• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for dog suggestion?

Kylersk

I am a lab guy through and through....and both mine are house dogs and have free range of the house. Remind me to post a pic of the canister from our Dyson Animal vacuum after a few days of not vacuuming....something to keep in mind!

We also have 3 cats (which I am looking for new homes for BTW!!)...so that adds to my battle a little, but not as much ad the labs.

I know there are a few versatile breeds that are intriguing to me as well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FCspringer

• Kylersk

• caseymcq

• kentuck_ike

Mine pees on everything. Its crazy! smile

I know... I know... at times I would swear my dude shouldn't have a drop left but he manages to squeeze out one more squirt to let his buddies know he was in the neighborhood crazy

I know... I know... at times I would swear my dude shouldn't have a drop left but he manages to squeeze out one more squirt to let his buddies know he was in the neighborhood crazy

I laugh when he lifts his leg and stands there for awhile, but nothing happens. Should have paced yourself buddy. smile

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say a Lab is your best all round choice.

1.Labs - pretty hyper and needy puppies, best family dogs least training needed to make a decent hunter- too playful when young while hunting.

2.Then maybe a GSP second - great training makes a great bird dog, find a good breeder tho, lots of imbreads.

3.Springer - hyper - but all business in the field, decent duck dogs if needed.

4.Brit, really really good early season pheasant, seemed the easiest to break, most delicate (my opinion) seem to get the coldest and break down.

The lab is going to be the only one that can do everything, pheasant, duck, grouse etc. Obviously guys have Brits that will duck hunt...and labs that will point but you cant count on it. There will be exceptions, but any lab can do all three areas.

Here is my experience this year. It was my 48lbs labs first full hunting season and I got her next to as many dogs as I could. All of these dogs are owner proclaimed, best dogs ever.

I hunted along side many different breeds this year. The Chess, was a pretty cool, powerful dog, stubborn as can be, and there are big problems if another dog thought it could be the alpha. Might have issues with the boxers.

Brittanys, good upland, had both good and bad traits while pheasant hunting. early season was a blast, but late season, if you dont have a really good one, you might get a little frustrated. The 3 I hunted with were all territorial, and would bite at the other dogs if a bird was down. It was very annoying watching them chew the ice off from between their toes too. They were all hard workers, but were a little delicate in the end.

I have hunted with many GSP's and these are the most hit or miss dogs I have ever seen. Either really good or terrible. I would have an ecollar with these dogs as they are the fastest dogs I have ever seen. The biggest downfall I have seen with these dogs is their running and chasing. But when you get a good one, pheasants are a blast. I have hunted grouse with a couple too, and they did just fine.

Springers, I was very surprised with the springers this year. Next to the lab they seemed to work the hardest to please. they held up and were great pheasant dogs in the early and late season. they are a bit squirrelly though and hyper, but it seemed like once you got them on the field it was all business. The springers seemed to get along the best with other dogs too.

Also if you fish, Labs seemed to be the best in the boat. It takes a year to break them in though. The 2 brits that i have had in my boat, almost got thrown in. The high pitched wine and yipping was too much for me.

I have been around britts for 36 years. Territorial is very uncommon if fact most will back away from another that wants a retrieve and move on to the next bird. In my 10 yrs of dog training I have seen very few dogs that are both delicate & territorial, it just doesn't happen much. As for ice balls between the toes this is common for many breeds & can be easily taken care of by trimming the fur in between the toes. Which if you know how to do properly is quick & easy. I agree late season can be hard if they get wet. Pheasant hunting this time of year with a pointer is a blast. Birds hold tighter during or after a snowfall. Seeing a pointing dog, point rock solid and then having the snow explode as you flush a rooster is a real rush. This thread is always going to be very opinion based. All breeds have good & bad traits, that is one of the reason you need to go with a good breeder with experience with their dogs. A breeder should be able to help you deal with trouble spots as they happen & even many times before they happen.

Yah, I thought it was weird that the Brits were kind of mean to the other dogs. 3 dogs two different owners, both cases the owner had a house dog at home as well. Not sure if having a mean little ankle bitter living with a dog can have an influence or not. It seemed they broke down, mostly due to the thick cover we were in. Too thick to crawl throgh, too high for the smaller dogs to jump over.

Definitely find a good breeder. Like I said, I did have the most fun behind the Brit in the early winter.

]The lab is going to be the only one that can do everything, pheasant, duck, grouse etc.

Are you kidding me?????. You must be joking. I invite you hunting any time you want, Just tell me what bird you want to hunt for the day.I promise I will let your dog have at least 1 retrieve. grin

britts seem to get coldest faster cause most people that have them keep them inside all the time. My 7 month old French britt will hunt all day outside right now and not show any signs of being cold.

cant expect a house do to be worth a darn in a swamp all day, you just got to get them used to the weather.

