• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for dog suggestion?

Kylersk

I just started pheasant hunting this year and had a blast! After watching a dog work the field, I would love to get a hunting dog.

I'm looking for a pup that will be able to hunt pheasants, grouse and maybe retrieve ducks. This dog must be able to get along with Children, my boxer and our house cats. It would also be a part of our family (house dog).

I've just started my research in the pro's and con's of each type of dog.. so any suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FCspringer

• Kylersk

• kentuck_ike

• JJK

I'd have to say your descriptions fits a Lab perfectly.

Others may have other opinions, and I am a Lab guy as I will hopefully have one around as long as I live, but they are a versatle, all around good family dog from my experience.

Mine hunts early and mid season ducks, a lot of roosters in all conditions and ruffed grouse hear and there. She's also great company in the fish house and is content with laying on a rug in the kitchen.

Well, take your time and give it a lot of thought. You have one dog now, and a cat. Adding a "hunting dog" will increase your responsibility load quite a bit. Before you grab a new puppy maybe read some stuff, watch some videos, talk with folks who have a hunting dog. Talk it over with wife. And be sure to chat with the boxer and the cat. (s)

Go slow. You owe it to yourself and to any possible new puppy.

Ufatz,

Thanks for the response. Over the past 13 or more years, I think we've had 2 dogs for probably 6-7 years of that time but never had a hunting dog. Prior to that, we've had those darn cats forever! I thought we got rid of them, but the kids decided they wanted a cat. Now we are back to 2 again. wink

Anyways, outside of having 2 boxers at a time, what does a 'hunting dog' add to that challenge?

Take a look at brittanys, useless you want a flusher. Britts are alittle smaller and can be awesome family dogs. I have a bunch of them, and I havbe 4 kids from 9 yrs old down to 6 yrs. I also have pups. If you want to see them work in the field just let me know. I have 150 acres of CRP that we could go out on.

Look at shorthairs as well. They have excellent dispositions, and will happily do all you want in the field. I'll never have a different breed.

I would have to agree with Ryan on gsp's. We have one and will never go to a different breed. They are awesome in the field and great in the house. Not as much hair on stuff and he gets along with our weiner dog very well. The puppy stage was tough though. They are very high energy dogs. We were very strict with him as a puppy and now (hes 19 months) he is very well mannered in the house and field! Training was very easy as it came instinctively to him. We have no kids but the ones hes been around hes done great. CATS WOULD BE A PROBLEM THOUGH! Good luck!

From what yu have described I can't thnk of a better dog than a LAB, thats why they are the most popular (it has it's downfalls as well) but really if you want a family/hunting dog that you can live with and will hunt everything, then theres your answer, golden will fit the bill as well.

If you don't think adding a "hunting dawg" to the mix at home will amount to much more of a challenge, then you haven't considered all the training, birds and time it takes to produce a trully good gundog.

Todd, It's not that I dont think it'll add to the challenge.. I was just asking what it does add. I guess I'm not sure how much work is required to train a hunting dog.

Golden Retriever or springer.

Goldens are an all around dog. Perfect family pets, loyal like no other, and will hunt all day.

Springers can be all around hunters, are insanely awesome family dogs, but can be a little bit hyper.

Neither would disappoint you.

Just throwing a curve ball here, but I would also look at what dogs would get along with boxers. Not knocking them but I am friends with a dog day care/boarding facility in the area and most of the boxers that come in just cant seem to play with other dogs properly. They are either too rough or take playing the wrong way and start some trouble. I personally dont have one cuz I like my lab and Gsp. Just something else to consider.

I'm assuming your looking for a flusher based on the types you listed already.

I guess you cant go wrong with a lab for water and field. My Gsp is good in the field and the couch grin.

Mule, I know that British labs, Labs, Golden Retriever, Chesapeak Bay Retriever, German Shepard and a few others get along with Boxers. My family owns the above and our boxers have gotten along with all of them. Maybe not played with them all, but they knew who they could play with and who to leave alone. The Chessies have always been the 'Alpha' dog and didnt want to play with the others.

Retriever/Flusher = Chessie

Pointing/Versatile = German Wirehair, German Shorthair, or maybe Griffon.

From what you described one of these breeds should suit you well. I've owned, lived with, and hunted over a chessie and a wirehair, been very pleased with both in the house with the family and in the field.

