• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin the Chain '11

Hey just wanted to get an update on how the roads are, only have a car and was wondering if it is possible to make it out at all on the lake or if its still best on the road.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• DTro

• Brad B

• osok

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can make it up and down the hill on 22 the road on the lake is in great shape to the meth hole.The hill on the cedar island side would be more suited for a car but the horseshoe side can be done. We got a few inches of new powder snow on the lake and a tiny bit of slush here and there but overall travel is pretty easy.

Officers Thesing and Vanderweyst were on the lake this afternoon and I had inquired about the ice conditions on the lakes to the east. They had informed me that Schneider and Bolfing had about the same ice as the shoe while some of the places on Great northern and Zumwalle wouldnt even be safe for sled travel yet.

The afternoon bite was far beter than the primetime bite today. Found the fish 20-30ft down over 4o-43ft of water most of the day. Had to move around quite a bit to stay on top of them so it was more like fishing for panfish with all the hole jumping. The 1/8 glow red buckshot/ minnow head combo got almost all the fish and the 1/16 pink frostee got the rest. Between two of us we ended up catching around 25-30 cats and quite a few bonus fish wink

I'm heading up there Saturday, hoping I can have good luck like I did last year. When I was there before prime time was right around sunset so I'm planning on getting there between one and two. Is that early enough or is there good reason to be there earlier? Also the spot I had the most success in was 30 ft deep in the meth hole area, is that still a good depth to start at or should we try deeper? I wish I had time to search for new spots but since I don't I will stick to the meth hole for now. Thanks for all the reports and tips so far, this site is great. I will be driving a black gmc jimmy and fishing in a blue clam guide, hope to so you out there.

I hate to say this but if you are truely pressed for time just fish where every one else is fishing. whistle You should do ok. 30 ft is a good starting point and you should find some fish there but the mother schools could be deeper or shallower as they have been moving around the basin quite a bit as of late.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I may be out on the ice tomorrow. Trying to decide Cedar Island or Horseshoe.

I may also be up there at some point this weekend, I'd like to venture elseware than the Meth hole but thats the only area I've ever fished. Maybe I'll pull up a map and see what looks interesting.

Lots of cats in Cedar Island too. Look for the deeper holes and there will likely be some cats in the along with crappies and otehr fish.

I am taking a trip to the shoe tomorrow. How is the DNR and winter access holding up? I am pulling a trailer with a truck so my weight will be heavy. Do I need to watch out for any bad spot other than the obvious flowage by the bridge going into east lake?

just too reiterate to some of the recent viewers, there are cats in large numbers through out the entire system. just can be difficult and dangerous to access other areas. as borch points out...find some deeper water/holes/basins and you should be into or close to the fish. just be really careful in areas where the lakes narrow! do a little research and you might be surprised what a sincere and polite door knock might get you, follow that up with a few bucks or unintended catches of some fresh crappie or walleye filets..you might get permanent access to some literally unfished honey holes. good luck, have fun, and be safe!

How is the DNR and winter access holding up? I am pulling a trailer with a truck so my weight will be heavy. Do I need to watch out for any bad spot other than the obvious flowage by the bridge going into east lake?

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT try to use the dnr summer access to get on horseshoe lake. The 22 winter access is the only place the general public can drive onto the lake. Other than that just follow the road and you should be fine.

The Public access that is shown on the DNR maps is actually in the river. there is current there and it is not thick ice. The winter access is not a true dnr access but you will know it when you see it. BE CAREFUL OUT BY THE METH HOLE. A large heavy rig would go down in a second in that area if you are not careful. look at the map on the cool cat get together thread and you will see where the meth hole is at. the actual hole will move around from year to year.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

As riverfishingmiss said guys don't ever go out of the public access with vehicles it's not safe!! Use the winter access area farther up the rd as stated you will definately notice it. A few guys out there this morning rd out looks fine if ventureing out have some fun!

Thanks for the information! Is there a bait station in Richmond? I haven't been out that way in a long time.

IceHawk do you by chance have a wheelhouse on the lake?

Thorshammer The shell station in coldspring is a good place and so is southside gas and bait in Richmond and this is right on 23 on the right side just before the turn onto 22.

RFM what color is your wheelhouse? Might have to stop in and say hey if you're around this evening. Not sure what time, we are probably going to check out a couple other spots east of hwy 22 (Cedar Island, etc).

I will be in the porty for awhile, green otter and there will be a purple otter somewhere nearby me. Silver blazer black and brown trailer. I will be hunting around a bit but should be able to spot me laugh

Got up to the chain yesterday in the snow. Well after last night, I'm thinking about starting a new topic called "Rock Bassin' on the chain." Man, they were out in full force last night.

Ended with some weird numbers, 9 kittys (mostly 16"-19"). 3 Eyes. Couple crappies and prob 6 rockbass.

I myself fished outside in the snow till it was pitch black, there was no good solid concentration of fish. And they seemed to be skittish when they were around.

Should be up again Sunday night to check out the scene. I would say 4 more inches of snow and shes gonna start getting sloppy again, that's for sure. After 3 straight weeks of chasing these guys I think its safe to say it.

My name is Brad, and I have a really good problem...... Kittys.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Riverfishingmiss- I don't have a House out there my permanent is out on Rice for walleyes. I usally just bounce around with one of my traps on the chain. We should fish together sometime or compare notes. I grew up on the chain and have fished it for over 30 yrs. It is one of my favorite bodies of water!!

Was out there yesterday by the meth hole n cedar island ended up catch one cat n couple nice craps. Bsg were u fishing outside by urself around 40 ftnear meth?

Hit Cedar Island and ended up with a pile of crappies with a couple of nice channels mixed in. Caught fish on 1/16 oz Lindy Rattlin Flyer spoons with a chunk or chub, deadstick with a demon or a Lindy fat boy with a micro minnow plastics.

Just got home a bit ago. We did a bunch of searching for some bigger fish on a few different lakes. Pretty slow and we only got a handful.

I did end up getting one pretty nice one that went 28".

Nice to finally meet you out there RFM.

full-105-5062-001.jpg

I also got on the crappies pretty good today frown Big school too some times 10-12ft thick.

Aanderud , Dtro It was good to finaly meet you guys and congrats on that pig 28in cat .

BSG, I also met your buddie out there this afternoon and I tryed to steer him in the right direction. How did he end up doing?

All I can say about the bite is that its been hit and miss latley and tonight was a miss. got 9 cats between 3 of us. I sure do miss the days of early Dec. when I thought that 20 fish a night per person was slow.

Nice Fish Dtro. I am heading up that way tomorrow morning and we are staying through Monday night so if anyone is out there feel free to stop by and [PoorWordUsage]. Blue Dodge Ram with a blue flip over and a smaller black flip over house. We will be somewhere on Horseshoe. The guy at the Shell station in Cold Spring was pretty helpful and they got a decent bait shop set up for first-timers up there.

Good to meet you too, RFM. Yesterday must have been a better daytime bite. We had only a handful of cats in total, but only one or two of those came after it was completely dark out. Dtro, you didn't mention the huge walleye you caught! (9 inches or so). I'm going to blame the full moon for the lack of night bite. Might as well blame something smile