LAB.

Remember that the dog will be a hunter for maybe 10% of its life (if its lucky) the other 90% it'll be a family dog. I hope you choose wisely.

Kylersk check out myoutdoortv.com click on hunting and view the Dogs Life series. They have short vids of different breeds working and talk briefly about the history of the breed. There are quite a few different breeds to see.

First you just have to decide what you would prefer flusher or pointing type breed. I've hunted behind both and enjoy a pointing breed more. But if killing pheasants and retrieving ducks were my main hunting objective then I'd own a Chessie. That's my personal choice for a number of reasons.Even after 2 rough seasons with an inexperienced versatile dog, I wouldn't go back to a flusher.

If you are not in a hurry and interested in a versatile breed, the NAVHDA training days start in April come check'em out.

I wouldn't worry about the 12 year commitment thing. Most dogs do fine in the house if rules are inforced and the pup is taught manners. What's O.K. in my house might not be in yours, it doesn't really matter. Thats the beauty of it, we can choose what's best for us.

As stated before do some research and take your time. Enjoy what you learn, then make a somewhat informed decision, and have some fun.

I am also trying to decide between a lab, springer, or german shorthair. I do about 80% pheasant and 20% waterfowl. My dad has a black lab that we hunt with, but she is 11 this year and we will need another hunter starting next year. Can a springer or gsp handle retrieving a goose, or am I better off sticking with a lab? I would like a dog that is a little smaller than my dads lab. She is 75 pounds, shes not overweight, just a big dog. I read that the average female lab is around 50-60 pounds, is this true? That sounds a little small to me but im not sure I guess. Also are labs known to have more health problems than springers or gsps? The reason I ask is because the lifespan of a lab is 10-12 years and springer and gsp is 13-14 years. Thanks for any advice.

Come on out to the club and we will show you what some Springers can do. I have a dog that will bring a goose back for you. If you go with a Springer you will want a nicely built male for your Goose hunting desires. My Male is as good as any lab in the water. He swims like an otter. He is about 50 long legged pounds.Here is one of his pups in Arkansas that was purchased to mostly duck hunt. I hunted with ESS for years waterfowl hunting. We raised Labs, short hairs and ESS. I now just own ESS.I just believe for me in MN that they are the most versatile dog for me. I have seen some Shorthairs that made nice waterfowl dogs as well. Most breeds if you get a good dog will be able to provide a dog that is versatile. For some to say one is the only one is just a [PoorWordUsage] statement. Here is Gus at 7 months in AR.

kansas11-10014.jpg

firstduck003.jpg

It looks like the britt and springer guys get a little defensive...

No doubt everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And there definately better dogs suited for better situations. Climate, terrain, and type of game is different in every state and to say a lab or springer is the best in all situations is wrong.

I'm a lab guy and always will be. Mine is with me whether I'm in a slough, CRP field, ice house or boat. Are Chess's better water dogs? Maybe. Are GSP's better upland dogs? Maybe. But are labs the most versitle? Probably.

I don't think they are the best at everything but they definately have to be the most versitle. I haven't seen many Springers used as water dogs (not saying they can't be) but I have seen many Labs as upland dogs. I haven't seen many GSP's retrieve geese either. Reality is Labs are used for a ton of different game situations as the other species are more game specific. My opinion based off of my own observations.

It looks like the britt and springer guys get a little defensive...

No doubt everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And there definately better dogs suited for better situations. Climate, terrain, and type of game is different in every state and to say a lab or springer is the best in all situations is wrong.

I'm a lab guy and always will be. Mine is with me whether I'm in a slough, CRP field, ice house or boat. Are Chess's better water dogs? Maybe. Are GSP's better upland dogs? Maybe. But are labs the most versitle? Probably.

I don't think they are the best at everything but they definately have to be the most versitle. I haven't seen many Springers used as water dogs (not saying they can't be) but I have seen many Labs as upland dogs. I haven't seen many GSP's retrieve geese either. Reality is Labs are used for a ton of different game situations as the other species are more game specific. My opinion based off of my own observations.

My observation is that Lab guys usually always try to say there dogs are the best or the most versatile. Is some one going to argue that, I guess so. smile

Every time this topic comes up I chuckle. Now the guy is probably all messed up from information/opinion overload.

Where is the original poster, I wonder how he feels now.