Good Luck

Without a doubt I would look into Britts. Mine is the most gentle, calm dog around people that you could imagine. Plays well with the German Shepherd, and is a great dog in the field. He took VERY minimal training and is outstanding for pheasants and grouse. He isn't a duck dog, though. If you haven't hunted with pointers before, I would highly recommend spending some time with a good one. I would bet your decision will be made much easier wink

I've seen some good GSP too, but I like the temperment and size of my britt much more.

Just as important as the breed itself, once you decide on what you want, do LOTS of research on breeders and bloodlines to make sure you get exactly what you want in a dog. Good luck!

This question comes up pretty often and I always answer the same way.

Start off with how you would like to hunt. Do you want a pointer, or a flusher. This will narrow the search considerably. Then start to look at the different breeds within these divisions. Look at things such as size, breed temperment, hair length, shedding, etc.

Hunting dogs are different than most other breeds becasue they have much higher energy levels than regular dogs. Many of the hunting breeds are very high strung and need to be worked phyically and mentally. This is more than some people can handle. Long hair dogs can be a PIA with burrs and mud after a long hunt.

When I started my search, I LOVE pointers, and wanted a short hair dog. This narrowed my search considerably. I ended up with a Viszla, and am currently on my second one, and don't think I will own a different breed to dog. I will not tell you this is the right choice for you, but I love them.

Let us know what you decide and post pictures when you decide.

I grew up with Labs - awesome dogs - hunting and family. My wife got tired of vacuuming hair twice a day. Dogs are in whenever we are home. So I spent a year looking/asking/hunting with and for other breeds. Ended up getting a Springer. I was pleasantly surprised how similar the Springer's temprament was to a Lab. I was expecting a much more hyper dog in the house, but mine turned out to be very calm. A lot is training and setting expectations, but they are not as hyper as English Pointers etc. As far as shedding goes - nothing is as bad as a Lab or Golden Retriever. Springers shed but it is a totally different coat, so it doesn't compare.

All in all my opinion is you can't go wrong with a Lab or Springer. If I would have wanted a pointing dog it was going to be a German Shorthair, but I didn't want to listen for a beeper all day when hunting heavy cover.

Good Luck with your new addition.

For an all around dog (pheasant, grouse, duck, family, etc) you can't go wrong with a lab. They are generally "good" at everything. Pay special attention to bloodlines/hips/eyes, and spend the few extra dollars upfront to get a good one with the traits you are looking for (this goes for all breeds, too).

If you thinking more grouse and pheasant, instead of duck/goose, you won't go wrong with a Brittany, Setter, or GSP.

I have a lab now, and she is great. I don't do as much duck hunting as I used to, and a lot more grouse and pheasant. My next dog will probably be a GSP.

You cant go wrong with a lab unless you dont research the breeding. There are all kinds of traits out there that I dont particularly care for, but thats me. More expensive doesnt mean you wont get an inferior bred dog with problems. I wouldnt buy a dog (Lab or Golden)that didnt come with a structural guarantee of some sort.

Short list:

Black Lab.

German Shorthaired Pointer

Golden Retriever

Brittany

German Wirehair Pointer.

I hunted over a Labradoodle last year and there is alot to be said about that breed also.

As you can see, this is primarily a personal preference. I would suggest much depends upon what percent of each type of hunting you do (grouse, pheasant, duck). I'll throw in my 2 cents:

If you do equal amounts of each, I would go with a lab.

If you do primarily pheasant, some grouse, and limited waterfowl, I would go with a springer.

If you do mostly grouse, some pheasant, and limited waterfowl, I would consider one of the pointing breeds.

I could give specifics on my thoughts above but it primarily comes down to personal preference in what I like to see from a hunting dog in each of the game birds.

I realize you are asking for opinions but, this question is largely based on your personal preferrences. As you can see from the responses, everyone has their own preferred breed.

Your pup will need to be of a breed that is right for you and your family. The best thing you can do is be around as many different breeds as you can. In particular the ones that you are interested in and start from there. Talk to people about their hunting dogs and hunt over them if you can. Hunting styles are as different as the breeds themselves.

Now with all that said, I would encourage you to look at the springer spaniel. They are great with kids. They hunt hard for their owners no matter the species you are hunting. They are smaller for being in the house and get along with everyone including other dogs.

Good luck in your search.

Just throwing a curve ball here, but I would also look at what dogs would get along with boxers. Not knocking them but I am friends with a dog day care/boarding facility in the area and most of the boxers that come in just cant seem to play with other dogs properly. They are either too rough or take playing the wrong way and start some trouble. I personally dont have one cuz I like my lab and Gsp. Just something else to consider.

I'm assuming your looking for a flusher based on the types you listed already.

