• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wall mount quality Lake Vermilion Map

Anyone have a source of a good map of Vermilion for wall mount purposes? I've got the Fisher map, Hot Spots map, Lakemaster map. Looking for something more interesting, bigger, don't need contour or fishing related.

Thanks,

I am looking forward to seeing the responses as well. I have always wanted to put a very large high quality sort of map or picture of Lake Vermilion on a large high interior wall.

what size map are we talking here? what are you interested on seeing on it? names of islands..points? contours?

I am looking forward to seeing the responses as well. I have always wanted to put a very large high quality sort of map or picture of Lake Vermilion on a large high interior wall.

Buy the USGS topo maps that cover vermilion. Cut and paste to make whole lake on some sort of backing like masonite or posterboard. I have most of the quadrangles, laminated in plastic.

Sticking them all together to make a map of the whole lake would really be cool. I think it is 6 or 7 maps.

Contact Todd Ronning of Two Harbors. He hand routs the nicest maps I've seen on Birch, Maple, or Tammarack panels that he makes himself. Beautiful craftsmanship and detail of any lake you want.

They are a bit spendy, but a once in a lifetime purchase.

I have two of his maps, will try to take a picture of one and email it to Steve Foss and see if he will post it. Being a computer illiterate, I am unable to do this myself! frown

about 8 or 10 years ago i purchased a walnut lazer engraved map of the lake which is one of my prized possesions, it is about 12 x 18 ,it was made by winterwood company in Angora if they are still around i dont know? i bought it at Silent Prints in Cook get a hold of em they can probably help you out !plus he is an awesome woodworker also he does picture frames.

Minnesota Bookstore has this listed for 33 dollars.

Set of 6 lake depth maps from the Department of Natural Resources - five sheets measure 22" x 34", 1 sheet measures 24" x 44". These maps are printed on bond paper.

Casey,

I want it bigger than 2 ft x 3 ft. Maybe 4 ft x 3 ft...could be bigger. I haven't seen many maps where islands or points are labeled. That maybe nice but unnecessary.

I was hoping not to piece something together.

Looking for something that'll look good on a wall. Just in the finished basement...

mbeyer, I think there's definitely a market for a map like that. I've been in a lot of places on V, and seen a lot of maps on walls, and I can't recall anything like what you want.

Hope someone else knows of something. smile

mbeyer, I think there's definitely a market for a map like that. I've been in a lot of places on V, and seen a lot of maps on walls, and I can't recall anything like what you want.

Hope someone else knows of something. smile

Stevo,

I emailed you a picture of a Burntside map done by Todd Ronning that's 22 x 20, and has been hand routed on a 3/4 inch thick Tamarack panel. He can make those maps any size a person requests. Why don't you post it so the forum can see it?

I think the set of 6 maps I was talking about are supposed to be (or could) put edge to edge. That would make some fantastic wallpaper or tape them to the ceiling in the bedroom and dream about where to fish next! cool

See this thread i started back in June...

Detailed Vermilion Map

I think there's a market for this. For a high quality, detailed, 4'x3' map with all bay names and most island names, i'd be willing to pay $100. I'd really like a paper map that i could mount, rather than a routed wood map.

See this thread i started back in June...

Detailed Vermilion Map

I think there's a market for this. For a high quality, detailed, 4'x3' map with all bay names and most island names, i'd be willing to pay $100. I'd really like a paper map that i could mount, rather than a routed wood map.

I figured out how you can do it. Here are the steps.

1. Go to the USGS store and download the 7.5 minute quadrangles that cover Lake Vermilion. Or some other mapping products that they have that you like. Digital data is free.

2. Put the data into a program like photoshop (regular, elements) or some other equivilent like GIMP. Make a collage, panorama, whatever of the data.

3. Go to a site that you can find by searching on "digital printing services" and look at banners or posters. The one I found is called "art in printing" about which I really know nothing but they will print a nice color banner/poster 4 by 3 feet for $60 (on paper). You upload the image and away you go. They have alternatives to paper, like vinyl for a little more money.

I am sure there are other places that do prints like that.

That will get you the detailed map. They also have a 100k to one (30 by 60 minutes) that I think has the whole area that you could cut out the shape you want. It would have less resolution but might be ok.

