like what happened to him at Game Fair.

Sounds like this dude is wearing the complete clown suit, I'm happy to hear he was and is such a quality ambassador to the world of waterfowling. The term game hog seems to describe him from what I've read.

EJ, the flaw in your argument comes in the second sentence of paragraph one where you state they "...enforce them to the limits....etc.". No. They often do not do that, but instead slide around them or mitigate terms that are available to them.

Thus my claim of weak kneed judicial folks. It is historic that game law violations and violators have been treated with a wink and a nod. Who hasn't read colorful tales of the clever and rascally poacher's and out-of-season deer shooters.

Just remember fellas. The people who are getting screwed here are .....YOU! Still think they are clever and cute?

I always thought he was cocky. Let him face the music. Hey DU members, this guy is making us look like a bunch of idiots. He clearly only cares about his bank account. Unreal!!! I cant wait to see a pic of him sitting in jail. Please, dont ever buy anything related to FOILES.

This is certainly potentially relevant to all of us. Given the violations are related to the Lacy Act (covers migratory birds) he is eligible for decades of jail time and millions in monetary punishment. First, I'll say the allegations against him are in a different ball court since he profitted from the actions in the form of CD/DVD sales, clothing, guide services, clothing sponsorship etc.

But I find it a little troubling that a single violation has a person eligible for punishments near what a convicted rapist could see. The reason being waterfowl are federally managed. Should killing a single duck or goose over the limit (intentionally or accidentally) justify a punishment similar to what someone would get for raping a human being seem right?

Like I said, Foiles allegedly took it to another level: shooting 'park' geese with a pellet gun, recording birds taken falsely, directing people to shoot well beyond their daily limit etc.

Likely the most unfortunate part of this is it gives our sport a black eye and gives the antis have another good chunk of ammo.

This was stated in the article..

"The maximum penalty for a felony violation of the Lacey Act or the federal false writing statute includes up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine."

He would be eligible for decades in prison should he be convicted on all counts, and a judge were to sentence him to the maximum on each count, and then run those sentences consecutively.

NEVER going to happen. To compare it to rape is more than a little off base. A sexual assault carries more than a 5 year maximum sentence.

Furthermore, what he was doing is RAPE, he was raping the natural resources shared by all for his personal gain. Sad thing is I would bet he wont serve so much as a day in prison over this. It will be plea bargained down, he'll pay some heft fines, forfeitures etc and lose hunting privileges, but I will be shocked if he sees the inside of a cell.

And THAT is the saddest part of it all.

He should probably RE-name this video to "25 over the limit" or something similar.

why in the heck would you name your hunting video "1 Over the Limit"??? what a numbnuts.

I am gonna film a deer hunt and call it "Spotlights Across the Road."

Learning more about this dude and what was up, there are so many adults failing the youth of today, we hear those stories about people that should be looked up to a bit, and then quite a few just let us and the kids down, not that they should but so many kids have few places to turn for inspiration, no wonder our world is somewhat the mess it is and that dude looks the part of an ego type game hog not that the look always fits the bill. Anyway, thank you to all that feel our game laws and limits are to be respected and to all who help out in positive ways to the youth, family, and community, (the world, country, state, county, and community needs you.) I don't doubt this clown and whoever he said keep letting them rip boys has shot more illegal ducks in his days then I have shot legal birds, cmon he allegedly had a picking room set up for overlimit birds, is that true, if so that's a really fill in the blank.

I used to buy his video every year it came out and they were pretty good but one thing that always bugged me was that he blu the snot, sometimes double shooting a falling bird, now i know ALOT of those birds were not fit for the table. And then if you read the charges about shooting banded and collard geese with a pellet gun at the park baiting with bread I have no sympathy for him, but I did get a kick out of this picture, might be on the cover of his next video

"Fallin Sky's in the city"

1133927818_LJ6b7-L.jpg

Saw him and watched him at the Game Fair several times........I honestly could not "dumb myself down" enough to ever put one of his calls around my neck. In life, I have accepted that many times bad things happen to dumb people.

I always thought he was cocky. Let him face the music. Hey DU members, this guy is making us look like a bunch of idiots. He clearly only cares about his bank account. Unreal!!! I cant wait to see a pic of him sitting in jail. Please, dont ever buy anything related to FOILES.

+1

Quote:
EJ, the flaw in your argument comes in the second sentence of paragraph one where you state they "...enforce them to the limits....etc.". No. They often do not do that, but instead slide around them or mitigate terms that are available to them.

Actually, judges often DO hand down the max sentence, but it's not the max as stated by law under the Lacey Act. It can't be because federal sentencing guidelines limit not only what a prosecutor can seek, but what a judge can give out.

If a violator has little or no prior criminal record (as with many wildlife cases), it's not a crime of violence, and there are other factors absent which normally ratchet up an offense level, then the judge is very limited.

This is obviously not a crime of violence and I doubt Foiles has a criminal history, but the one thing that will likley bump this up in the guidelines is the commercial nature of the enterprise - i.e. doing it for money.

That said, with no criminal record, I predict at least one felony, little or no jail time, probation, and a huge fine. Unless the federal government and the public begins to treat wildlife crimes as seriously as they do other violations like murder, rape, drugs, etc. (which they can't and won't), that's about all we can hope for in a case like this. Sadly, that's par for the course in wildlife cases.

So the prosecutor and judge are not so much unwilling to spank someone as they are restricted by law and the judicial system.

You are correct. I guess my mind blocked out the fact the charges related to Lacey Act violations and had it in my head they were State charges.

And you are probably correct in your analysis of what the final outcome will be too. Dammit!

I did nt read all of the charges but other than state violations what will he face for federal charges ?

Since Waterfowl is a migratory game bird, State Violations are also Federal Violations.

Ok heres what I seen and hope they follow this

The maximum penalty for a felony violation of the Lacey Act or the federal false writing statute includes up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

also

The government also is seeking forfeiture of property used in the hunts, including 13 Benelli shotguns, two Artic Cat ATVs and duck and goose decoys.

wonder if he will go to the auction for these items

• 3 weeks later...

sick

Make an example out of this schmuck for anyone else out there engaged in, or considering doing, something like this. If a celeb like this gets the book thrown at him, other guides and hunters in the industry will certainly get wind and maybe think twice.

Wow. I thought most of this had happened after his trailer was taken from Game Fair and I actually felt sorry for the guy. Now I'm glad it was. What a total scumbag.

Wow. I thought most of this had happened after his trailer was taken from Game Fair and I actually felt sorry for the guy. Now I'm glad it was. What a total scumbag.

His trailer was not taken. His pick up was robbed. Police report noted that there was no forced entry. SBE (4 floaters), lanyards with bands, and other stuff were stolen.

Foiles has largely been a negative to waterfowling, this Federal indictment only validates this.

this disgusts me to read everything about this guy. i hope they throw the book at him and make an example out of him... sad thing is, you never see the maximum sentence it seems like. this guy should never be allowed to take a game animal ever again. i hope all of his sponsors drop him and stop selling his products in stores. he should have to forfeit all of his money from sales of his calls, dvds, etc b/c he used illegal means to promote them.