• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Planning SD trip-Advice Please

Lunker

Too many people complaining about too many hunters, we even got groups of hunters complaining about other groups ruining the sport.

Would I call it selfishness, yep!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pureinsanity

• zdmiller

• Acemac

• creepworm

I'm just gonna highlight some of the points made earlier that I find to be true.

It is much easier to get permission to hunt private land later in the season. The farmer that turns you down the first couple of weekends might very well say yes come mid-November.

You can get a lot of birds on public land...but do some scouting. Not all public land is created equal.

People have mentioned the Clark/Redfield/Hand County area. That area is outstanding. But I will also add the McPherson County, Edmumds County area...lots of public land and not as much pressure, and plenty of birds.

To the earlier post...yes, $114 for a non-resident pheasant license. Good for two seperate five-day periods (10 total days of hunting).

Watch the regs...a lot of public land (and even road hunting next to the public land) is steel/non-toxic shot only.

Alright, if I am reading this correctly I can road hunt legally in SD. Does that mean shooting out of my vehicle? Just wondering because I do not have a place to store my dog and would not mind eating a few birds.

Here are the general guidelines from the South Dakota hunting handbook on road hunting.

Hunting on Public Road Rights of Way

Public road rights of way are open for the hunting of small game and waterfowl (see Dove, Youth

Pheasant, and Resident-Only Pheasant seasons for special road hunting restrictions). However, no

person may hunt within 660 feet of schools, churches, occupied dwellings and livestock. Furthermore,

neither the person discharging a firearm nor the small game animal being shot at may be within the 660-

foot safety zone.

The public right of way along a section line or other highway is open for hunting if:

1. The right of way has been commonly used by the public for vehicular travel, as demonstrated by the

existence of a well-worn vehicle trail.

2. An intentional alteration or adaptation has been made to the right of way to enhance the natural terrain's

utility for vehicular travel or to permit vehicular travel where it was not possible before.

NOTE: Fences are sometimes not on a right of way boundary and sometimes there is no fence. Most

section line rights of way are 66 feet wide. Some acquired rights of way are wider.

• Hunters can take only small game (except mourning doves) and waterfowl within the right of way on foot.

The hunter must be within the right of way and the game must have taken flight from within or be flying

over the right of way.

• The person must park or stop their vehicle as far to the right-hand side of the road as possible.

• If the person who discharges a firearm is more than 50 yards from the vehicle, the doors on the side of

the vehicle nearest the roadway must be closed, but the engine may remain running.

• If the person who discharges a firearm is less than 50 yards from the vehicle, all of the doors of the

vehicle must be closed and the engine shall be turned off.

• It is NOT legal to shoot small game and waterfowl that takes flight from a public right of way over a

Federal Refuge or Indian Tribal Trust lands. If a State-licensed hunter shoots at a bird across the fence on

either of these lands, the hunter may be subject to arrest by Federal Fish & Wildlife officers.

• Small game and waterfowl taken from the right of way but falling onto private property can be retrieved by

unarmed hunters on foot.

• No person may discharge a firearm, muzzleloader, crossbow or bow and arrow at any big game animal,

except turkey to be taken with a shotgun using shot shells or with a bow and arrow, from within the right of

way of an improved public highway.

• A person may not discharge a firearm or other weapon across or from any Black Hills National Forest

system road.

• Any person who, while hunting a road right of way, negligently endangers another person, or puts that

person in fear of imminent serious bodily harm, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

I do need to add that if you are on a road adjacent to public land that requires steel/non-toxic shot, that you must use steel/non-toxic shot if you are road hunting next to that land. Also, it is not legal to road hunt a state/federal highway or interstate highway, as well as most county highways. A general rule of thumb is that if the road is paved, it is off limits. Gravel/unimproved roadways are generally legal for road hunting.

No, you cannot shoot out of your vehicle. But yes, you can legally hunt on the right of way of the road. If I remember correctly, you can have your weapon uncased in the vehicle but must not be loaded. I didn't see that in the regs but believe that is the case.....Correct me if I'm wrong please.

From the S.D. GFP Hunting Regulations:

No person who is in or on a motor vehicle,

except those hunters with Disabled Hunter

Permits, may discharge a firearm or a bow and

arrow at any wild animal except coyotes,

jackrabbits, rodents, skunks, badgers, raccoons,

and red and gray fox.

No person may allow a firearm to protrude from

a motor vehicle or a conveyance attached to it

while the vehicle is on a public road during a

hunting season. However, a firearm may

protrude from a motor vehicle when shooting at

coyotes, jackrabbits, rodents, skunks, badgers,

raccoons, and red and gray fox.

