• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goose jerky or goose sausage?

I'd like to try some new recipe's on waterfowl this year. I've heard one can make a pretty good goose sausage. Also heard ducks and geese make good teriyaki jerky. Any suggestions?

I would think sausage might be nice for many pounds of goose breast. With the 3 goose daily limit this year, that's quite a lot of meat for my eldest son and I to process. Any good goose sausage recipe's out there?

I started grinding my goose and mixing with 80/20 ground beef and making that type of jerky and love it. Pretty much the only way I eat goose anymore. It is very time consuming though

80% burger and 20% ground goose? Or the other way around? I know making jerky is time consuming. My kids absolutely love it. I spend two days grinding, seasoning, curing, and smoking venison, and my kids eat a gallon ziplock bag of it in a couple hours! I have to hide it if I want any. cry

sorry, i mix 50/50 goose and beef using 80% lean ground beef. I am debating whether to go with 73% lean ground beef and uping the pecentage of goose but everyone, including me, that tries what I make thinks its too good to change

the quickest and easiest way to make goose jerky without much hassle is to do the following:

pick up a bag of morton quick cure salt

slice your goose or duck breasts into jerky sized strips.

in a 1 gallon plastic zip lock add 1 table spoon of quick cure for every 1 pound of meat. add whatever marinade or spices you would like, mix so the salt is evenly distributed, and marinade for a minimum of 24 hours.(I usually let it sit for 2 or 3 days.)

place strips on dehydrator or oven jerky racks and let it run for about 2 hours, rotate racks and let go for another 2-3 hours depending on slice thickness.

as far as grinding goose or duck, i buy bacon ends and pieces in bulk and add 1 lb of that to every 5-6 lbs of snow goose in the spring.

Goose Jerky is prolly the best tasting way to eat the flying carp that I've tried so far. Stuff is yummy. Never tried the sausage though.

Jerky is the only way I eat goose anymore. I'm done experimenting with trying to make that bird palatable. Besides, it turns into some of the hands-down best jerky, so why ruin a good thing?

My method is simple:

1) Slice goose thinly across the grain (for some reason, this step is difficult for certain individuals. I'm pretty good at slicing thin cuts of meat, but if you're having trouble, partially freeze the breast before slicing.)

2) Get a jerky seasoning kit.

3) Follow directions for seasoning and curing from kit.

4) Marinade for at minimum 24 hours (some of my best jerky has been made after a 3-day soak).

5) Dehydrate meat.

6) Eat jerky.

I've never seen the need to try a "recipe" for jerky. For me, the kits do the trick and they turn out fantastic.

Thanks guys. Any of you ever put a little smoke to your jerky or sausage? Sounds like most simply dehydrate. Any particular seasonings work best with waterfowl? Teriyaki, sage, peppered, etc.?

Say, if I'm using scrap game bird meat to make jerky (ground), does anyone know if it's safe to use the giblets in the jerky or do those have to be cooked?

Say, if I'm using scrap game bird meat to make jerky (ground), does anyone know if it's safe to use the giblets in the jerky or do those have to be cooked?

any meat is safe to make jerky out of as long as you properly cure it.

just sliced up a fresh batch of breasts for jerky; this batch is marinading in mango habenjero sauce from buffalo wild wings...did that while i had 2 smaller goose breasts pan searing with peppers and onions. goose is easy to cook. the key is you cannot cook it past medium rare. once the meat hits 135 degrees in the center i'm eating it.

Thanks carpshooterdeluxe. Your goose dishes sound fantastic. That mango habanero is good stuff! I got a shirt at BWW a few years ago for conquering the Blazin' Buffalo Challenge.

Goose Jerky is good. Small strips marinaded in whatever you want and cook for 5hrs on your lowest setting on the oven

I bought a bottle of Teriyaki marinade/seasoning this morning. If I were to mix this in with the jerky seasoning would it make a good tasting jerky?

Goose Jerky is good. Small strips marinaded in whatever you want and cook for 5hrs on your lowest setting on the oven

I have no idea. I don't experiment much with mixing stuff because of the possibility of spoilage (i.e. too much seasoning and not enough cure could throw of recipe balance). I pretty much strictly follow the directions on the package, moresoe because I'm paranoid than because of taste. My favorite was a Cajun mix made by Shore Lunch, but they discontinued it last year (it was marked down to 2.79 at Scheels up here in Fargo, so I cleaned 'em out).

I bought a bottle of Teriyaki marinade/seasoning this morning. If I were to mix this in with the jerky seasoning would it make a good tasting jerky?

No. but then again i hate teriyaki! lol. you should be fine.

Get the breasts smoked! You will love them. Make sure its done by someone that knows what there doing and it will turn out great.

I have smoked and have had them smoked and they are good but they are to lean for smoking. IMO jerky is the best way to do them jack links makes a cure and aseasoning package that is awsome I bought mine on line last time and will do it again. I'am going to try them in sausage this year depending on who many I get.

a buddy of mine smokes hundreds of snow geese and ducks every year; the trick is to brine them first. he smoked up 20 snows while we were prepping for early goose opener and we ate em like candy.

It seems everyone is smoking their goose breasts. So I gave it a try. can you guys tell me where you shop? I searched high and low for the proper equipment but no one around here sells a pipe big enough to put a goose breast in! gringrin

No i dont smoke anything from a pipe legal or illegal. Just had to throw this out there for a laugh...

Try taking your goose breasts in to Schreador (sp)? Meats in New Germany, Mn. Have their Works Brat made. Jalapeno pepper/ Pepper jack cheese mixed in. By far the best thing we have ever done with goose meat. You will like this!!!!

How about Goose Confit? We had duck confit once and it was great. The meat is salted and seasoned for a period of time and then cooked very slowly in melted (duck) fat. You probably could use some other fat, since buying duck fat is kind of expensive and wild birds probably don't have enough.

Look up a recipe. I couldn't believe how good it was. But what happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas. Except for a few pounds that I brought home. It was at Emerils Fish House.

Try taking your goose breasts in to Schreador (sp)? Meats in New Germany, Mn. Have their Works Brat made. Jalapeno pepper/ Pepper jack cheese mixed in. By far the best thing we have ever done with goose meat. You will like this!!!!

How do you get around transport laws?

Thanks for the tips guys. I've smoked a lot of different kinds of meat, and pretty much have it down to a science. I was thinking about curing our goose breast with a nice jerky seasoning, and a touch of Teriyaki, then putting just an hour or so of smoke to em' for additional flavor. I'd likely finish em' in the oven.

Still like to hear if anyone's had any luck with some type of duck or goose sausage. I've been tinkering with different types of venison and bear sausage, but am thinking there's gotta be a way to do this with waterfowl as well.

5-6 honkers give up a good 10 lbs. of raw breast meat. Add 20 pounds of beef trimmings and we should have a nice 1:3 ratio of sausage mix. I just need a good recipe'.

Biggest problem I have with smoking ducks and geese is getting them to sit still long enough to keep em' lit! And then there's all the honking and quacking!!! laugh