• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What are your thoughts

JimmyRig565

IMO the original poster felt "entitled" to the trail because he was there first and because he felt "entitled" he thought it was ok to intentionally block someone else from using the trail.

Its this sense of "entitlement" that creates most of the problems on public land.

No one is entitled to any of that land. Is it nice to be by yourself? Sure it is. But is it realistic to expect that you are going to have PUBLIC land all to yourself. No, its not realistic at all.

To intentionally deny someone access to PUBLIC land because you were there first is wrong and I don't see any way around that fact. Can you imagine if you pulled up to a public boat launch to go fishing and you find that there was one boater on the lake and he had parked his trailer across the boat ramp so that you couldn't get on the lake? Essentially thats what the original poster was trying to do to the guy on the ATV.

I think some people forget what the meaning of public land is. The land isn't just open to the first person to get there, its open to everyone and 99.99% of the time there is room for everyone if people would actually talk things out like adults.

Seems to me that the more ATVs on the grouse trails, the more uncivil things get. I've had my share of problems with them. I usually smile and wave or talk to them for a few seconds, but I certainly don't approve of what they're doing. It seems to me that the finite number of miles of public trails available among hunters would go a lot farther if some individuals weren't covering 50+ miles a day by machine.

I keep reading this statement, "Just go off the trails". I have to admit, I bushwhack as much as ANYONE when I grouse hunt, but it usually results in disappointing 'heard' flushes or flushes where you see the bird and can't manipulate the gun quickly enough in the hazel. How are you guys chasing birds in the woods without just flushing them twice as far as you would have on a trail? I suppose you guys have dogs?

After reading all these comments, let me throw this out there.... and see what people have to think.

Say your in line at a resturant or etc. waiting to order and another group/person walks in the door and cut right in front of everyone and orders. they see that you and others were there first but who cares, its a public place and its open to the public... you cant tell me that you wouldnt get alittle bit upset but hey they have just as much right to be there as you do, you cant block them from ordering

Just saying

The guys on the ATV can pass you legally, but it was not very sportsmen like. I would have said something too, but I would have let them pass. I would not have gotten nasty, just remind them of sportsmanship. If you challenge their ethics, maybe the next time they want to pass some foot hunters they will think twice.

After reading all these comments, let me throw this out there.... and see what people have to think.

Say your in line at a resturant or etc. waiting to order and another group/person walks in the door and cut right in front of everyone and orders. they see that you and others were there first but who cares, its a public place and its open to the public... you cant tell me that you wouldnt get alittle bit upset but hey they have just as much right to be there as you do, you cant block them from ordering

Just saying

Not comparing apples to apples here. In telling the guy that you have the right in not letting him pass, you're not only wrong but you're also doing nothing to improve the situation. If the guy was on a legal trail for ATVs he was doing nothing wrong (legally). I agree he was lacking in the ethics department though.

This is only my 2c but IMO, if you plan to grouse hunt on or near a trail where ATVs have legal access, you'll have to accept the fact that you are eventually going to encounter a machine or two and have to learn to share the land.

I would heed the advice of many posts here and hunt away from the trails when ever possible.

Just saying

That depends, are they holding a gun?

Not even a comparison. There are enough Jackholes out there that have no respect for other people out there, best thing to do is NOT JOIN THEM.

Maybe talk to the folks on wheelers and ask their intentions.

On Pheasant Opener I had a guy park his rig not even 50 yards from mine and basically screwed my hunt up. To make matters worse, he got up a rooster (missed it) and we got nothing. IT HAPPENS! I didnt say a word to him and just made an alternate plan. It isnt worth arguing over and you really know what mental state some people are in. Never get in a confrontation with an armed person regardless of who is right.

So if it's public then ATV hunters feel justified in getting in front of someone already hunting a trail on foot? Lakes & streams are public too and if you are a sportsman you don't toss your line in if someone is working a spot. I've had an ATV at my heels, I didn't budge. They saw my truck parked at the trail head and it was a small dead end trail that goes for maybe 3-4 miles. So, I'm a jerk if I don't give up the trail? I've been called worse for standing my ground.

So if it's public then ATV hunters feel justified in getting in front of someone already hunting a trail on foot? Lakes & streams are public too and if you are a sportsman you don't toss your line in if someone is working a spot. I've had an ATV at my heels, I didn't budge. They saw my truck parked at the trail head and it was a small dead end trail that goes for maybe 3-4 miles. So, I'm a jerk if I don't give up the trail? I've been called worse for standing my ground.

No your lucky he didn't run you over.

I cant express this enough. Its common courtesy some have it some don't... Nothing you can do about it,you can make a stink about it but is it worth it in the long run? NO!

Let nature take its course. those people who are walking is more likely to see the bird.... let them fly by on an atv, it will make that bird worry about that atv not you.

Opening week of grouse season I was driving down a dirt road. There is a truck parked in the middle of of it, three guys were standing in the bed of the truck. One of them is shooting at grouse with his beer placed on the top of the cab. The other two stood in the truck bed with beers and shot guns in their hands. After they are done firing I try to pass them and the guys with the beer start yelling at me for going around them and are hanging over the truck bed trying to hit my car. Here I thought they were the "few" bad apples that we always hear about that give all us other hunters a bad name. Now I see a few others here share the same mentality. Now your going to say this is a apples orange comparison. Well both the OP and the hunters I encountered were both trying to claim ownership of a public right away and were acting like a couple armed bullies to get it. Unfortunately I had no cell coverage or they would have met a sheriff or DNR officer on their trip. If I was the guy on the atv I probably would have called as well.