• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2011 Twins

broodwich

The Sox are a big question mark...they have a lot of tweaking to do.

Indians have a long ways to go and I see a handful more years worth of rebuilding.

Tigers might be close but we will have to wait and see what moves they make. They have some good pieces though.

Royals are probably the scariest of the group. They have an awesome system of youth coming up through the organization, probably the best in the big leagues. It's just a matter of a year or two before the Royals are at the top of the division.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zamboni

• mrklean

• Musky Buck

• thorski

Joe Girardi is who I was refering to. He was the 2006 manager of the Year for the Florida Marlins and was fired at the end of the season for not getting along with the owner of the club.

The Twins are a mature team, in years, and they like to promote from within. If they were a bunch of younger guys, they might lean towards promoting the triple-A manager, who would be more familiar with the players. It's not like the organization to go headhunting to bring in a big name to satisfy fan's wants.

As far as playing the Yankees. It's tough to stand out (Mauer) when the guys hitting around you aren't performing. The whole team failed, not on the shoulders of one guy. When you play the big boys, you can't underestimate the importance of being healthy. I would like to have Morneau in the lineup anytime you are playing for keeps.

I think they need some heart, they really looking like they didn't belong. I saw an interview with Cuddy after and he was laughing??? I guess I'd laugh too if I could make that kind of money doing anything!!

I think the Twins were 0-for-the-ALDS with runners in scoring position. That is NOT on Gardy, and was the biggest factor in their series loss. Twins were in position to win both games 1 and 2, but couldn't get it done with RISP.

They went out and made trades to bolster the bullpen and get Fuentes and Capps, which meant you could now use Rausch for the mid-to-late innings. They didn't use those guys (Rausch and Fuentes) properly. Those guys are all closers. They can go in and put out fires and 'save the game' in the seventh (or sixth or eighth) innings. They just weren't used properly. That is on Gardy.

Next year they have to make the mid-season move (or off season move) with an eye toward moving on in the playoffs. Winning the division is no longer enough. The window might close soon; next year, it is time to trade the stud prospect or two for that top tier starter or key bat that will help you in the playoffs...something they didn't do this year (not wanting to give up too much for Cliff Lee).

More batting practice next year to prep for playoffs...maybe an exhibition series against the Cubs just beforehand to bolster their confidence????

Gardy doesn't get near enough heat from the fan-base.

Molitor would be a great replacement now.

The twins are a joke to the folks in New York.

They are a "soft" team and that comes from the manager.

Whether you are down for it not.... Gardy WILL be signing a NEW LONG term deal with the Twins here shortly! In other words he'll be the skipper of the Twins for the foreseeable future with a Tug-BOAT of cash for a job well done.

As our team is we're probably good enough to win it all if the timing and stars are aligned but we could use that big ace in the starting rotation like mentioned above.

The team has great chemistry, but it lacks fire. We do not have guys who will get all fired up, yes at times there's a spark, but you rarely see much emotion from the likes of Mauer, Kubel, Morneau, Span, Young, Thome, and almost the complete pitching staff. Attitude, we needs some of it.

As for 2011, keep entertaining me boys. This year was fun, I'm not going to let a dozen hours of baseball in October spoil the hundreds of hours I was entertained this past summer. (I want the chance to play the Yanks again next October)

1. Stud Pitcher

2. Get rid of Cuddyer

exactly

a guy making 10+ mil that has cuddys numbers is ripping the organization off

1.) new batting coach - can't seem to hit in the postseason if their life depended on it. Plus sick of watching players like Ortiz go somewhere else and change from postseason zeros to postseason hero's.

Didn't follow 'em much at the end of the season, but my impression is they quit hitting about 3 weeks ago. It's a terrible thing when the whole club goes into a slump.

And when the superstars like Delmoney or Kubel or Thome or Mauer slump and can't clutch or even get something started (notice I didn't include Cuddy -- nyuk, nyuk), well there ain't many stud pitchers that can keep a team afloat then anyway.

So, it's just "wait 'till next year".

Where have I heard that before?

Twins 2011 needs:

1. A Legit #1 starter

2. A Legit #4 hitter that will scare the Yanks and light a fire under mauers a$$

(sorry but morneau doesnt count as he cannot be counted on to be healthy anymore)

3. A Legit #2 starter... Move Pavano to #3... Frank to #4... and Duensing to #5

4. Need to get rid of Baker and Slowey... terrible efforts by both

5. A legit starting SS and 2nd that aren't hurt 60% of the season

6. Confidence for Span or he can leave too...

The additional ticket revenue should cover this list...

exactly

a guy making 10+ mil that has cuddys numbers is ripping the organization off

What will Mauer's numbers need to be next year to justify 24 mil?

