• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck gut wrench

magnum mike

Has anyone ever used one of these tools? It looks like it might work but I would like to know for sure. The fingers are getting a little cold these days pulling the entrails out of these late season ducks. These fat laden birds are excellent in the smoker.

I have one for geese, and it works great. Only have had a chance to use it once, and I got everything out but the hart and liver. It didn't grab the hart and liver because I didn't stick it far enough up. The next time I use it, it should get all the guts out. For 15 bucks, I thought it was worth it.

Thanks for the feedback AD. I ordered one this moring and it should be here for the weekend. How does it work on the lungs?

Why do people use these? Afraid of getting your fingers dirty? Just curious?

Why not step on the wings and pull on the feet. guts usually come with it but you waste the leg meat frown

That works on birds like Pheasants and Grouse. But you cannot transport birds cleaned that way. They have to be whole with wing and head attached.

Mwal

Only time I ever do that is when its dark and im in a hurry. Normally I save all the meat on a pheasant exception wings

What about the bird hitch. I think its locally owned company as well..

BEST WATERFOWL INVENTION IN YEARS.

Thanks for the feedback fellas but I must have not been clear. Part of the preparation is for quality and part is for presentation.

We have a Duck Naked plucker that does an excellent job of removing feathers. Our intent is to pluck and gut ducks with the skin totally intact for smoking. We typically process the ducks when we have reached the possession limit which means at least half of them are very cold this time of year.

I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. I'm not afraid of getting wet either but I wear a rain suit because I think it is smarter than getting wet. “It is wiser to light a candle than curse the darkness…”

Once you use it a few times, it will get everything out, just cut the throat when it comes out. It makes gutting very fast.

I don't mind gutting a duck in the boat when I can rinse my hands, but when I grouse hunt, I keep some thin disposable nitrile gloves in my vest. When I take a bird, I just slip one on my right hand, punch a hole in the bird, gut it, take the glove off inside out, and continue on my hunt. It doesn't work well if you're thinking of saving the gibs though.

That Bird Hitch thing made no sense to me, so I went to find a video. There are a few online. Do they really just waste the leg meat? It looks like it kinda mangles the breast meat too. Seems like a lot gets wasted to me.

I may try the gut wrench great idea to field dress. The bird hitch looks like a good idea also but it does not leave the bird legal to transport. I checked the regs and you cannot use it if you are transporting those birds. If you are home then putting them in the freezer it would work great but if you did that in the field then drove home and got stopped your birds are not legal.

MWal

I met the guy who invented the hitch, he is a big snow goose guy and needed a system for cleaning large volume of birds.

Per the DNR, the hitch is fine for geese, just not ducks and lawn darts.

“A person may not possess or transport unlawfully taken migratory game birds. Migratory game birds must be transported in an undressed condition (ducks and mergansers with head and wing attached; geese with wing attached; and others with a fully-feathered head and both feet attached) at all times until delivery to either the taker’s residence or a commercial processing facility.”

I may try the gut wrench great idea to field dress. The bird hitch looks like a good idea also but it does not leave the bird legal to transport. I checked the regs and you cannot use it if you are transporting those birds. If you are home then putting them in the freezer it would work great but if you did that in the field then drove home and got stopped your birds are not legal.

MWal

thats just a dumb minnesota law regarding both the head and wing attached. (and it only applies to ducks). federal law states only the head OR a wing attached is required for transport. so out here, we hitch em, skin the breasts, and clip a wing. done deal. the bird hitch does not mess up the breasts when run correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the gut wrench. Bought the duck size and used it on pheasants as well. Also not afraid of getting the hands dirty but when theres a slow time in the blind its quick and easy and keeps the bird cool (okay, It great to have clean hands while snacking all day too).

The hitch looks great also but way out of my budget so I choose the cheap $15 wrench.

I called the maker and ordered direct. After a nice chat, he sent me the green(duck) version and threw in the new gray (teal) version. I'm planning on taking the green one to SD for a December pheasant trip. I would think the grey one would work for grouse but the old step on teh wings and pull the feet trick is tough to beat.

• 2 weeks later...