• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

went out today. lots of fish on the graph but no takers. had one peel the skin off my shiner as i set the hook... going to have to try again tomorrow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hookset 31

• Corey20

• Derek Vos

• MAdDuckiceroads

A few of us drove our jeep all around last weekend out there. From mishawaka to the islands the lease amount I found was 10.5" on saturday. Where we are fishing there is 12-14". My uncle went a little over board and drove his 3/4 ton dodge diesel out on sunday from kings to the islands.

Havent seen many northerns nor have my other 3 buddys. We did manage a couple last weekend. 7.4,7.7,5.5lb(between 3 houses)Couple days of not seeing one though. The 7.4lb had about 8-10 big smelt in its belly. I think thats a big reason why we arent see as many fish. They are out deep chasing them dam smelt.

I'm coming up on Sunday with the family and plan on taking my 3 year old daughter out once or twice. Hopefully I'll get out on my own a bit too and maybe shoot for a walleye or two.

I have a white F150 SCREW and will be fishing out of a Base camp or Command post thermal. Stop by and say hi if your out and about.

Fished trooptown today from 2-5 lots of small perch and one small walleye. I need to find some gills and crappies.

Caught four nice walleyes, one of them measuring 28" and FAT, and one jumbo perch on Thursday 12/23. I considered that a good night for my friend and I. It's funny though - all weekend long I listened to people say "I hear they're pounding em on Pokegama." I guess I missed out on the slaughtering that was happening. Lots of time left though.

Quote:
Caught four nice walleyes, one of them measuring 28" and FAT, and one jumbo perch

Are all the perch on Pokeg super grubby like the ones I've encountered? I remember going out one day several years ago and getting into a slew of huge perch. I brought some home and ugh, more grub than meat. I haven't drilled a hole on that lake since.

Really, huh last year we kept some jumbos and they werent grubby. I might just have to catch one this weekend and clean it to see.

Deet- maybe 4 eyes at one setting is pounding them to some folks. With the short bite time on pokey one has to be in the rite spot at the rite time to (pound them). Mixxedbag- it might vary with the grubs as to what part of the lake you catch the perch. I have had clean perch and i've cleaned perch that would crawl away after filleting. Don't know why that is- but it is. Hit afew more slush spots this AM on the lake-warm temps and rain at the end of Dec.-How crazy is that. Have fun and Happy New Year to all.

Yeah....tried going to Splithand this morning, but the Saturn and icy roads don't mix. Had to stay in town.

So that's weird about perch from different parts of the lake. I went out from the Wendigo access when I caught those grubby perch.

• 2 weeks later...

How's the slush situation on Pokegama? I was up over New Years and that snow brought some new slush pockets and I was wondering if it got worse or not.

Hookset I know where we are gonna crappie fishing! Do you have snowshoes? I caught my limit in 15 minutes and I had the whole lake to myself. The best part is it's closer to your house than mine.

went out last night with the sled. never ran into any slush pockets but there was some when i drilled my holes. snow seemed hard enough to keep you on top. managed one nice eye and a jumbo. lots of fish on the graph but very finicky. would pick your jig up but not hang on.

did some walleye fishing on sat. moring for a couple hours and within 10mins of being set up I had my tip ip go off. Ended up being the biggest eye I have pulled through the ice. 28 3/4" just a hair over 9lbs, by far the fattest 28-29" eye I have seen. Caught one more 18" and then a bunch of perch. I was fishing in 15' on a sharp break. There are some spear houses next to me and I talked to one guy who said he seen an eye all of 12lbs! Now why couldnt that one bit instead. Oh well cant complain.

Derek-I have shoes- Call me. There was a couple of large slush areas west of drumbeater out by the spear houses and a couple spots by stoney point as of yesterday. It seem like they just poppup where every. Spot that don't have slush today may have it tomorrow. My fishtrap is startin to look like a big ice cube - time to thaw it out agian.

anyone know if the slush pocket west of drumbeater has froze up at all yet ? heading out this evening

Wouldnt count on it. Some of the areas that have slush made 3-4" on ice and then all the slush is still underneath. All of our trucks were like ice cubes when we were done. Never got stuck but not easy going.

I dont know if I can say increase but after sitting in the spear house and seeing the walleyes move up into 9' all times of the day my buddy and I set up in about 15' instead of 23-27' and had a lot better action. I caught a 28.75" 9lb last weekend in 15'. Makes sense alot of perch and minnows are up shallow.

does make sense. we got skunked last night on a 30' hump. didnt start marking fish until the smelt moved in around 545 but then it was the same story. fish would race up and bump your jig or even come up with it but then not take it. heading to winni today hopefully we have better luck out there

pokeg has still been slow for me- couple fish - then i can watch them on the locater come to the hook and swim away. a buddy has been trying to get them to bite in his dark house but they show no interest.

What do you guys do when the perch are all over below you? I assume it's good to have the perch there since they should draw in the walleyes. But the day turns into the perch messing with both my jigging rod and deadstick.

Last time I was out I pulled up my deadstick (that had a jig and fathead on it) and then had a small jig with waxies to catch perch. Was having fun with this, and then set the hook on what I thought was a perch, and the rod doubled over on an assumed walleye...lost it half way up.

Is this the name of the game when the perch are thick, or is there another way? Bigger baits??

bring lots of bait! grin generally they will move out at prime time as the walleyes move in and just stare at your bait... time to start chasing panfish

the eyes do like to look at your bait- last night the smelt came in so thick that i hooked a couple. (fowl hooked so they were released)

the eyes do like to look at your bait- last night the smelt came in so thick that i hooked a couple. (fowl hooked so they were released)

I don't think it matters how you catch smelt, foul-hooked or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone fished out here lately? My brother's bach party will be out on the ice Thursday night so I'm gonna try my darndest to get there quickly after work to catch a couple walleyes before dark. Otherwise I'll just have to pick at the smelt swarms to satisfy the fishing need.

Had our annual guys weekend on Pokegama, and iced 1 walleye. Plenty of perch, and little marks on the flasher that I thought to be walleyes. Sounded like it's been pretty quiet based on a bait store guy I spoke with. Still good to go out as you just never know when they will turn on.