Thanks Dave... for reminding us you have a problem with Mauer's contract..... I wasn't aware grin

They need to do some tweaking, but most of what we want, won't happen. Just by looking at the ALDS, put the Twins lineup card along side the Yankees and tell me WHERE the Twins have an advantage.

#1 Starter: Sabathia or Liriano

Catcher: Mauer or Posada

1st Base: Cuddy or Texiera

2nd Base: Hudson or Cano

Shortstop: Jeter or Hardy

3rd Base: Valenica or A Rod

Left Field: Young or Gardner

Center Field: Granderson or Span

Right Field: Kubel or Swisher

DH: Thome or Thames

I would say we win the Catcher and DH spot. Left field is a push and we lose the rest...... hard to fault the Manager(although he deserves some criticism if we are going to praise him when the club does well). Joe Torre was a bum until he went to All Star-ville in New York.

My prediction of next years opening day lineup:

Span CF

Casilla 2B

Mauer C

Morneau 1B(hopefully)

Young LF

Thome DH(hopefullly)

Cuddyer RF

Valencia 3B

Hardy SS

Opening Day starter: Liriano

I don't see many, if any new faces as a regular player for the Twins. I believe Cuddy's option has been picked up already. I think they will do what they can to re sign Thome. I don't see Kubel's option being picked up and I really hope they buy out Punto or at least restructure.... if they don't, then I truly believe he has compromising pictures of Gardy. There aren't really any power, #1 starter available, unless you think Lee is that guy and we have a shot at him. I would love to see them go after a young, freaky fast outfield to maybe play center. I think Span's defense was disappointing this year..... I just don't see much change anywhere except the bullpen.... Crain, Rauch, Guerrier are all Free agents.... I would like to see them all back, but it depends on the price.

i dont buy into casilla at all hes got speed and decent fielding but everyday 2nd i dont know i still have flashes of him and gomez just scares me. the one thing we can all agree on is if they pick up puntos 5 million dollar option we should have a revolt. Will the twins keep spending the money they need to to make another run? Many though this year was the year.

Casilla takes Punto's position, utillity fielder and pinch hitter/runner.

Does that mean punto becomes the everyday 2b? Sure hope not but doubt hudson will be back. Id guess next years roster will look about the same as current with no major pickups. Hopefully morneau will be back.

What will Mauer's numbers need to be next year to justify 24 mil?

how many cuddy all-star jerseys do they sell, again?

how many cuddy all-star jerseys do they sell, again?

I'm not sure, do jersey sales help win a play-off series?

Manager: Gardy

Catcher: Mauer

1st base: Swisher

2nd base: Punto, need to upgrade

Shortstop: Tolbert or this is where we pick up a player.

3rd base: Valencia

LF: Repko

CF: Span

RF: Cuddyer

DH: Morneau

Not sure where we are going honestly...

Time to make some moves, Trade Kubel, Young, Casilla Baker, Capps and Crain if they bring anything. I think Thome will be an problem to resign.

Whether you are down for it not.... Gardy WILL be signing a NEW LONG term deal with the Twins here shortly! In other words he'll be the skipper of the Twins for the foreseeable future with a Tug-BOAT of cash for a job well done.

As our team is we're probably good enough to win it all if the timing and stars are aligned but we could use that big ace in the starting rotation like mentioned above.

The big aces do not come for free. I do not believe the owners will spend the needed funds for a great one. They spent it all on Mr I cannot get any hits in the playoffs Mauer.

I do not believe the Twins owners will do much at all. It costs money to improve and they spend more this season than they have in a long time.

I would guess is what you see is what you get.

Gardy the wonderful can get them to the play offs but thats where it ends. I guess we need to be happy with that as its all the farther Gardy goes.

The yanks can buy to reload and we have to draft and develop and the yanks are golden if they draft one that turns out like Jeter or Cano. Phillies are a mini yankee as they spend on Halladay and Oswalt and Cliff Lee, they know a horse is needed plus what Cole Hammels did. I'm with Big Dave on Mauer when it comes to $ for a catcher, look at the playoff catchers left, Buster Posey rookie, Ruiz, Posada, and either Jaso or who is Texas' guy Saltamachachia lol or ? Anyone remember Tim Laudner in 1987 ? Hit like .171. Look at the SF giants, can't hit or score much, but there pitching will shut you down. Anyway I love Joe, just don't think he should've got 100 million more than Moneau's contract. Should've offered him the same as Morneau, take it or leave it. He already had his personal bowling alley, hunting land, batting cage, etc, etc, etc, as I drive by that property often, won't reveal it's location but he had everything before he ever signed this huge deal. I'd clink my beer glass right with ya big dave.