• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opening Weekend 2010

MNUser

Good luck this weekend and be safe. Going with my son and father inlaw. Should be a great day tomorrow. It will be a bonus if we get a couple. Fun to just get out and walk.

Going to make a weekend of it! Bowhunting morning and evening and shootin rooster during the day! LIFE IS GOOD!! Also extremly pumped cause it is the first time my 10 month old british lab puppy will get to retrieve for me!! been out walking the past month or so through crp and he has kicked up lots of birds so it will be a proud father moment to shoot him his first rooty!

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow will be my first time ever going on opening day for Pheasants, and to be honest, my first real day going for them in over 30 years. Tomorrow will be a very fun day for me, and my Lab...she's never been pheasant hunting, so there will be hopefully many good flushes and if the shooter is good enough, a couple of fetches in there as well...

Good luck to everyone tomorrow...

Steve

Any reports on the corn coming out???? I was north of the cities today through Mora and most if not all of it was still in.

I'd say 60% of the corn around here is out.

I went out to a public area this morning and ran into a guy I hunted with in the same area last year. We both walked out with our limit and saw more birds beyond those we shot.

Looking forward to a good meal of pheasant. wink

Was out today and all of the WMA's had at least 1-2 trucks in them. did get a couple good walks in. no birds or points, but the pup worked good and did scent a departing rooster.

Had a great day today, saw lots of birds and my 10 month old pup got his first flust-retrieve combination!! I was definetly a proud owner!! Could have been a little less windy, otherwise beautiful day for an opener!!

We had and eight man sixteen bird limit Saturday in the Worthington area. Shot all of the birds in CRP next to recently harvested corn and beans. 15 of the sixteen were young of the year birds. Only one out of four dogs was sprayed by a skunk so that made the day even better. Quite a few hunters in the area and more corn coming out every day.

Nice weather but the wind had the birds a little jumpy. Seen a lot of birds and some really mature ones. Two I got where at least 2 if not 3 yr old birds. Kicked up some nice bucks too. Went out for an evening duck hunt and finished with 3 nice ringbills...should have had more but I set up to close to where they wanted to land.

Great looking day today! Might chase some walleyes later on.

Was out in Brown County near New Ulm. Pressure wasen't as thick as I thought it was going to be. Hunted a 80 acre plus WMA that had standing corn beside it and plowed on the far side. Had two hunters and two dogs. Flushed 4 hens through out the hike but when we got to the end...all heck broke loose. Kicked up over TWO DOZEN birds in the last 40 yards or so...mostly roosters. Could have filled our bag limit in an hour but shooting and excitment got the best of us, they were also a little jumpy and got up just a little too far for shooting but managed to drop a few! Was just hoping to get the dogs out and see them work and this was just an added bonus!

I was able to get out the last 1 1/2 of the day with my 12yo and 1yr old labs. 5 birds were flushed, pup flushed his first rooster and that one was shot. The pup also turned hard and flushed another bird, but it was after shooting hours. Had a great time.

saw 25 or so. flushed 7 or 8 wild. kicked up 3 roosters and 4 hens within range. got one and missed one. all on public land smile

26 birds for nine guys. There was a lot of shooting, and that's only a day and a half of walking. My male yellow lab decided that he wants to be a pointer and that's fine by me, got an awesome shot on a rooster this morning that he pointed, lots if fun!

It sounds like there was a lot of success in the field this weekend.

I had a visit by a Federal Warden on my way out of a public area this morning. The guy was very decent and only asked to see our shells and licenses. No other questions other than how the hutning was and a few questions about the WPA.

Added one more bird to my possession limit today. Should have had my limit but another hunter was walking in the same line I was walking out when his pup decided to range out and kick up a rooster. Oh well. I was happy to see a good number of birds again today. Especially close to home and on public land.