That is what I figured. Don't think I will actually do any road hunting just because it does not seem very sportsmanlike but if I am heading home from duck hunting and see one I may try to get it.

Back to the original thread, if you are planning on hunting public land and would like to look at where there is quite a bit before you make plans you should check this out. It was very helpful for me.

http://arcgis.sd.gov/Server/GFP/HuntingAtlas/

Alright, I can road hunt legally in SD. Does that mean shooting out of my vehicle?

Now that is a good one!!! Ha Ha...................NO!!!

I did not think that you could do that. I guess that is what I think of when I see the words road hunting so that is why I asked.

I don't generally road hunt, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can have the gun uncased but no round in the chamber. Whether you can have one in the magazine I'm not sure.

ONE MORE THING TO NOTE! Since we are talking public land, I believe you are required to use steel shot.

Also, I dont hunt around Pierre but I have a buddy who has, and they have done really well on public land. I believe theres alot more public land out there as well.

I haven't looked at the regulations but I think most of south dakota is steel shot when going to walk in areas, if it is a federal walk in area I know for sure its steel shot only. I do not think all public lands are steel though. But it doesn't hurt just to use steel shot when hunting public regardless.

zdmiller. the regulations are sketchy on the uncased gun. I know it can be uncased for sure. NO rounds in the chamber. But I think you can have rounds in the magazine.

Ill have to contact the dnr out there because the regulations don't state you can have them in the magazine.

You can have the rounds in the magazine and you can even have one in the chamber, but the bolt needs to be broke open. on my semi-auto I can lock the bolt open and just release it when I get out, leaving a round in the chamber.

Walk-in areas (white signs) they recomend using steel, but not required, and all other public ground most likly is steel. If you plan to hunt mostly public, I would suggest using all steel. If you are checked and you have some birds with steel and some without, it may be a hard sell to prove where they was shot (Public or private).

Very Informative post sdpikehntr! Thank you!

I wouldn't recommend having a shell in the chamber. Who knows what could happy if you hit the button and or got in a wreck and somehow the shotty was discharged!!! frown

I'll lay a little scenario down for you guys about uncased guns and you can be the judge. Mind you, this was in North Dakota, but it has very similar regulations regarding the transportation of firearms as South Dakota:

A couple years ago, me and a couple buddies were heading back to Grand Forks from a spring snow goose hunt. My buddy, a lead foot, got pinched going 76 in a 55 as we neared town.

"So," officer says, as he looks at my buddy's radar detector, "looks like my radar is a bit faster than you fuzz buster."

Har-har-har...

"What's your hurry?" he asks.

"Nothing," my buddy says. "We're just getting back from hunting."

"Hunting," the officer says. "Well can I check your guns."

We say of course, and say they're in the back seat.

He picks up the first gun. "Who's is this?" He asks. My one buddy says its his. "Is it loaded?" officer asks. "I don't think so," buddy says. Officer works the action and puts it back.

He picks up another gun. "Who's is this?"

"Mine," I say.

"Is it loaded?"

"No," I say, "There isn't a round in the chamber, but there are two rounds in the magazine."

"So it's loaded," he says.

"No, it's not," I say. "As you can see, the chamber is open and empty, but there are two rounds in the magazine."

Not saying a word, he takes the gun out of the gar, walks to the back, and works the action until the rounds fling out onto trunk of the car. He sets the gun back and picks up the last gun.

"Two in the magazine, but the chamber is empty," my driver says.

Officer goes through the same dance as mine, brings the gun back and sets it, empty, in the back seat.

"Ok, I'm going to need you two to come step out of the vehicle and sit in my squad car," he says, motioning to the driver and myself.

We give each other a quizzical look and get out of the car. Once in the back seat, my buddy speaks up.

"Are we in trouble?"

"I'm getting you" points at my friend "for speeding, and you're both getting written up for having loaded weapons in a motor vehicle."

The blood drains from my face. At that time, I'm 22 years old and don't even have a parking ticket on my record (still don't, thank you very much). My buddy, a wild one, has a tad dirtier slate.

"B-b-b-but the guns w-w-w-were unloaded," I stammer. "There wasn't a round in the chamber."

"But there was in the magazine," officer says, "and that qualifies as a loaded weapon."

We both get a date with a judge and my friend also walks away with a 12 dollar speeding ticket (yes, 12 smackers for going 20 over...North Dakota has to be the most speeder-friendly state in the Union.)

Being scared to death, I get a lawyer. Even though I am a firearms safety instructor and know I'm in the clear, I'm freaking out about getting a felony misdemeanor.

