• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Arago

Current Rooster Reports

Walleye Guy

Hunted near Starbuck on Tuesday and Wednesday. Four of us got 12. The land we have is primarily used for deer hunting so it doesn't get touched much for pheasants. We had the best luck pushing the brushy and cane filled areas and chasing the birds into the snow filled CRP fields. We had three unusual birds in the bag. Two roosters that were at least 2.5 years old. Spurs were 7/8 inch long with white tips. Very large birds. One is going to end up on the hunting shack wall. The other weird bird was one that was very small as pheasants go. It was mostly colored like a rooster but had some weird dark and light coloring on the tail feathers and breast. The head was plumed like a rooster and it had fairly long tail feathers. It did not have any spurs. It was not a hen but there was something funky going on.

We had two times where a dog pointed a rooster where we could see the roosters head sticking out of the snow. The bird busted out of the snow. Way cool to see.

Hopefully this rain will help expose food and minimze the effects of the deep snow.

scsavre

Get some pics up Walleye guy. I love to see any pheasant pictures, much less the ones that you have to go through 2 feet of snow, oh and 7/8 inch spur, I gotta see it. How long was the tail, if you measured?

scsavre

By the way, I hunted not too far from that area and shot kind of a funky bird too. Mine was early season so I grouped it as a young rooster. Darn near looked like a rooster had its way with a chukar.

Walleye Guy

A guy in our group took some pictures. We took a close up of the long spur. Hopefully it turned out. Not sure if there was an individual picture of the weird looking rooster. I do know it was included in the group shots however. I'll post once they are emailed to me.

123fish

Went out and closed the season on a giant WMA in Murray county. Jumped a bunch of birds out of a group of cedars and managed a nice longspur to end the season. Tried to reflush some of the birds that busted out of the cedars but to no avail. If you weren't walking a deer trail through the cattails you pretty much weren't walking at all. Tough going for the old dog and me both. Nice to get the dog one last retrieve. There was a small food plot of corn close to where I shot the rooster and he had a full crop of corn and was absolutely layered in yellow fat. Hopefully the remaining winter won't be too tough on these guys.

chub

Ended the season on a decent note.

Over and out.

IMG00136-20110102-1710.jpg

Arago

Perfect picture! End of the season roosters. Let's hope the birds survive this winter and have a good nesting season. I can't wait till next Fall.

Rooster Chaser

Last week was some of the best hunting of the season for me. Great dog work for my partner and I on Sunday. Just have to scout around to find the birds. full-15714-4750-dsc03991.jpg

muc33

Good stuff crew!

Arago

Now I wished I had got out one last time!

123fish

Holy carp Rooster Chaser how long was the tail feather on that second bird from the left? He dwarfs the rest of those birds. Nice work. I've always wondered what those roosters think when they make it to the last day of a long season and then get dusted. Probably something like..."You have got to be kidding me!"

Walleye Guy

Some pictures of the pheasants from our recent hunt. The funny looking rooster turns out to be a hermaphrodite. There are some interesting pictures on the web if you do a google search. No spurs and funny coloration.

full-455-4782-hunting2010_280pheasants_s

full-455-4783-hunting2010_280pheasants_b

full-455-4784-hunting2010_280pheasants1.

Rooster Chaser

Holy carp Rooster Chaser how long was the tail feather on that second bird from the left? He dwarfs the rest of those birds. Nice work. I've always wondered what those roosters think when they make it to the last day of a long season and then get dusted. Probably something like..."You have got to be kidding me!"
Not Sure, cousin took that one home, did not have real long spurs though.

Two crazy things from that hunt were:

1)We got the birds out of a swamp that someone just walked right before us. Just had to hunt real slow, matter of fact the bird with the long feathers was one the dog caught.

2)Three of the birds had shot in them from earlier in the season. When I cleaned mine there were little fleshed over pockets of feathers under the skin that had shot in the center. No wound in the flesh, just where a pellet was lodged under the skin.

What you cant see in the picture is that the field behind the dog had 20 or so pheasants out feeding in it, kinda like they knew they were safe after 3 months of being chased.

scsavre

Awesome pics, those feet look like an eagles. , I hope you had a hermaphrodite license. cry

Ray1

Here are some pics of a couple walks in MN. I think my last walk was on Dec. 2 so i know i quite way too early but muzzleloading took over and the snow got deep.full-19983-4878-dsci0086.jpg

full-19983-4879-dsci2018.jpg

full-19983-4880-dsci0088.jpg

full-19983-4881-dsci0082.jpg

FishHawk11

I was out driving around on Friday afternoon. Decided to drive past some of the hunting spots around Paynesville. It was blowing snow like crazy, almost a white-out. Got to the last spot and counted 35 birds. Mostly hens, I actually didn't see any that were roostes. I was shocked. Thet would try to get up and fly and the wind would just blow them around. Still good to see, hope they make it through the winter!

Lunker

Here is a pic from my early december trip to SD that I posted about. Was a great trip, right before that huge storm so walking was still easy.

pheasants.jpg