• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO's 2010 Mille Lacs Lake Early Ice Throw Down Get Together Dec. 18th

Shack

Well, things are look'in great for prime fishing on Mille Lacs.

full-18196-4363-saturdaytemp.jpg

full-18196-4364-capture.jpg

Talked with Paul and they are letting 1/2 ton and under vehicles out on the ice via the Appeldoorn's acsess. Sounds like good ice in the bay and out. Stop and check in with Paul for the details. If you do need transportation out the area(s) we are fishing we will hook you up!

Remember 50% off access and cabin rentals for anyone coming for the GTG. If heading up in the morning and thinking about spending the night call on your way to check to see if opening are still to be had for the cabins.

Paul Waldowski

General Manager

Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort

45401 Mille Lacs Parkway

Isle, MN 56342 · 320-676-8834

[email protected]

Pretty pumped! Will see those who are coming up (or already up) in the morning and during the day. Should be a great day for being on Mille Lacs ice fishing. smile

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shack

• Paul Waldowski

• Chimp

• broman

I was one of the folks up there with the group. Fishing started out slow, but Paul found us a hot spot that we fished Sat evening. Chimp (I think) did very well, iced over 30 walleyes between yesterday and today. He also pulled a 25" fish and so did Oneloveonefish. I managed 3 keeper walleyes and 4 jumbo perch. One of my best days on the ice. A buddy of mine caught 2 walleyes and a few perch as well. Westsidefishing burnt a hole in his new X2 and lost a large fish after a long fight. Sunflowers claim another victim. Hopefully he found some fish after I left this morning.

It was nice to meet everyone, I had a good time and would suggest Appeldoorns, Pauls a great guy and his roads are well taken care of.

If any of you know Westsidefishing, relay this message to him. I also have an X2 house, and worked for a sporting good store. We had a bad X2 come in and instead of throwing it away I took some of the fabric in case I burnt a hole in my house. I zipped out the rear link to the house (Blue fabric) And I also cut the whole front door off (white fabric)

How big is your hole?

Well finally home after spending the weekend at appledorns. Met some great guys from this site. Shout out to chimp, westside fishing, broman, and shack. Well chased the perch and walleyes all weekend. Minimal succes, two keeper walleye 14" and 15 1/2" and six perches 10-13" Caught and release a dandy 25" walleye this morning on a float and minnow. Tried hole hopping but the fish was not cooperating to that mode of fishing, so set up the house and found fish.Prime time bites are morning 6-9:30ish and 2-dark.Total for the weekend 15 walleyes and ten perchs. Not a bad weekend, Paul at Appledorns got a good setup up there for cabins and access to the lake.

Very cool day guys. Thanks goes out Paul and Appeldoorns and to the crowd of people who came. It was one of the funnest days I have had on Mille Lacs in many years.

It was pretty cool seeing those walleyes stacked up like cordwood at times out on that last structure Paul turned us on to (contact Paul for details grin and thanks to Paul for riding around to everyone to spread the word ). I gave it a good hour+ after the last of you guys left and I kid you not the Marcum would light up like an X-Mas tree and they would close in but not bite, just like Paul said. Chimp had them dialed in with the finesse. I really wish I would have broken out my ST. Croix spring bobber and Ratzo. They would come in an bump it as they wanted to feed, but any movement or resistance they back down. Just like The Horseshoe Chain Channel cats, but you switch up to crappie gear you get them. Awell lol! Good times.

Tried hole hopping but the fish was not cooperating to that mode of fishing, so set up the house and found fish.Prime time bites are morning 6-9:30ish and 2-dark.Total for the weekend 15 walleyes and ten perchs. Not a bad weekend, Paul at Appledorns got a good setup up there for cabins and access to the lake.

Yep, it bites to stick it out (more so when they ain't and are not biting) and wait it out this time of year when hole hoping is so productive during March time, but the positives were shown in the totals caught by those just sticking to one spot. I think Craigums and his buddy were proof of this. The flip side though was the bigger perch caught yesterday I heard were caught by roamers. If I was to add up anything by yesterdays outcome is parking yourself will get you a meal and moving and hole hopping will get you a good sized Jumbo.