Kylersk asked for dog suggestions like so have many others in this forum & it always reverts to the Lab owners toughting that thier breed is superior above all gods creations. Yes labs have there place in the waterfowling world & limited abilities as upland bird dogs. But to say they are the "Do All" greatest thing next to sliced bread is going overboard. There are other breeds that can & will out perform labs hands down in the feild & the water. That is the great thing about breeds other than labs. Some get so single minded in here it has driven me to post this response. Lets help a fellow member do his research and quit making this "My breed is better than yours sally fest"

I was a former Chocolate Lab owner for 12 years before she passed on 2 years ago. I'm now the proud owner of 2 Wirehaired Pointing Griffons & 1 6 mo. old English Setter Pup. They are all novice trained by myself to be "Versatile gundogs" for NAVHDA & NASTRA events in the off season. By Versatile I mean to hunt all Species of Upland Birds, Ducks, Geese, & Blood tracking downed Big & Small Game alike for recovery. And that also entails working all sorts of terrain from the Midwest, The Plains, Southwest Deserts, & the Rocky Mountains where we live here in Montana.

So I would like everyone who is interested in other breeds than Labs to understand that with the right training, research, & effort you can find other versatile breeds that can and will perform as well if not better as an alternative to the Lab. Whether it be Upland Birds (Sharptail grouse, All Quail, Hungarian Partridge, Pheasants, Chukar, & Ptarmigan.), Ducks, & Geese your after or the local Peter cottontail.

Here is an example of my breeds working:

Griffons Duck hunting in Dec. Temp 15 deg. no need for a neoprene vest here!

full-488-4450-dscn0568.jpg

Griffon Goose hunting & retrieving on Jan. 2nd Temp 25 deg.!

full-488-4451-001.jpg

Griffon Sharptail hunting in high desert Temps near 90 in Sept!

full-488-4452-rudysharptails.jpg

Our English Setter Pointing Huns at 16 weeks old with Gun Fire!

full-488-4453-dscn0539.jpg

Good luck with your search Kyler

Regards,

Chris

I was to stupid to be able to find those words.LOL You hit the nail on the head there. Cool pictures. smile

If the main thing I hunted was waterfowl I would think of one of the retrieving breeds with a leaning towards springers. If I wanted an all around dog that will hunt upland, waterfowl, fur and also do blood tracking I would look at one of the versitale hunting dog breeds with DD/GWP, Giffons, and GSP at the top of my list. I perfer the DD's because of the controlled breeding and the heavier coat since I expect my dog to pull a sled on winter camping trips in the BWCA as well as hunt upland and waterfowl. Do alot of research on the breeder you decided on before you buy to make sure the breeder has the same thoughts of what makes for a sound dog as you do. When you buy you are buying a breeder as well as a pup.

full-22852-4459-ddandfox.jpg

I was just researching weimaraners, they look like good hunters and good family dogs. I noticed no one on here recommended them, is there a reason for that? I would like to get some input on here before I look into them more. Any advice?

Jack of all trades master of none.
This was meant to be funny, and I actually thought I had deleted it thinking some might take it the wrong way. For the record, I own Brittanys, Llewellin Setters, and just put a deposit down for a Golden. I have owned Springers & Cockers. I also enjoy hunting behind DD, GSP, Labs, & mixed breeds that are owned by friends & family.

I would recommend to anyone looking for a dog to talk to breeders of different dogs about how & what they want to hunt, most breeders will show you what their dogs can do. See as many as you can. Narrow it down to a few breeds and then visit multiple breeders and meet their dogs. Then you will have a good sense of what a breed standard is for size & temperament.

More important then breed is the time you are willing to spend training a dog. I don't care what anyone says about their dogs not needing much training or even that they train themselves. This simply is not the way it works. If you want a good hunting dog that hunts for you. You need to spend time training to help make it happen. There are no "get a hunting dog quick" breeds out there.

My standards for a hunting dog maybe higher than some other peoples, because of some of the dogs I have seen work. It is truly amazing to see a really good dog, do what it was trained to do (with good instincts) in the field and behave & respect every person and dog in a group. This happens through training & socialization. It is also not a quick process, but it is very attainable with time & patience.

I am sorry if my previous posts have offended anyone they were not meant to do so.

Weimies aren't that popular around here that could be why they weren't mentioned. I have only seen one in person and a few on vids and was not impressed. But to each his own.

IMO a person looking for their first hunting dog should stay away from "rare" breeds. And also should think twice about the popular breeds. It can be hard enough learning to work with a dog, and then 3 years later realize the dog isn't what you hoped for, maybe a dud. On the flip side, some dogs might too much for new owner to handle.

Whoever said the brit owners are defensive was right. wow. I think I have heard a lot more of you guys bashing labs then lab owners bragging.

I think going back to the original question, without looking back. It sounded like he was looking for a versitile dog, ducks, grouse, geese, pheasants. family dog. He also sounded like he didnt have a ton of dog training experience. The dog had to be good natured and able to get along with two Boxers.

I dont see any reason why you guys would get mad about anyone suggesting a lab.

It seems so obvious to me, that lab is going to be your best chance of encompassing all those traits.

Im sure all your dogs are great, but as I said. Your brits may retrieve ducks and your springers bring back a goose, and that lab might even point. But for the average guy, those things are not likely to happen.