My buddy, either being smarter or simply cheaper, fends for himself and my lawyer gets both our cases thrown out. I never did get the judge's ruling, whether he sided with us because of North Dakota's hunting laws, or simply threw it out for lack of evidence.

Either way, to this day, I do not ever, ever, ever ride with a gun if it has shells in the magazine. Even though I'm 99 percent sure I'm right, I never want to go through that debacle again. It took my entire tax rebate and savings fund to pay for that lawyer when I hardly had a nickle to my name.

Besides, even though it may be legal, I feel a lot safer knowing a gun is empty in my vehicle. And as a firearm safety instructor, that makes a lot more sense anyway.

In short, do what you think is right, but in the end, for God's sake, just be smart and BE SAFE!

Good luck!!!

This is from the ND Regs.

It is illegal to carry a firearm in or on a motor-driven vehicle with a shell in the chamber. The entire cylinder of a revolver is considered the chamber, requiring the revolver to be completely unloaded. It is illegal to carry any muzzleloading firearm in or on a motor-driven vehicle with a cap or primer in place or powder in the flash pan.

Seems pretty clear what the intention of the law is here.

This is from the ND Regs.

It is illegal to carry a firearm in or on a motor-driven vehicle with a shell in the chamber. The entire cylinder of a revolver is considered the chamber, requiring the revolver to be completely unloaded. It is illegal to carry any muzzleloading firearm in or on a motor-driven vehicle with a cap or primer in place or powder in the flash pan.

Seems pretty clear what the intention of the law is here.

That's what I figured, too. Clear as a bell. But what happened to me still happened. All I'm saying is to be careful.

Love brining friend out there and loading the gun and setting it next to me in the truck.First timers are always so unsure of it.I always have a loaded rifle with too(not chambered)....for my little howling buddies. My Dad was a CO in SD. Always carry a reg book for when you have to deal with pay to hunt foo's and over zealous land owners. Know what a section line is also. I still can't believe people "pay" to hunt in SD. The corn zombies are hilarious!!Even get bused in the "short" bus.

Here is my response to loaded firearms in South Dakota. The email was sent to me from the CO Supervisor

South Dakota laws and regulations do not require shotguns or rifles to be cased while transported in vehicles. In addition, there are no specific laws or regulations dealing with whether or not gun those firearms may be loaded (in either the chamber or the magazine). However, SD Game, Fish and Parks highly recommends that firearms transported in this manner be completely unloaded. SD has recently seen several serious hunting accidents (some of them fatal) that have occurred while loaded firearms were being removed from vehicles.

I Would HATE to be a cop or CO in South Dakota! knowing potentially everyone you pull over can legal have a loaded gun in their vehicle. Not that the thought doesn't happen here. But you catch my drift!

Very nice Pure. Seriously, the reason one would want the gun loaded and uncased in vehicle is for road birds. Myself, I will have the chamber open with 2 shells ready in my hand. As I step out of the vehicle one is tossed in the chamber, action worked and one slid into the mag. Tactical loading has helped me perfect this so it takes a matter of a second to be ready. I figure 2 shells is about all the time you'll have if you were too come in contact with birds as you exit your vehicle. If time were to permit, then you will have enough time to complete your loading. Safety is should always be the biggest concern. There are plenty of birds, they are not worth yours or anothers life.

I agree with you on your two shell statement. About the only time I leave the magazine loaded is if we are transferring spots that is literally just down the road. If we are travel for miles, or road hunting I do the two shell method otherwise.

no vac needed for snakes unless your hunting out at the national grasslands by pierre. even then though it will be too cold and the odds of running into a snake would be slim.

The end of Nov?? you won't have to worry about snakes or skunks. The snakes will be denned and the skunks will be in hibernation. The only concern you will have will be other hunters, both deer and pheasant.

Oh.......and if you hunt in clark county, make sure to go to the HENRY STEAKHOUSE, their prime rib is to die for!! Also their buscuits and gravy for breakfast is amazing!!

The end of Nov?? you won't have to worry about snakes or skunks. The snakes will be denned and the skunks will be in hibernation. The only concern you will have will be other hunters, both deer and pheasant.

Wish I could believe you, My dogs been sprayed at the 3rd week in november..

guess I did not think about deer hunting....

what are the blaze req. for bird hunters during deer season? can I get by with my bird vest and a blaz cap? or will I need to get a total Blaze top? I hate that color! gives me chills....

guess I did not think about deer hunting....

what are the blaze req. for bird hunters during deer season? can I get by with my bird vest and a blaz cap? or will I need to get a total Blaze top? I hate that color! gives me chills....

I would recommend you read the SD Hunting Regulations Handbook