Yep bummer about westsidefishing X2 door on his new house. IMO that material should not go up like that and only produced some melted holes and discoloring. I have done the same thing to canvas and other porty material and ruined it but never had to deal with an opening like that. Heavyshot that is pretty cool of ya. Measure the circumference of a Mr. Heater/Sunflower head, add in about inch radius and that is what was gone. Not sure of how far the burning and melting damage went up and off to the side. Burning or melting your shack is just another notch on the old belt of ice fishing though. grin

Hey guys, sounds like everyone caught fish and you had nice weather! Were the fish at any consistent depths?

Sorry to hear about your X2 westsidefishing. I've always used a Sunflower myself up till this year (and burned my fair share of things) but went with a BigBuddy heater this year when I bought my Predator. They are great and have a surround so you won't burn things....highly suggest it (sorry for the hindsight).

Ya me and my buddy did well on the perch, Sounds like we should have stayed and hit that last spot with you guys though. I forgot my LED lights and didnt want to get caught in the dark though. Nice talking with ya Shack, Paul, Broman, oneloveonefish, And I forgot the dudes name that gave me a ride on his wheeler to the second spot but he was cool too (im just bad with names, sorry)

Im kind of kicking myself though I wanted to tangle with some walleyes and we shouldnt have bailed so soon frown

I may be up again on thursday or friday to do a little fishing.

Also, oneloveonefish. I was looking at your auger, whats up with the blue drill bit on the new strikemaster solo head, it didnt come that way did it?

Sound like you guys had a great time.

I was thinkin about you guys while I was sitting at my daughters dance recital.

Sifty

Craigums,no the augur is a Stikemaster 224 and i bought the power head last year after the gull lake tournament from D-rock. I drill many many holes per outing so i like the four blade on the 2 2 4 auger. I still got the original Tecumseh power head just needed a upgrade. Yeah i like the set up i got drills perty fast and light enough for me to handle.

It was good time guys. Had lot of fun just a little bummer wink (that hole in the door). Met good guys. That to Paul, Shack, onelove and broman for all the help to drive me and my stuff arround on the lake. HeviShot I'll take you up on the offer. It's hole about 12''(give or take ince or two) in the door. How do I get hold of you HeviShot?

Well, First of all. Thanks To Paul and your Assistant. ( never got his name) Being New to the Lake i was a little unsure of the where to go so i hung out till shack got there. ( better late then never and Safe) I followed Paul to a little deeper then the other fellows with shack. I found a few 8-9 inch perch and for the first time found myself not using a spring bobber. paul stopped by and helped me set up the new lx-5 Boy did that help. we then made a move to a bar and set up a little ways away from the skids. i set up in 28 ft ( below the ice) there was a nother portable 50 ft away. they got into the eyes first about 2pm. then my screan started to show me some red and Green. i worked on jigging for the first time on the ice and learned that a pause is needed sometimes. and they will pick it right off the bottom. got a few eaters in the 16 - 17.5 range and relaesed about 20 more. had a Hog on but inexperience got the best of me by rushing it. placed a call to Paul to get the guys and share a bite!

Bite ended about 50 min after dark. the next day i went out at 4:30 am and picked one up here and there had caught 7 and missed a huge one ( think he would have been on my wall) had a hard time getting his head turned but saw him plenty the dead stick was the key in the morning calling them in by pounding the structure. was back in Owatonna by 1pm. Great trip! Thanks to APPLEDOORNS. (Paul what did his buddy think of those eyes?) Will not be my last trip! ChiMP

If any of you know Westsidefishing, relay this message to him. I also have an X2 house, and worked for a sporting good store. We had a bad X2 come in and instead of throwing it away I took some of the fabric in case I burnt a hole in my house. I zipped out the rear link to the house (Blue fabric) And I also cut the whole front door off (white fabric)

How big is your hole?

How do I get hold of you Hevishot?

• 11 months later...

i would so luv to do this, meet some of u and pick ur brains while having a great time fishing but have home football game. any chance between xmas and new years? or after first of year?

i would so luv to do this, meet some of u and pick ur brains while having a great time fishing but have home football game. any chance between xmas and new years? or after first of year?

This event happened last year and there no plans as of yet for a 2011 GTT. Although I would be up for one. Last years was fun.

I'll be in too. It was good time.

Broman, I send the night in your wheel house. This is my new user name.

Ice_Fishin07, it was nice to meet you last year. We'll have to meet up again this year. Hopefully we can get something together for everyone.

Is this for Saturday or Sunday? Thinking about making the drive up for Saturday only. ATV traffic at all or is that out of the question with the warmth?