I hope this helps. A nice winter project.

Well, i just might try that this winter! I'll probably use Adobe Illustrator, though...good test run for my new 64-bit/8Gb Windows 7 machine. I'll keep everyone informed.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any pictures they could post? Again, I would be looking for a very large map possibly even larger than the 4' x 3' that was mentioned earlier in the thread

I did get a note from mapmakerandy. Sounded like the best option which is a custom map. Cost would depend on how much detail, size and time spent making the map.

Would you want to spend 100-200 bucks?

I have yet to come up with a real good answer.

I think the custom printers on the internet can print stuff up to the size of billboards, although it might come as panels. All you have to do is create the image.

Hmm, wonder if you could start with lakemaster? Do they still sell the computer versions? that would be the best place to start.

I have one hanging in the bar. Its a Fishing Hotspots map. i just called them up and they enlarged it, laminated it and shipped it out for $70. Its about 36 x 72

mbeyer- what map is that one? I wouln't mind getting one like that laminated and hanging at the cabin.

It looks like a standard Fisher map that you'd get a the outdoor store for the BWCA and other areas. It's also only the east end of the lake. We've got one of the old non-politically-correct Fisher maps from the 60s with all of the indian cartoon stuff on Vermilion. It's kind of funny but not too accurate.

We have also been looking for a nice, framed lake map to hang in the cabin and have not been able to find one.

Kind of hard to believe with all the junk you can find in stores up there-especially that girly shop--forgot the name right before cook---But my wife went there one day---I went with and they had everything but a nice framed map like the ones you guys are talking about.

Who wants to go through the work of ordering and framing and getting glass---I just want to buy one and hang it up.

Might be something you resort owners or business owners can stock---It seems like you would sell quite a few---I would buy one.

Right now my thought is just to buy that good quality lake master contour map and have it laminated and framed.

It looks like a standard Fisher map that you'd get a the outdoor store for the BWCA and other areas. It's also only the east end of the lake. We've got one of the old non-politically-correct Fisher maps from the 60s with all of the indian cartoon stuff on Vermilion. It's kind of funny but not too accurate.

Another trouble with the old, politically incorrect map is that they continued using it for years and years, and kept pasting new businesses over the top of it. So it's a lot of busy-ness, and extra stuff, and, oh yeah, it's really not that good to begin with.

We have also been looking for a nice, framed lake map to hang in the cabin and have not been able to find one.

Kind of hard to believe with all the junk you can find in stores up there-especially that girly shop--forgot the name right before cook---But my wife went there one day---I went with and they had everything but a nice framed map like the ones you guys are talking about.

Who wants to go through the work of ordering and framing and getting glass---I just want to buy one and hang it up.

Might be something you resort owners or business owners can stock---It seems like you would sell quite a few---I would buy one.

Right now my thought is just to buy that good quality lake master contour map and have it laminated and framed.

Country Roads. In an old church. They have added a few guy dishes to the menu along with the quiche.

From a custom map maker in Duluth:

We provide a number of services, one of which is making custom maps. From what I've read you're looking for a map of Lake Vermilion that is pretty basic. There are a lot of options we can put on a map.

-lake boundaries

-rivers/streams

-roads

-towns

-labels for islands, bays, channels etc.

-lake contour lines

-land contour lines

-aerial imagery

-lake elevation shading

-land elevation shading

-and almost anything else

As far as cost goes, we charge for our time putting the map together, the charge for this map probably being in the $50 to $100 range. Printing is a separate charge and depends on what size and material you want printed on. There are numerous options for that as well.

• 10 years later...

I wanted to revive this thread. Over the last ten years I am wondering if other options have come up. I would love to have like a 4' x 6' (or even larger) map to hang in the cabin on a wall I panned to mount trophy fish (obviously that didn't work out).

Our kids got us this for a gift a few years ago. It's 16x20, don't know if they do different sizes. Had to get my wife's crappie in the photo?IMG_20210525_175545780.thumb.jpg.5782ac6506f78d0fa3b33a87cf55028a.jpg

IMG_20210525_175853169.jpg

Edited by CigarGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1