Two of us hunted public land in SouthWest corner of the state. There were lots of hunters. After walking for quite some time and not seeing much we had three roosters get up at close range in succession when we were walking next to a cornfield. Nocked one down and my friends dog was on it right away. A couple seconds later it was gone and after looking for quite some time could not find trace of it. Talk about from high to low. Hunted a few other areas without success. Then on the way home stopped at another public area. There was not another hunter in sight so we were kind of doubtfull whether the place would hold any birds. The dog immediately went birdy right out of the truck and we shortly had the first rooster of the day in the bag. All heck broke loose after that with the dog going on one point after another. Ended up with three birds total.

Action was spotty around Redfield. We limited by 12:20 the first day and 1:10 the second day, but others we talked to either did great like us or struck out. Seen alot of birds on the road on the way home east of Redfield and around Doland. I'll post pics later.

26 birds for nine guys. There was a lot of shooting, and that's only a day and a half of walking. My male yellow lab decided that he wants to be a pointer and that's fine by me, got an awesome shot on a rooster this morning that he pointed, lots if fun!

Flushing labs will do that from time to time. If they know something is there holding tight and they can smell it but cant see it, they will point. My favorite part about that is when my lab does point, and I tell him to get the bird he does a crazy pounce right on it! Its pretty funny

More hunters than birds. Arrived at the spot early only to have some jerk park not even 50 yards from me and mess up my plans. Oh well, its the things you have to deal with on public land, but I wish the guy would have just stopped to talk and we could have walked together since it would have only been 3 guys and 2 dogs.

Also witnessed another hunter shoot while standing in the middle of the road. It was a rooster that flushed wild in front of us, well out of range and flew right in front of him, his son and another guy while they walked right down the road.

Not a good display in front of a youngster.

Hoping to get out midweek so there are fewer hunters. Dog worked well, but the wind had the birds really running. We tracked one rooster for about 300 yards before it got up. Then it got in the wind, directly into the sun and was gone after 2 hopeless long shots. Usually I get a funny look from the dog when I miss, but this time he seemed to understand. :-)

I know what you mean about the dog! Usually after the dog picks up his first bird of the season he than puts on his game face and really gets mad if I miss a bird!

Hit some public land for 2 hours Saturday morning. My dad's Griff was in heat , so it was just us and my golden. Birds seemed to be in mid-season form. Watched 3 fly off public land into a cornfield accross the road at 8 am. Hunted for an hour before the dog got birdy. Max's tail gets going and he goes mach 3 towards a cedar tree and got up a rooster. One miss as it flew low and downwind, didn't even try a second shot. Next tree he gets birdy and a hen. Walk to the best cover on the spot and nothing. Max gives us the finger and runs into the adjacent cornfield and gets up a couple more, comes back and gives us that told you so look. Had one get up behind us as we were walking out.

Seems like a decent number of birds, but couldn't really tell with corn surrounding most of the public land. Saw about 15 hunters and 7 trucks hunting a wpa on the way home.

Fun to get out and see some wildlife again. Birds 1 me 0. I'm taking quite a few weekdays off this fall. Heading out again on Thursday.

2 long spurred old birds for me today again, my dog points every bird he finds now, it is really cool to see him get birdy and then all of a sudden lock up! On one hen he was the epitome of a pointer, front paw up tail straight out and totally focused on one spot, super cool to watch. My total for the weekend and today was 7. My father didn't get as much shooting but still managed a few, total for our group was 30.

Snag, why do I have a feeling that our dogs might be distant brother/sister. My dog tend to gave me a finger and went into standing corn and stay out there for long time till I seen a lot of birds flushing at end of other field and running back to us and gave us looks " what the f r you doing stand there and look stupid???!!!"" so I do my best avoid the standing corn or otherwise it will be long time before she came back..

Some of you fella's sound like you are doing pretty good. I have having problems finding the roosters. Last night was the first one I seen and shot. Otherwise it has been all hens. Tonight I am going to try to hunt some public land where they just combined the corn next to lastnight.