• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rice Lake

jb_bobber

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MinnetonkaMan

• daddyducker

• Lost Cause

• Genofish

Talked to a reliable source that lives on the lake. The main part froze over on Thanksgiving. He saw people in the shallow bay on Sunday. They have to be crazy there cant be that much ice. I would check for your self also because I have a feeling this year is going to be another slushy and slow starter!!!!!

Thinking of heading out on Sunday morning. How far are guys going out and how much ice? Interested on snow total on the lake too!

Minners...thinking of rice sunday too. might meet up with you.

I see that NOBODY has responded. Good news for us that nobody fishes this lake anymore. I'm sure the ice is good, shy of the open water in the river area. I'll be posting pics of the fish I catch.

Good Luck

DD

Hey guys, If you went out there Im guessing a bunch of you were the perms out by the rock bar. Be careful venturing out any further mostly three inches of good ice in the main lake. I haerd this from a person that checked it this morning from his cabin. Just be careful so no one loses their life anymore this ice fishing season the fish bit all the way until ice out last year!!!! Also I would like to hear ice reports on that side of the lake and I dont care about fishing spots because I left a spot this fall that my buddy said he saw white tips today on his camera!! Good luck to all be safe and have a fun early ice season chasing them eyes.

I was out the monday after thanksgiving and only caught small perch and one northern on a tip up.I was wondering if he eyes have started biting and hows the ice after this snow. if anyone has been out here could you hook me up with some info.

A couple of guys that have been in to Cabela's have been out there but haven't had much luck yet. Some of the metro lakes are starting heat up but I haven't heard anything good about the Cloudy town lake region yet. Some pike and pannies action but not much for eyes. After the cold snap lets up I would expect a solid bite around sunday/monday.

Ice is good in the bay and gets thinner as you go. Driving wheelers in the bay, but I don't know if I would take one all the way across. After this week though, it will probably be good to drive one anywhere out there. Was out on Sunday and did ok. A couple crappie, a couple eyes, a couple perch, and a rouge snoot. Was all over the lake and caught everywhere I went. Fish are there, you just have to know where to go. Barometer was at 30.41 when I went out but wasn't an issue because it was a consistant week of 30's.

Fish should be biting through the week and into the weekend all over the area.

Good luck if you get out.

I know they were running wheelers in that direction, so you could probably get on one of those and go.

How much snow is on the lake? Will it inhibit ice production these next few cold days or is it fluffy enough that the cold can get through it. Also did u see any perms being brough out?

snow about 6" but light and fluffy. still going to insulate but not as bad as a heavy wet snow. permanents in the bay and looked like a couple starting to head out for deeper water.

The 6" will slow ice making. We were out last weekend and the ice varried GREATLY! What was 4-5 in is some spots was only 2-3 in others. They bays were locked up pretty good but the main lake is a bit sketchy at this point. Not many if any perms out on the main lake. If venturing out to the main lake this weekend be careful! I will be walking if I go....

Has the lake ever stopped producing crappies or is it always like last year. If no one wants to post pm me. Thanks for the updates too it sucks being at college as a senior during finals week when all my buddies that didnt go to college keep sending me pics of multiple nice eyes and limits of crappies droping into a frying pan while taking a finals test. I hope I pass Lol

Last year wasn't as good as the year before.... The lake gets hit SO hard I don't know how a crappie could survive. Seems to be going downhill from here.... Don't know how to pm anyone but if you want to email me feel free. wildmn09 at hotmail dot com

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Always crappies but the size really cycles. What everyone is catching now is from one heck of a hatch where it all came together for the slabs. Good thing that 90+% of houses are in 3 spots on the lake. Crappies and eyes are more spread out than that.

Right on Borch , if u really want to catch fish you need to scout like any other wildlife. The biggest last year was a 13 inch white and the rest that were kept were from 10 and above. Also the eyes and pike were a nice mix in on the tip ups grin

My budies didnt catch these fish on Rice either havent heard any reports yet of catching anything. My budies found a nice lake near the metro.

There have always been some white crappies in Rice but it's been a while since I've caught one.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

About 15 yrs or so ago we use to catch quite a few whites on our rattle rig setups for walleyes. Alot of those fish ran 14- 15 inches plus. Havent caught one for quite a few yrs now out there but I always here of one caught every so often.

I've been hearing about 8+ inches with about 5 inches of that being good clear ice. Much different story on the main lake though.

anyone been out yet since this weekend? wondering how it help up. my father inlaw said lakes by him down in the metro had the ice sink underwater.

lots of drifts! I brought my boys out Sunday and to those who drove past me while i was dragging the house back to cyrilla beach with my tongue hanging out....for the Christmas spirit! Holy [PoorWordUsage]! And to those of you driving the cars out to your house...you can make it out but to those who are out there already I hope your boots are water proof because the water will be flying!!!

last year i was catching the crappies about 10' off the bottom in 20-25 fow during early ice, havent had time to make it out yet this year, the work season went a little long.