I guess you cant go wrong with a lab for water and field. My Gsp is good in the field and the couch grin.

I have a GSP and my friends have a boxer. Both get along excellent with each other. They will run for hours back and forth across the yard. I never thought I would see a dog give my GSP a run for the money, but she sure has his number.

If you are going to focus on Pheasants and do some duck hunting I think a GSP would be a great choice. I know guys use them late into the season for ducks, but I think its just plain cruel due to their short coat, but thats just me.

IMO you cannot find a better upland bird dog, but they do require more attention than other breeds because they do tend to have a lot of energy, but if your boxer is at all like the one my friends have, you should be used to it.

Since your boxer must be friendly with the cats now, I am sure that any dog can be converted, but I will tell you, my GSP just LOVES cats. I mean, he would chase the one we had all over, he thought he was playing, the cat on the other hand, DID NOT. LOL

From what you describe a Springer. I have used mine as much for water as I did any of my past labs. They are excellent early to mid season waterfowl dogs. The upland side is fantastic and they are a great house dog. As said be sure your Boxer will tolerate another dog. I would get a golden before I would get another Lab. But for my needs which are about the same as yours, I will have Springers till I can't walk. Good luck

Easy answer - Brittany. Call Ben (Kentucky Ike).

That said, what ever breed you select make sure you buy your dog from someone that is breeding hunting dogs. I prefer small professional outfits, but I suppose a local bred pup is fine - If the parents are both solid bird dogs.

Not only are the genetics for hunting traits important, but also for reducing the chance that you will have a 10 - 15 year partner that has a genetic disease. Small professional breeders stand behind their dogs, certify their breeding stock, have a reputation to maintain which means your chances of having a genetic related problem is reduced.

Don't fall into a common Minnesota lab criteria that bigger is better. You do not need a 100 pound lab.

In the South and now even in Minnesota (amature and pro dog trainers) you are seeing darn good labs with the female around 50 - 55 pounds and the male around 60 pounds. The take up less space in the home, kennel, boat, or blind. Eat less food. Quicker in the uplands.

Todd, It's not that I dont think it'll add to the challenge.. I was just asking what it does add. I guess I'm not sure how much work is required to train a hunting dog.

Short answer, and realizing it really depends what you expect of your dog....but IMO working with the dog at least 10-15 min every day (year round when they are young). This would be doing training/drills away from the house, preferably in a park or something (obviously ends up taking more time with driving and getting set up). I also recommend one good walk a day starting at a young age (off road) in various terrain similar to what a dog would be hunting (fields, woods, etc). I believe this is very valuable to the hunting dog. Then you have time reading/studying a training program so you are progressing in the right order/direction. Equipment, gun intro (may need to drive out of town multiple times), live birds, etc. There is a lot that goes in to it. It is fun and rewarding...but takes dedication/consistency to keep after it if you really want a sound hunting partner.

If you want a good family dog - Lab

If you are going to hunt pheasants - Lab

If you are going to hunt grouse - Lab

If you are goint to hunt ducks - Lab

If you want to know where every deer turd in the woods is - Lab

If you want to know if you kid has put food between the couch cushion - Lab

If you want a dog that loves to hunt but is lazy as hibernating bear in the house - Lab.

If you would like to see urine on every lamp post, hydrant, random tree in town, anywhere any other dog has taken a leak - Male Lab.

If you would like to see urine on every lamp post, hydrant, random tree in town, anywhere any other dog has taken a leak - Male Lab.

Mine pees on everything. Its crazy! smile

Another suggestion, come on out and see the dogs in action. You can come here for a hunt or training demo any time. Look at what you want to buy. Then we will see what you prefer and go home with that fits you the best. Go watch a Britt duck hunt, watch a Springer in the water as well, check them all out, and the house dog thing, thats not too hard to figure out which breeds are more suitable for that. But go check them all out. Your looking at a 14 year or so investment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at dogs with titles in there back ground. Many dogs that compete hunt more then they compete and do it better because of it. Most people involved in say trials are keeping a higher standard and doing the health screening. Yes a healthy dog should be looked for and not one from someone who does no health testing, along with a guarantee. It is clear yes to see what breed is the most dominantly owned by people, however, it is also clear to see which ones are bred back yard and also have the most health trouble. Which ones are a dime a dozen and which ones you see for free often. Do the math, do your home work, get some guys to take you out and see what the different breeds can offer you land and water, Then picture which one you really can have in your house. That way you will have an educated decision and not one based on "Little Jimmy says his dog is the best, OH Boy" smile get out there.