• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Side-imaging sonar reviews

thatoneguy

Katoguy.

Are you using your shaded depth option? If not, give it a try when looking at new lakes. It will really highlight your key areas. Change the settings a few times to see how the map changes

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• delmuts

• Nick Kuhn

• reddog

• harvey lee

FYI: Bruce "Doc" Samson has a new Understanding Side Scan Sonar tips and tricks DVD out.

Anyone who has seen Doc's DVD's knows he does them up in a very thorough manner and they always help take the mystery out of New Tech devices and systems.

I would recommend looking for it.

That is a sweet idea Katoguy. I have been thinking about getting my 998 back out and messing around with the maps and icons.

Do you work for Johnson and fish the Ultimate Bass Tour that Gabby puts together? I think I have seen you around...

NTW, yes & yes. We (Duh & I) fish the Ultimate and the Mankato Area Bass Tour. Before that we fished Southern MN Bass Tour, too. I thought I knew everybody that has fished competetive bass competetions in the last 10-12 yrs around Mankato. Do I know you?

Cool... Well you wouldn't know me from past tourneys in the area since I've only fished bass for a couple years.

I know of you (Stacy?) and Duh because I've kept an eye on the local circuits and made a few friends that fish them. I've fished with Noah S. and Dillon (Pat B's nephew). I haven't introduced myself when I've been at your weigh-ins and whatnot but will make a point to do that next time.

Great info in this thread guys. It was great to read while I was looking into getting a new HB unit. I ordered the 798 si since they cut the prices. I've already learned quite a bit on here and other forums but it will be awesome to get it on some home lakes this season!!!

Great info in this thread guys. It was great to read while I was looking into getting a new HB unit. I ordered the 798 si since they cut the prices. I've already learned quite a bit on here and other forums but it will be awesome to get it on some home lakes this season!!!

My dad picked up the same locator for the same price. Can't wait to get it installed on his boat.

Myself, I am torn between getting a new trolling motor or a new side image finder this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had the time to go through and read all this...TONS of great info.

What do you guys think of just the Down scan or Down imaging units? 99% of the time I'm at a very, very slow speed lindy riggin' or jiggin' and what I've gathered you should be going at least 2mph to get good results.

I like the idea of the side imaging so you can see whats 200' on both sides but how far out (cone/fan angles) does the bottom scan pick up?

I'm guess know ones really played with these as there just coming out this year but if someone has some insight on these that would be great!

The Down Scan and Down Imaging features show you what's right under your boat, just like traditional sonar shows you what's right under your boat.

You need to be moving to get the best down views too, just like you need to be moving to get the best side views.

I almost never have my side view on when I'm fishing, unless I'm trolling crankbaits ---- I use my side view on when the boat is moving and I'm covering some water and looking for structure or fish.

I do use my down views more when fishing ---- moving slow and fishing vertical, working a weedline, casting, etc.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the downscan beam is extremely narrow,(unlike the 200 or 83 2D sonar options) so you have to pay attention to the smallest items that show up on the screen.

I messed around with the inverse and grey settings on Wed last week.

Grey:

S00015.PNG

Inverse:

S00016_1.PNG

Did you ever get to find out what kind of fish those where? I'm pretty new at mine and I have never seen anything like that.

Did you ever get to find out what kind of fish those where? I'm pretty new at mine and I have never seen anything like that.

That's most typical of finding a school of panfish or rough fish. If you troll around in deep water enough, you'll see that eventually (particularly when the water is cold).

I thought they were rough fish to begin with. For the most part, theyre quite large. Im taking the camera with next time to see if I can get a positive ID. Theyve been there for a month and a half.

Looking at the images, Im thinking now that it is a large school of rough fish with a bunch of paddlefish mixed in. Time will tell. We hooked into three of them messing around the first trip, and couldnt handle any of them.

The only time I have seen fish really stacked up like that has been on Pool 4. They were walleyes and we caught them, it turned out to be our best spot of the day and we found it because of the side imaging view.

I've almost never seen anything even close to that in a lake. We did see it a bit trolling cranks in shallow water last fall, but still not the concentration that you see in reddog's screen shots.

A question for those already using side imaging ,,,Is it better to mount the transducer on the right side of the boat,,,due to prop rotation??? or doesnt it matter one way or the other

I currently have my transducer mounting block on the left side

LAS

It doesn't matter. On most V-Hulls, if you mount it on the right your left side display will be darker (and vice versa). If the motor is in the way, just trim it up a bit. Some attenuation due to the motor and transom is pretty much unavoidable. You should still be able to get a decent picture though.

I'll steal reddog's image as a perfect example of this. Also if you look at the center of the picture, you can see the motor/transom noise.

S00009_1.PNG

• 11 months later...

full-22504-17281-foxl..pngBottom left of side imaging screen shows a school of fish.

full-22504-17282-crappiesusingsideimaginHere is the proof that side imaging DOES WORK!

full-22504-17283-s00018.png

And here is a rock bar found with SI.

I know this is a year old, but so is this picture.

paddlefish.jpg