I love the off breads, but for a first hunting dog, maybe not....By the way are they more expensive.

Regarding the riemriners, I know those things were in bread in back yards like no other 10-15 years ago, when there was a major population increase. Too bad too, cause I hear they can be awesome.

Oh and the best dog I have ever hunted behind.......a Mutt....2nd chocolate lab.

No body is mad, why do people always take some letters on a web site and automatically think the author is mad. My self, I just simply like to bring to light miss information, such as a person making the claim that a Lab is the only dog that will hunt ducks, pheasants, and grouse. And he appeared to be a Flabadore lover, thats all smile. Come on now people can't really believe that can ya. LOL, I actually got a kick out of the jack of all trades thing. I guess I would say that about good springers, but would have to change it to master of one, that being upland pheasant hunting. If we disagree, it does not mean people are screaming at the PC. I could probably have fun with any of you hunting or a cool cold activated one. Having owned Labs and Gsp's and liking them, I am a passionate Spaniel enthusiast now. I have thought about adding a wire hair to the mix just because I really like that dog as well, and I have never owned one. I feel the same way as kentuk_ike and what he said is a good piece of common sense. So now if you think I am mad, I am not. I suppose this type of thread has to be gone through by every one once.LOL

The right dog? Many have commented on thier favorite breed and the attributes associated to them. This is good information but breed is not the deciding factor in whether or not you have a good hunting / family companion.

I would suggest that breed is probably 3rd on the list.

1) How much time can you devote in training, maintaining / excersising your dog.

The time you can afford the dog is most critical in the first 6 mo. of its life and continues with a change in intensity for most of it's adult life. If you want a good dog but are not familiar with obedience and field training it may be well worth your while to contact a trainer that can start your dog in obedience as a puppy while teaching you commands and the finer arts of dog behavior. With a good trainer this will be worth it's weight in shotshells, high blood pressure medication and dog food. If you choose to do your own training prepare yourself to spend time every day in helping your dog understand what's fun, what's not fun and what you expect out of them. The maintenance is a requirement for both excersizing in general health terms and refining the lessons learned for most of the dogs adult life.

2) What is your current lifestyle and what are your specific preferences and expectations for the dog?

Are you an active person / outdoor enthusiast?

Socialization with other dogs/pets, family adults and children.

How often do you leave the dog unattended?

Describe your patience on a scale of one to 10, 10 being a saint.

Do you have room or facilities available for you to train?

Is the dog going to be indoors or oudoors. Family companion or utility or both?

Do you desire a male or female each have their own pro's and cons's (Breed stock or not?)

How much are you willing to spend for purchase and maintenance?

What climates do you intend to hunt geographically?

What is your favorite hunting style? Flushing or pointing or attributes of both?

Upland % Water %

What size of dog would you want / need? Large, small or somewhere in-between.

Suseptabiity to injury? Some breeds may require more attention or are more susceptable to congenital health problems that you should be aware of.

List your expectations out. What do you want from the dog - be as detailed as you can. I.e.: From come on command consistently to blind 200 yd retrieves.

3)Once you have esablished 1 and 2 you can now move into finding breed attributes that fit your list of expecations and preferences and best match your individual and family lifestyle.

The point I am trying to impart to you is that most people focus on breed, lending too much weight to the given attributes of the breed and don't focus on what makes that dog a hunting partner and/or family companion. Breed lends some natural characteristics to make the training process simpler but does not make the dog.

I have trained hunting partners and family companions for over 26 years and some of the best well rounded animals have not been pure breds. I have trained / owned Springer's, Irish Setters, Chesapeakes, Golden's, Labrador's and mixes. I am sure the thought of a mixed breed being as proficient as Joe's exemplary blood lined, titled 45 character AKC registration will raise some hackles but it is simply fact after all what is a recognized "breed" just a mix that has been bred through the ages in an attempt to bring out qualities we think make our jobs easier. New breeds are being recognized all of the time and I believe one was mentioned in an earlier post - Labradoodle?!

If you find yourself wondering about any of the concepts here I would be happy to help you make sense of it. If you would like to chat please post to this reply and add your email address.

Good Luck!

XRap

Man, this is a tough choice!

I'd love to get a GWP. From my limited (google search) they appear to be one of the better all around hunting dogs. Just not sure how they'd do with a cat/cats in the house.

Right now I think Springer Spaniel might be my front runner. My father had one (I'm guessing show since he never hunted with it) and she was a great dog.

Labs are also in the mix.

I just dont know. I've never trained a hunting dog, so maybe I should start reading some books on that before deciding?

My wife on the other hand would love to get another Boxer (and I would too) but I really want my next dog to be able to hunt.

With that said, maybe I'm looking for a house dog that could also hunt if trained? I'm guessing GWP's are out, but Spaniels and Labs are definatly in?